My brand new phone won't recognise my internet

Advice on using Mobile Phones within the TRNC: SIM Cards, Repairs, cheap calls to UK...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

My brand new phone won't recognise my internet

•   Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

I bought a XIAOMI Redmi Note 8 Pro this afternoon but it won't recognize the Nethouse Wi-fi system. The guy in the shop Bluetoothed all the info from my Huawei and all seemed OK. But obviously couldn't do anything about the house Wi-fi. It automatically shows my name in blue which says saved and then shows authenticating but then asks for password and doesn't recognize it. I managed to speak to Nethouse office just before they closed and they can't see what I might be doing wrong and am trying to avoid yet another trip in Girne if I can avoid it to visit the the Phone store. Really want to get online tonight if at all possible.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: My brand new phone won't recognise my internet

•   Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Not trying to teach my granny to suck eggs, but are you putting in wifi name and password exactly as it should be? Not mixing up lower/upper case or putting in a 1 instead of letter L kind of thing, or vice versa?

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Further, if you have a laptop, you should be able to double check what your wifi details are.
Instructions for Windows 10 https://www.itechtics.com/2-ways-find-s ... indows-10/

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Post by erol »

If you know your wifi password (and the link above should help if you do not but have a windows laptop that does connect) then try forgetting the network on the phone and then reconnect from scratch,

On android this is usually done buy touching and holding down on the wifi name from the list of wifi devices the phone can see, which should bring up an option to forget the network

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Sorry Erol but I'm obviously being stupid but where are other devices shown. All its showing is my name. What other devices should it show and where. I have tried it with and without auto connect on. Says signal strength is good, shows IP settings and shows a Security password. Yes, the password is spot on. Tried that first - Upper and lower case correct plus the 20 numbers, as required.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Sophie on your Xiaomi phone, go to Settings, then come down to Wi-Fi, go into that. Then swipe down until you come to Additional Settings and go into that. Come down to Manage Saved Networks, go into that and find the name of of your Wifi on the list, tap on the name of your wifi and it will come up with a message to delete, press Forget Network and then start again from scratch.

Ozankoy Best Butcher
Business contributing to forum
Business contributing to forum

•   Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Ozankoy Best Butcher »

Hi Sophie, if you haven`t already tried it, try rebooting your house router, just switch it off at the plug, wait about ten seconds and then turn it back on. I had this exact same problem but with a new laptop and the only thing that worked was rebooting the router. I still have no idea what the problem was, it came and went intermittently for a few months and then just sorted itself out (probably jinxed myself there) so worth a try.
Karen
Ozankoy Best Butchers, Yusuf Zorlukasap at 16 Muhtarlik Sok, Ozankoy, Girne.
Tel. 0533 870 3974, 815 6806, Facebook @OzankoyButchers

English and Cypriot cuts, sausages and sliced deli meats.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Alphamike, I really did think you had cracked it. All was going just fine until "starting from scratch". It just wouldn't go back to "scratch" and I end up going round in circles.!! I asked the store to confirm that wi-fi was working and he put in their store wi-fi password (there was also a whole load of nearby shops etc) so I assumed all would be well. However no such list appears (only my name) not even next door and their MM always used to appear on my Huawei screen. Not sure whether my first port of call should be mobile store or NetHouse? BTW they moved my SIM card from the Huawei to the new mobile after transferring everything via Bluetooth, Is this relevant?

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Oh heck Sophie, now I have no idea. I'll have a look back at this in the morning with a hopefully fresh mind which isn't tired. Sorry that I cannot help further tonight.

Hopefully Erol or someone else with better knowledge than I will come back with something a bit sooner.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Thanks everyone for your help, and have tried all your suggestions at least twice. At least I can use Turkcell for calls and messages, as I can't get back into Girne until tomorrow. I bought a new Lenova laptop at the same time, looking forward to setting that up as well until I realised that the b======y thing has a Turkish keyboard. I can adapt but "him in doors" (its his Christmas present) threw a wobbly. I'll have to buy some new stick on letters etc and get someone to change to UK set up. I told him he should only type words using QWERTY AND 1 - 0 but he wasn't amused. Can't think why!!??

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Hurray, after doing absolutely nothing with the Xiaomi for at least 12 hours, I turned it on this morning, and it worked first time recognising Wi-fi password and everything but I now have another problem with the original Huawei which has gone nuts. (put on another thread) and hopefully you guys will be as knowledgeable.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Excellent news, glad that you are sorted....with that phone at least.

Return to “MOBILE PHONES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”