Cheap PAYG required

Advice on using Mobile Phones within the TRNC: SIM Cards, Repairs, cheap calls to UK...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Cheap PAYG required

•   Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

One of our Vodafone contracts has come to an end from the UK. In any event we have to pay £6 each day if we use it which means when my wife is out in the car on her own we have to swap phones. So we are looking for the cheapest and easiest way to have a SIM card that will be used for very occasional calls and emergencies. We did have a local SIM card once before but it had to be topped up every month and you lost all the unused data which there was always plenty of.

I realise we will need to buy a local unlocked phone as well. So suggestions please as what is the best deal out there at the moment. I have searched the forum but most of the threads are ages old so no doubt things will have changed now. I have also looked at both Telsim and Turkcell neither of which have helped at all.

We are in Catalkoy so any suggestions as to which shop near here to go to would be helpful as well.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Cheap PAYG required

•   Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Find out which provider the majority of your local contacts use and go with that one.... all but a couple of ours use Turkcell, so we use that one - but your circle of friends maybe weighted towards Telsim...

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

To be fair Groucho that isn't that important. Jane uses the phone when in the house via the wifi and will only use the phone to actually make a call or send a text outside of the house rarely or in an emergency. It really is just so she can have the ability to use it in those rare occasions hence why we don't want to be paying lots every month for what we won't use.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Chris, I have contract phone with Turkcell, don't use it much and rarely phone anyone but use "Msgs" when out and about. I do have a "Bolt On" Internet service as well which costs me 54TL a month but if I get rid of that and just drop back to normal use my bill is about 25TL a month.

Just for info buddy.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

I'm on contract with KKTCell too, just the bog standard until recently when I added internet. I rarely use the phone for calls and SMS, and prior to getting internet, my bill was usually even lower than Waddo's just having the standing charge which was under 10TL per month.

What kind of phone are you looking for? If it's just a basic non-smart phone, there's the place just along from Tim's and Master Roaster, sorry can't remember the name, they also do sell the smart phone variety.
I ended up not going for a basic phone and got a Xiaomi which am very happy with, but bought from elsewhere.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Thanks for the replies folks.

I think we need a smart phone as it will replace the very old one that Jane is using now which forever needs charging. Plus we can use it back in the UK if it has a dual sim. I will call into a KKTC shop and see what I can get.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »