Inaccurate charges - Vodafone UK Global Roaming

Advice on using Mobile Phones within the TRNC: SIM Cards, Repairs, cheap calls to UK...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Asia111

Inaccurate charges - Vodafone UK Global Roaming

•   Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Asia111 »

If you have a UK Vodafone Global Roaming package check out your charges on your app and monthly bill and protect yourself -amending settings and set your spending limit to zero.

There are a number of people you have phoned or texted UK or checked their voicemails as per their unlimited calls and text package and have been charged for the calls as if they had phoned USA (very high rate!).

There seems to be a Vodaphone systems problem whereby your calls or texts or voicemail check is being rerouted to USA or elsewhere. I got caught out a couple of weeks ago. I contacted Vodaphone customer services and they credited me for the overcharge and set my spending limit to zero. Hopefully it won’t happen again!

ljarvo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Inaccurate charges - Vodafone UK Global Roaming

•   Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Post by ljarvo »

Thank you - yes i also got caught out with this. They refunded last month but i had the same problem this month. They absolutely insisted I had called America. Its seems to be a problem with the routing of the call from Turkey.

wrymouth
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Post by wrymouth »

Many thanks Acacia I have adjusted our 2 Vodafone accounts accordingly.

Asia111

•   Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Asia111 »

ljarvo wrote:
Thu 01 Jul 2021 12:55 pm
Thank you - yes i also got caught out with this. They refunded last month but i had the same problem this month. They absolutely insisted I had called America. Its seems to be a problem with the routing of the call from Turkey.
My first online chat with Vodaphone said the charges were relating to me checking my voicemail and would probably resolve when billing for the month was completed.
…..the problem did not resolve ……..the second online chat with another representative was a bit of a challenge. Asked why it had taken me several hours to query the charge!
Then insisted I was not in North Cyprus but that I was located in USA and had made calls from USA!
I was then told I had made calls to USA.
Eventually said on this occasion Vodafone would credit me and set my spend to zero for me.
I thought the spend adjustment might stop me making calls to UK - made a couple this month without a problem. So far not been charged any extra.
Advice - Screenshot any online chats and note any names of Vodafone reps and details of conversations.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Trying to chat to them on line at the moment but it isn't working. They truly are a nightmare.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Well an update to my post above. I eventually managed to get through to someone on the on line chat. You cannot email them apparently.

So knowing about this problem from this post and one from Facebook I checked my phone and I had incurred charges for calls made last month. I never use my phone to phone anyone through the Vodafone network and make calls via Facebook Messenger or Whatsapp. I made two calls in June one to voicemail which cost me £3.18 and one to customer services at Vodafone that cost me £5.50. Both of these should have been free calls. I am on their Unlimited Max contract and should have free calls, messaging and internet use even out here.

OK I realise that my charges are very small and nothing like the £300 discussed elsewhere but I don't see why I should have to pay for a free call to Vodafone customer services. In fact my other option today was to ring them on 191 free from my phone which was what I did the other day for 1 minute 17 seconds that cost £5.50.

As expected the excuse today was that I had called the USA on both of these calls. I assured them that I had in fact called their free numbers in the UK but that seemed to baffle the first customer service man and he vanished never to be heard of again. I was then connected to a Female who seemed to be able to understand that this is a problem known to them and then by sending her screen shots of the record of recent phone calls from my phone screen which clearly showed the number called was their UK contact numbers it was agreed to reimburse me for the costs.

It is obvious there is an issue with the equipment here or in Turkey creating a false record of where the calls were made to. I would strongly suggest that anyone who is with Vodafone UK checks their bills to see if they have incurred charges for calls that they were not expecting. I would also suggest that they take a screen shot of their phone calls to use as proof of where and when they have made calls.

I have to say that this for me is the straw that broke the camel's back for me with Vodafone. Having had to go to Unlimited Max contract to avoid the £6 a day charge for using your phone outside of the EU roaming countries and then not much longer being told that I was in breach of their fair usage conditions because I have been in the TRNC for too long so may receive a warning and after that incur further charges I think I will be looking elsewhere for a UK phone number.

Asia111

•   Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Asia111 »

Yes Chriswright03, understand how you feel.

I too changed to unlimited max when other packages no longer supported roaming in North Cyprus.
I very rarely use my phone now unless home when I use own internet and whatsapp. Have a local mobile for when I am out and about.
Unfortunately tied into 2 year contract so another year to go.

Fortunately I already had my extra spending limit settings capped to £10, but as you quite rightly say it is the principal, not the amount. Also, to be blatantly accused of being located in USA or making calls to USA - how rude!

Asia111

•   Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Asia111 »

Received a text apology today from Vodafone re charges. Only took them a month to apologise
See att screenshot
Attachments
1EBA54C0-1B3F-41DC-964C-9F6CE293DFF1.jpeg

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I received that as well. I notice they speak of 'a' phone call and not plural so it remains to be seen if they have credited for more than one. I would suggest that if anyone rings them on their free phone number they request that the person answering logs the call time and exact number you have rang and get them to confirm they are not in the USA.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Had two phones both on the same contract wife kept getting the you've exceeded text even though she had the two texts saying no charges
I'd tried the online chat an hour wasted .
Then a direct chat with a nice Indian lady who compared the two contracts and made notes on the one that had wrongly been charged another hour
End of the month we were billed for just short of £10 extra
I put off the complaining phone call couldn't face another hour
BUT last night the apologetic text money to be credited to next bill ($$)

Return to “MOBILE PHONES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”