Buying mobile phone in UK

Advice on using Mobile Phones within the TRNC: SIM Cards, Repairs, cheap calls to UK...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

sammydavis
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Buying mobile phone in UK

•   Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Post by sammydavis »

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of buying a mobile from say Amazon, (assuming that I can't get the one I want here) and asking a friend to bring it here. I presume he would have to declare it at the border and pay import duty? Any idea how much? Then of course I would have to register it here too.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Buying mobile phone in UK

•   Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

The phone will as you say have to be registered by going to the office in Lefkosa and they will work out how much but it depends on the make and model as the price differs. Have a look at Sharaf as they do some reasonable (for here) priced phones and you would neither have to register it nor pay import tax yourself.

https://sharafstore.com/en/mobile/

sammydavis
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Post by sammydavis »

Thanks for that but on searching for small, light mobile with camera, nothing came up! They all seem to be about 6 inches, and no doubt just as heavy as my existing Samsung.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Hopefully you can get the phone that you want here, would save the bother of a trip to Lefkosa, plus the unknown factor of the additional cost to be paid in custom duty, negating any saving (if any) of price paid in UK.

There are a few online stores that sell phones here where you can check prices, although do be aware that prices can change from day to day due to currency fluctuations.
I bought phone from Sharaf a while back and was really pleased with both the service and the phone.

A few other links for you to look at, there could be many more, as well as KKTcell and Telsim.

https://inncy.co/en/product-category/te ... s-tablets/

https://www.carsimax.com/cep-telefonu-361

https://www.teknogoldonline.com/cep-telefonlari-22103

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

sammydavis wrote:
Thu 28 Oct 2021 5:30 pm
Thanks for that but on searching for small, light mobile with camera, nothing came up! They all seem to be about 6 inches, and no doubt just as heavy as my existing Samsung.
Probably better to check on UK websites to find what you are looking for, find it, then do a search on websites here for specific model(s). New phones nowadays certainly seem to tend towards the larger side.

sammydavis
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Post by sammydavis »

Good thinking!

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Yes I agree replacing a phone with a similar size is all but impossible. I tend to wear cargo type trousers or shorts and use the lower pocket for the phone. I purchased a newer Motorola when I was last in the UK and it 'just' fits in the pocket but my wife bought a new one from here and it wouldn't fit in my largest pockets so what do you do with the thing? Putting it into the top pocket it falls out when you get in the car or sit anywhere and then you risk damage.

Only thing about the larger phone is I can get my fingers to hit most of the right buttons when typing!

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Chris, I wish I could change my keys into something a larger, I bought a new Redmi and worked on the theory that as the screen size was so much larger, then the keys would be larger and in proportion. Are they hell!!. They are only fractionally larger than the small Samsung and slightly larger Huawei. In my ignorance I thought that as I could increase the font size I could increase key size, but no such luck.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

I hate typing on a phone, and any messages that I have to send on it are extremely short, as in ok, yes or no. :lol: Have got WhatsApp and some others on laptop for ease of typing.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Yes you still get the tiny keyboard to type on whatever the size of the phone. I spend longer correcting the auto correct than I do typing the original message sometimes and as alphamike quite rightly said typing anything other than yes, no or ok is best avoided. It isn't an eyesight thing with me it is my fingers press the wrong button. How the youngsters do it with both thumbs at such a rapid speed is beyond me.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

alphamike wrote:
Fri 29 Oct 2021 9:51 am
I hate typing on a phone, and any messages that I have to send on it are extremely short, as in ok, yes or no. :lol: Have got WhatsApp and some others on laptop for ease of typing.
Use the microphone option in WhatsApp… mcuh eaiser thna typign…

;-)

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Trigger wrote:
Fri 29 Oct 2021 11:17 am

Use the microphone option in WhatsApp… mcuh eaiser thna typign…

;-)
Never even entered my head to do that Trigger! Then the thing would probably not recognise the Scottish accent. :lol:

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

benjaminbutton wrote:
Fri 29 Oct 2021 8:27 am
Chris, I wish I could change my keys into something a larger, I bought a new Redmi and worked on the theory that as the screen size was so much larger, then the keys would be larger and in proportion. Are they hell!!. They are only fractionally larger than the small Samsung and slightly larger Huawei. In my ignorance I thought that as I could increase the font size I could increase key size, but no such luck.
As long as you have 'screen rotation' enabled you should find that using the phone in Landscape mode (on its side) gives you a larger keyboard/keys.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Absolutely right, thanks for reminding me, but it had been in portrait for so long and phone didn't want to change immediately, but did eventually. Thanks.

Return to “MOBILE PHONES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”