The Taj, Indian Restaurant, Alsancak

Had a great meal in North Cyprus? Let other members know. Find out where the best restaurants are or what best to order when visiting.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Gatsby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

The Taj, Indian Restaurant, Alsancak

•   Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Gatsby »

Just noticed it has reopened, new owners I think. Anyone been there yet?

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: The Taj, Indian Restaurant, Alsancak

•   Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

We enjoyed it immensely in its previous incarnation, I'm glad it has re-opened and hope it is just as good.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Prefer The Punjab had a takeaway from the Taj and it was ok but when we eat in there all we could taste was black pepper

Heaven
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Heaven »

We have been there and the best Indian food for ages. Run by a lovely couple. I believe he was at the hotel over looking the harbor, the Indian restaurant was above. Then we had a take away another night and was superb. Everything freshly cooked and the onion bhaji's are just as good as ever. Thoroughly recommend

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

I disagree with post No 3. The previous people in the Taj were actually South Indian and not Pakistani like all the other restaurants. We always found the curries there much more authentic, and nearer to what one could expect to be served in the UK. Almost all the Indian restaurants in the UK have Bengali (Bangladeshi) chefs who have a distinct way of cooking, which we like the best.

We look forward to trying the Taj under its new ownership.

Becker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Becker »

We always rated The Taj,were some of the first customers. Totally different taste to others. Originally there were joint owners,Jaswinder Singh & Tony Hall (yes he is Indian). Tony leased White Pearl in harbor,was also excellent food. Will be visiting shortly.

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

I recommended some friends there last year , only going on what I had read on this forum. They threatened never to speak to me agin they said it was awful. That was around Sept. 2017.

Heaven
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Heaven »

Jonny Lee, if you read the posts above yours, you will see it is new people there and new chef. You should give it a go. September 2017 was a long time ago.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

frontalman wrote:I disagree with post No 3. The previous people in the Taj were actually South Indian and not Pakistani like all the other restaurants. We always found the curries there much more authentic, and nearer to what one could expect to be served in the UK. Almost all the Indian restaurants in the UK have Bengali (Bangladeshi) chefs who have a distinct way of cooking, which we like the best.

Food especially curries is all a taste thing I guess but we ordered three different dishes as we like different flavours and found them all to be the same peppery flavour.
I've eaten a lot of curry but not having been to India I couldn't say with certainty what is and isn't authentic but have found the Punjab a bit nearer to what I'm used to. It's not the best Indian I've ever eaten by a long shot but it is the best I've eaten in North Cyprus.

shanonjackson
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Post by shanonjackson »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
frontalman wrote:I disagree with post No 3. The previous people in the Taj were actually South Indian and not Pakistani like all the other restaurants. We always found the curries there much more authentic, and nearer to what one could expect the 10machines review of instapot to be served in the UK. Almost all the Indian restaurants in the UK have Bengali (Bangladeshi) chefs who have a distinct way of cooking, which we like the best.

Food especially curries is all a taste thing I guess but we ordered three different dishes as we like different flavours and found them all to be the same peppery flavour.
I've eaten a lot of curry but not having been to India I couldn't say with certainty what is and isn't authentic but have found the Punjab a bit nearer to what I'm used to. It's not the best Indian I've ever eaten by a long shot but it is the best I've eaten in North Cyprus.
South Asian people have more or less the same taste. I have been to Pakistani and Bangladeshi restaurants and the taste is awesome there. I would prefer Bangladeshi and Paksitani Chefs over the Indians. Wish best of luck the new owners of Taj.

Becker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Becker »

Four of us went to The Taj this evening. Starters & mains were excellent. Only 7 people at that time,would have been nice if there were a few more. Certainly one of,if not the best authentic Indian food this side of the island! Certainly as good or better than a good many we have visited in London ,Birmingham & Midlands.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

Agree with Becker, we have tried the new Taj and will be going again. Good service and good food.

Bloss
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Bloss »

Four of us went to The Taj last night What a fabulous meal Service was excellent and nothing was too much trouble The new owners are very keen to ensure everything is perfect Seems they are putting live entertainment on shortly Will definitely be going back

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Can someone tell me where in Alsancak the Taj is please? I need to give it a go.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

Mare Monte road, about 50 metres down. You can't miss it, Soner.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Thanks!
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

Return to “RESTAURANTS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”