Royal China

Had a great meal in North Cyprus? Let other members know. Find out where the best restaurants are or what best to order when visiting.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Hoghton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Royal China

•   Message 1 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Hoghton »

Has anybody tried The Royal China?

lee666
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Royal China

•   Message 2 of 27 in Discussion

Post by lee666 »

Went past it again this morning, believe they are just finishing off the renovations so should be open very soon.

Anyway in answer to your question, it's not open yet
"The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones."

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Elucidate please!

Mr Mac
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Mr Mac »

Royal China is where Panta restaurant used to be, opposite Supreme East side.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Mr Mac wrote:Royal China is where Panta restaurant used to be, opposite Supreme East side.
Thank you Mr Mac!

Hoghton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Hoghton »

thanks here for another week and a half so might be able to try. didnt like Panta but noticed they have opened up further on towards Girne.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 27 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Panta which side where please

Mr Mac
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Mr Mac »

Not sure whether Panta takeaway is open yet but on the left going into Girne underneath Fitness Factory.....

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 27 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Cheers G Bob

DieHard
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 27 in Discussion

Post by DieHard »

Neither open yesterday.

Glaws16
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Glaws16 »

Did anyone go to the opening night last night?

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Kept it very quiet didnt know it was open yet.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 27 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

My neighbours went Friday , Set menu cost 160 TL per person, Plus wine total was, they said about 420 TL, no cards only cash , waiters did not know about menu options, some items they could not order, because the did not have the ingredients. So Ho Hum watch this space. I guess opening night blues, it can only get better....

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

tutor4u wrote:My neighbours went Friday , Set menu cost 160 TL per person, Plus wine total was, they said about 420 TL, no cards only cash , waiters did not know about menu options, some items they could not order, because the did not have the ingredients. So Ho Hum watch this space. I guess opening night blues, it can only get better....
Given that ringing endorsement.... 6 months? 10/1

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 27 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

That"s generous, 6 months mmmm

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 27 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

Set menu in Bollywoods 67TL, bit of a difference. That's for a starter or soup, four main courses including prawns, if you want them, plus rice and noodles. We had it last Thursday and it was luvverly.

DieHard
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 27 in Discussion

Post by DieHard »

Went past Panta this evening and there were tables outside with cloths on, so presume they are now open.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 27 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

As is normal for me I will only go and sit down in a new place to eat if I can first try a take away from that place. I do that for every curry house and Chinese place first - always! Last night I went to the Royal China to get a take away, they do not have any take away menus for you to take away as yet but hope to have them by the end of next week! However the main menu is currently also the take away menu so, first order of the day was a beer because the menu is extensive! 15 minutes later I was still undecided as to what to order, there is so much choice and so many things that I like that I was at a loss. Answer, second beer!

I am not a great lover of Thai food instead preferring the tastes of Chinese/Malay cuisine but there appears to be a great choice in Thai food as well so nobody should feel left out. It was also nice to see that they have a selection of set meals, one of which was pure vegetarian! All dishes give an indication of what is in them for those with allergies and the last page in the menu is a complete "warning" page about allergies so nobody should be in any doubt when ordering dish's!

By now I had given up the battle between wallet, taste buds, memories (I spent my early years in Borneo and Singapore and my tongue still yearns for the tastes of street market food) and hunger. I applied what I thought would be a sensible solution and opted for Set Meal Number 1 - the cost of this is 147TL but you need to be a couple because it is for a minimum of two people and the price is per person! I also added a Singapore Noodle dish, because I love it and because I could! As I/We only go out about twice a month the overall cost was not prohibitive and in any case this was the trial and worth the cost.

Two take away bags duly arrived and I was on my way back home again having made the first mistake of the evening. "How much food" was the cry from the boss when I got home! We started with the Sweet corn & Chicken soup - first class! I made a mess of mine because I expected the normal thick gluey mess that is normally served up and always add a touch of 5 spice, a drop or five of sesame oil and a splash of soya - second mistake - this soup needs nothing else but a spoon!!! The prawn crackers that also come with it are both plain and spicy - very nicey!! Then we started on those magic horses doufars! Spring rolls, prawn toast, fried seaweed and a couple of good spoonfuls of Singapore Noodles - wonderful tastes and took me back years, ate the lot - that was the third mistake! Now lets have a plate full of mixed main courses to see what the real tastes are like.

Tempura prawns, beef in oyster, chicken with cashews and sweet and sour pork. Along with that of course there is the fresh vegetables and the special fried rice - not to mention more of the Singapore noodles! Now that was a fourth and the major mistake of the evening. We ate as much as we could, then we ate some more, then soundly beaten we gave up. Every dish was first class, full of taste, well prepared and worth every Lira spent on it. My fault was the sad state of the prawns - once cold these are not good but I will bet anything that fresh and hot on the plate they would be fantastic!

So now to a recommendation: Go there! Go hungry! Don't order too much to start with! Eat slow and enjoy. I can not explain how good I think it is - go try it for yourselves. Not cheap but very little is these days. Total cost was 381TL and two of us could not eat it all, at least a third was left and we were well stuffed! Happy Days!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 27 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

Thanks David, now that's what I call a review. We will save up and try it too.

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 27 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Excellent review but wow so expensive!
7 of us went to Chinese House last night & had a feast - dimsum, duck, 7 main courses, vegetables, rice, noodles, deserts, coffees, 3 bottles wine, 1 beer & some soft drinks worked out 175 tl each including a tip.

silverfox1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 27 in Discussion

Post by silverfox1 »

I am sure Adnan will appreciate your post Ozankoys and perhaps you might care to stick to the subject in hand as opposed to advertising other premises.

I doubt you would appreciate the same thing said about your business (if you have one).

Have you ever actually tried Royal China it since it has been open in the last 2 weeks?

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 27 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Sorry I did not realise this was a post advertising Royal China my mistake

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 27 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Having re-read my post I have missed out the two sticks of chicken satay that also came with the starters!

For those that think this was all expensive can I please point out that had I not had two beers and an extra order of Singapore Noodles then the total price of two set meals (Number 1) would only have been 294TL (£49.00 at todays exchange) or if you prefer it was £25.00 per head. Giving each person a choice of four main dish's to share - if you can eat them all well done indeed!

In the end it was all about the quality and the taste which I found exceeded any other I have had in Cyprus - and I include the Imperial Chinese in Nicosia in that statement. I can not comment on the surroundings as I only sat at the outside bar but all staff were attentive and helpful.

I will go again to sit and eat for sure but for now it is my first choice for Chinese food, that notwithstanding my love of Chinese House which I have always found to be good.

I would ask for a review from another customer of Royal China please - it is all about food in the first instance. Oh, joy of joy - there was not one cat begging anywhere!!!

teatime
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 27 in Discussion

Post by teatime »

quote: Oh, joy of joy - there was not one cat begging anywhere!!!

Are you sure it was "Chicken" satay you had?

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 27 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Positive, you can always tell by the color of the fur!

ljarvo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 27 in Discussion

Post by ljarvo »

I don't disagree with Ozankoys post at all.

It complimented the discussion and yes the Royal China does sound expensive and its good to understand the comparison from another restaurant.

Bullsnil
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Bullsnil »

Went there the other night and boy what a feast. Yes it is more expensive than other restaurants but it was well worth it. Used to enjoy China House and still do but to have a decent Chinese restaurant on the east of Girne is a bonus. Will definetly be going again.

Return to “RESTAURANTS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”