ILELI

Had a great meal in North Cyprus? Let other members know. Find out where the best restaurants are or what best to order when visiting.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

sammydavis
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

ILELI

•   Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Post by sammydavis »

Nobody has mentioned the new, or old, Ileli supermarket. Does anyone know when the new one will be open and also why the new sign on the old one - looks like they will have two outlets, not sure if that will pay them. Also be wary, heard from friend recently that boxes of cereals had 'things' in them - they were taken back of course by the shop and new ones given but sounded like old, contaminated stock. Just hope they threw all that stock out so check immediately after buying.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: ILELI

•   Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

The presence of 'things' in cereals, rice, and dry products in general is certainly not limited to ileli - it is a consequence of living in a hot Country - I've experienced it with products bought from other supermarkets, and also stuff purchased in the South.

Most natural products such as flour and grains have eggs in them from 'new', and these may 'come to life' at some point.

I do always make a point of checking for the most recent 'sell by' date when shopping though...

sammydavis
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Post by sammydavis »

I did not mean to criticise that supermarket only, re bugs in cereals just warning folks to be careful - but difficult to tell what is in there until the cardboard and inner wrappers are undone. It just so happened that our friends had experienced this at that place. I like the supermarket and often shop there but yes, do watch the dates on packets etc. I did not get info re when the new shop is opening, if known, and assume the old one is remaining, re new sign there??

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

Lot's of protein in insects apparently. In 20 years time it will be our staple diet.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

frontalman wrote:Lot's of protein in insects apparently. In 20 years time it will be our staple diet.
I'd rather eat staples! ....Vegans will be spitting blood.

Bonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Bonnie »

Some years ago on returning from the Uk I found most of my kitchen cupboards infested with weevils, even those that did not contain food.
With the advice & support from alphamike ,a member of this forum I managed to get free of them but it took many weeks of constant emptying of contents cleaning & spraying.
I now keep pots of cloves in all cupboards where there is any type of food unopened jars, even the vinegar bottle was crawling with them.
Now any dry food I buy goes straight into the freezer for 4 days Flour ,pasta cereal etc. Then moved on to the fridge

As Keith points out much of the dry food already have the eggs in it and it doesn't take long in this temp for them to hatch. into bugs

Becker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Becker »

We recently bought flour from Tesco that was infested with weevils. Couldn't get much sense from them. Just said all foods were packed in a spotless environment & really couldn't do much about it. Frequent occurrence when we lived TRNC.

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

"Now any dry food I buy goes straight into the freezer for 4 days"
That's the easiest way to get rid of any unwanted guests
Had to do that a few times.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

Groucho wrote:
frontalman wrote:Lot's of protein in insects apparently. In 20 years time it will be our staple diet.
I'd rather eat staples! ....Vegans will be spitting blood.
I've had the packets of dried crickets sold in UK supermarkets, tasted just like crisps to me. If it's good enough for Masai warriors it's good enough for me.

Return to “RESTAURANTS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”