Tianshen Chinese restaurant, Alsancak

Had a great meal in North Cyprus? Let other members know. Find out where the best restaurants are or what best to order when visiting.

Moderators: PoshinDevon, Soner, Dragon

Post Reply
TB10pilot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 365
Joined: Tue 11 Mar 2014 3:37 pm

Tianshen Chinese restaurant, Alsancak

  • Quote
  •   Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Post by TB10pilot »

We went to this restaurant on Saturday and had a very poor experience. We were the only diners. Was it a one off bad night or have others been too? Do we give it a second chance? Every restaurant can have an 'off' night.

User avatar
Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 3137
Joined: Mon 09 Apr 2012 2:43 pm

Re: Tianshen Chinese restaurant, Alsancak

  • Quote
  •   Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

TB10pilot wrote:We went to this restaurant on Saturday and had a very poor experience. We were the only diners. Was it a one off bad night or have others been too? Do we give it a second chance? Every restaurant can have an 'off' night.
Service and food should never be 'off', only one chance to make a first impression.

Did you raise the problem with staff?

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 3055
Joined: Fri 16 Mar 2018 4:46 pm

Re: Tianshen Chinese restaurant, Alsancak

  • Quote
  •   Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

How was the food? As a rule of thumb in London's Chinatown, the ruder the service the better the food

User avatar
Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 3137
Joined: Mon 09 Apr 2012 2:43 pm

Re: Tianshen Chinese restaurant, Alsancak

  • Quote
  •   Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:How was the food? As a rule of thumb in London's Chinatown, the ruder the service the better the food
Ha ha... we've been there. My pal insisted on giving them large tip... we were flabbergasted. The food was good but no better than we were used to. If I wanted rude service I could get that at home... H:))

TB10pilot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 365
Joined: Tue 11 Mar 2014 3:37 pm

Re: Tianshen Chinese restaurant, Alsancak

  • Quote
  •   Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Post by TB10pilot »

Yes, we did raise our issues, several times until it all became a bit of a farce!
Warm white wine, red wine served on ice, rice arrived on cold plates and the when we asked where the mains were? the waiter replied 'coming in 5 minutes'! We asked them to take it back and serve altogether on hot plates. Food was fair but not China Town quality! The service was dreadful. Two other diners who went with us actually said at the end of the meal to the waiter, 'That was the worse meal we have ever eaten in Northern Cyprus in 20 years'. No offer of a coffee/brandy or a deduction on the account followed.

User avatar
Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 3137
Joined: Mon 09 Apr 2012 2:43 pm

Re: Tianshen Chinese restaurant, Alsancak

  • Quote
  •   Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

TB10pilot wrote:Yes, we did raise our issues, several times until it all became a bit of a farce!
Warm white wine, red wine served on ice, rice arrived on cold plates and the when we asked where the mains were? the waiter replied 'coming in 5 minutes'! We asked them to take it back and serve altogether on hot plates. Food was fair but not China Town quality! The service was dreadful. Two other diners who went with us actually said at the end of the meal to the waiter, 'That was the worse meal we have ever eaten in Northern Cyprus in 20 years'. No offer of a coffee/brandy or a deduction on the account followed.
At least your friend didn't say "the chicken was rubbery!" to which the Chinese waiter replied "fan you velly mush" b:)

TB10pilot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 365
Joined: Tue 11 Mar 2014 3:37 pm

Re: Tianshen Chinese restaurant, Alsancak

  • Quote
  •   Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Post by TB10pilot »

ha ha ha !

User avatar
Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 7540
Joined: Sat 21 Apr 2012 6:00 pm

Re: Tianshen Chinese restaurant, Alsancak

  • Quote
  •   Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Attracting the waiter's attention was a challenge in itself - in the end, I shouted "HEY YOU!"

The waiter came across and said "How you know my name?"

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 3055
Joined: Fri 16 Mar 2018 4:46 pm

Re: Tianshen Chinese restaurant, Alsancak

  • Quote
  •   Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

The more I hear of how bad the service is the more I'm surprised that the food isn't great.
Usually when we go to a Chinese restaurant in Chinatown and we are rudely pointed to a table and had a menu thrown at us me and Head Office look at each other and say this is going to be great food.
It's similar to seeing a ginger contestant on Ninja Warrior UK. As soon as you see the red hair you know he's going to be good.
I do have a theory on that but that's another off topic.

User avatar
Wines Of The World
Kibkommer
Kibkommer
Posts: 448
Joined: Fri 05 Oct 2012 6:12 am

Re: Tianshen Chinese restaurant, Alsancak

  • Quote
  •   Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Wines Of The World »

This restaurant is not catering for westerners unless you understand North China Food which is where they come from and the chefs. His market is or was the influx of Chinese gamblers being brought to the merit by the restaurant owner or his friend and these gamblers are coming there to eat.

Ive eaten there 3 or 4 times and knowing what I like and want to order enjoyed each time, these people are from Tianjin, Hebei, Shanxi and Inner Mongolia, the food of the Chinese Muslims is quite different to what you are used to and if you understand the food then it is very good indeed.

Ive seen a few ex-pats puffing and panting in there looking at each other and shrugging their shoulders looking at the menu, to my amusement!
Making Life Richer For The Pourer 🍷🍸🍷🥂🍻🍺🍹🍸🥃🍾🍾🍾🍾

Post Reply

Return to “RESTAURANTS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”