Local Restaurants need support - Erols and others

Had a great meal in North Cyprus? Let other members know. Find out where the best restaurants are or what best to order when visiting.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Local Restaurants need support - Erols and others

•   Message 1 of 28 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Went to Erols restaurant last night in Ozankoy. Have loved this restaurant for many, many years, and it was so sad to see that myself and hubby were the only ones in there, apart from a young couple that came in later. Never the less, we were treated as always, with the best service, and excellent food. We have always been so used to seeing Erols full during this time of year. Of course things are very different now as there are no tourists and no swallows. So many of our good restaurants will fail if we do not support them. So I would just like to say, those of us that can, please support your local establishments, or you will lose them. Plus, we need people to to to Erols on Wednesdays, so we can have the best Kleftico on the Island..... yes, purely selfish of me I know. They did, a few weeks ago, just open on Fridays and Saturdays, but now are back to normal hours, every evening apart from Sundays. But, how long that can last if they have no customers, who knows.

Panchocat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Local Restaurants need support - Erols and others

•   Message 2 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Panchocat »

I didn't know they were back to being fully open. Did they publicise that anywhere? I missed it if they did.
Rafters had about 40 in last night and Royal China looked busy as we drove past.
Both of these restaurants do advertise so perhaps Erols need to as well.....

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 28 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Hi Panchocat, they did put it on Facebook, but yes, maybe they need to advertise better. I will suggest that to them, but hopefully some people on this forum will now know.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 4 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Point them in the direction of Kibkom. Packages are very reasonable. :+1:)
they can email me: [email protected]
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 28 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Thank you Soner I will do.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

We went a few weeks ago on a Saturday night and it was very busy. Food as excellent and plentiful as ever. Always a friendly welcome from all there.

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 28 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

The lack of swallows and tourists is certainly having an impact and not all of us that are still here can go out to eat as regularly as we used to which is a shame. Some restaurants are great at advertising some need lessons!

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 28 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

Been here since 2004 and never tried Erols. It's a long way from Karsiyaka but I must put it on my bucket list.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 28 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Frontalman, give Erols a try instead of your trip to the pie, mash and liquor establishment, it's in the same village and only two minutes further down the road!!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 10 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

mrsgee wrote:
Thu 09 Jul 2020 5:32 pm
Thank you Soner I will do.
:+1:)
Mentioning Kibkom when dining out at restaurants may help increase sponsors. Thank you.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 28 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

waddo wrote:
Fri 10 Jul 2020 6:40 am
Frontalman, give Erols a try instead of your trip to the pie, mash and liquor establishment, it's in the same village and only two minutes further down the road!!
I know where it is. I often drive past it to get to a friend's house. Last time I went past it looked quite dilapidated (that means old and neglected) and I wrongly assumed it had closed for good. We do travel for lunch but not so much in the evening, since the head-on with the Turkish soldier. We will give it a bash as we both love our steak. Anyway, stop knocking the pie and mash, you wouldn't understand if you come from anywhere North of Milton Keynes.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 28 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Milton Keynes? Is that a real place, you just made that up did’nt you? Must be somewhere South of that London place where the Cypriots think everyone from UK comes from I guess - lol. Anyway, nothing wrong with pie and mash but for a real meal you need hot pork pies, pease pudding and gravy, proper food!

Erol’s fillet steak is the best I have had out here although Kibbet came a close second, worth a try matey, my buddy from UK badgers me to take him there every time he visits and reasons the prawn cocktail is the best he has had. Nice place, nice people, nice breeze from the roof and the beer is always cold. What more can you ask for unless you want your hearing damaged by loud music that is then stay away because that don’t happen!

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 28 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

waddo wrote:
Fri 10 Jul 2020 2:24 pm
Milton Keynes? Is that a real place, you just made that up did’nt you? Must be somewhere South of that London place where the Cypriots think everyone from UK comes from I guess - lol. Anyway, nothing wrong with pie and mash but for a real meal you need hot pork pies, pease pudding and gravy, proper food!

Erol’s fillet steak is the best I have had out here although Kibbet came a close second, worth a try matey, my buddy from UK badgers me to take him there every time he visits and reasons the prawn cocktail is the best he has had. Nice place, nice people, nice breeze from the roof and the beer is always cold. What more can you ask for unless you want your hearing damaged by loud music that is then stay away because that don’t happen!
Absolutely right waddo, best steaks I have ever had, and hubby will not get lamb chops from anywhere else.... they are cooked to perfection at Erols... pink, not burnt to a frazzle. I think we are now starting a petition to get the Kleftico nights back on the FB expats uncut version.... lol

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 28 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

Well, I was so impressed by the recommendations and Waddo's dignified response to my attempt at dry humour, that we went to said Erols Resaurant last night. I had the fillet steak which was indeed excellent and Sally had the mixed kebab. We also had the meze to start which was also very nice. All in all, it was a very enjoyable experience. We chatted with Caroline about mutual old friends who used to frequent the establishment but sadly are no longer here in Cyprus. To clarify, I always thought the restaurant was the older building next door, which had me confused. Anyway the bill was a bit higher than for pie and mash, so I had to tell Sally that the meal was her Christmas present and birthday present combined - she smiled at me in that way which women do, so I suppose she was alright with that.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 28 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

frontalman wrote:
Sat 11 Jul 2020 5:56 am
Well, I was so impressed by the recommendations and Waddo's dignified response to my attempt at dry humour, that we went to said Erols Resaurant last night. I had the fillet steak which was indeed excellent and Sally had the mixed kebab. We also had the meze to start which was also very nice. All in all, it was a very enjoyable experience. We chatted with Caroline about mutual old friends who used to frequent the establishment but sadly are no longer here in Cyprus. To clarify, I always thought the restaurant was the older building next door, which had me confused. Anyway the bill was a bit higher than for pie and mash, so I had to tell Sally that the meal was her Christmas present and birthday present combined - she smiled at me in that way which women do, so I suppose she was alright with that.
Glad you got there Frontalman and Sally, and that you enjoyed your meal. I love the building, so traditional, and the views are fab too.

Karakum
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Karakum »

I’m in girne and see the George has closed and apparently Murphys will close too. Thankfully Windows Cafe & Bar which is on the same street is still open. I always find them friendly and they serve great food . Maybe we can support them as they are still open

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 28 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Forgot to mention the price - probably because I rent and therefore have to gain my visa as a High Income person - but I honestly have nothing to judge it against anyway. We do not get out much more than once a month and when we do it is because we want to enjoy known surroundings and past quality so the cost is not a factor really.

I suppose we are missing things by not trying "Everywhere" but in a lifetime filled with disappointments in quality and service we tend to stick with the things we know - not averse to trying new places but they have to meet the requirements in one go or we go back to where we know. Strangely we seem to prefer smaller, local establishments but always up to try a new curry house anytime - lol.

Glad you enjoyed it and that it brought back some memories for you - our turn next......

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 28 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

I think what some people are not aware of with Erols is, you don't really need to order a starter or meze unless you are extra hungry. A selection of mezes are included in the price, plus crudites, cheese and tomato in pitta, toasted bread and a lovely bowl of salad...... you can have chips or rice, or both with the main meal, then after your main meal complimentary fruit, coffee and brandy..... so not that expensive at all. But good quality food, and much better value overall than many, if you take into account the whole package.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 28 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Mrsgee, come on now, get real!!!! Do you really think that I can NOT have a prawn cocktail before my fillet steak - LOL?
Even knowing in my heart that I will not be able to eat it all and will have to take some of it home AND that I could have spent less and had less!!!

One of my brother in laws always used to say "Whats the good of a birthday if you can't be sick", maybe I caught the idea off him or maybe it's because we never had much when we were kids BUT if, when we go out, I order to much then it's my own fault and I never moan at the cost.

For us Erols is a special place to go and enjoy and I recommend it to anyone.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 28 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Ah ha Waddo, well as I am not a big eater, very often I enjoy a delicious prawn cocktail for my main, after enjoying the lovely complimentary mezes and salads of course. Hubby always has the lamb chops, but, we are just waiting now for enough people to book to we can have kleftico nights again, best in the island.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I am always pleased to see which of Erol's classic British cars are out in his car port.

We never order a starter but then as I usually have the T bone steak I like to save myself for that.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Called in last night for a meal. As ever all the staff were very happy, friendly and helpful. Meal was up to the normal standard which is excellent and that included the apple crumble and custard!

How they all manage to work let alone smile in the heat baffles me but they all do.

One other thing to comment on and ok maybe not in the same sentence as the food but the toilets are very clean which is something that many other establishments should take note of. Never something to be underestimated when visiting a restaurant or bar.

Well done to Erol, Caroline and all the staff.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 28 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

We were there on Wednesday evening for Erols famous Kleftico. A good turnout of customers and the Kleftico was perfect, as always.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 24 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Charcos in Lapta last night was up to its usual standard.

Use it or lose it!

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Only wish we could visit Erol's for a meal. Sadly, as a lesser spotted swallow, now most unlikely this year after hoping to be out in September.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 28 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

Hector wrote:
Sat 01 Aug 2020 2:23 pm
Only wish we could visit Erol's for a meal. Sadly, as a lesser spotted swallow, now most unlikely this year after hoping to be out in September.
Hi Joe, friends of ours who were swallows came out in late February. They were asked if 30 days was enough or did they need more. They only intended staying for three weeks so said 30 days was enough. Because of the covid-19 situation they ended up staying until about 10 days ago when they were able to get a flight back. I read all your posts but feel you may be over pessimistic. As you own a property I'm sure you would be given 90 days if you asked for it.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Hi Joe, friends of ours who were swallows came out in late February. They were asked if 30 days was enough or did they need more. They only intended staying for three weeks so said 30 days was enough. Because of the covid-19 situation they ended up staying until about 10 days ago when they were able to get a flight back. I read all your posts but feel you may be over pessimistic. As you own a property I'm sure you would be given 90 days if you asked for it.
Thank you for your post frontalman. A lot has changed since February with regards residency and visas unfortunately. We will now only book to come out for a max of 30 days at a time because we can't take the risk of turning up hoping to get more than 30 days. We don't want to spend our precious time of then having to go and ask for an extension nor will we apply for residency even though we used to spend a total of around 7 months a year in NC.

We wont be coming out again until after the virus entry restrictions are fully lifted and we can cross the border from the south.

ljarvo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 28 in Discussion

Post by ljarvo »

Hector,

I think it’s most likely the Greek Cypriots will make it difficult for us to cross and will drag it out till the end of the year - then we brexit - I think some of us that live here are starting to resign ourselves that going across to the South won’t be an option .....

Return to “RESTAURANTS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”