Azra Claire's in girne town.

Had a great meal in North Cyprus? Let other members know. Find out where the best restaurants are or what best to order when visiting.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Striker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Azra Claire's in girne town.

•   Message 1 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Striker »

Just been 7 persons ... 4 and 3 for regulation purposes. Really good food as always. Been frequenting in numbers since he opened.
No complaints regarding the food... the drinks prices are something else.
3 Smirnoff and tonic in the typically slim Jim glasses.... 96tl.
Yes. . We did point it out.
Yes we did complain as being regulars you may not want to take the mickey.
Yes. The owner didn't care a flying f k.
It wasn't even myself but a senior member of our party who was upset
.in case you don't know it's a good quality food establishment origins from bellapais.... with bellapais prices. We supported you from the start . The last is today

Striker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Zara Claire's in girne town.

•   Message 2 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Striker »

Azra Claire's.
Tin pan alley.

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

I pointed out to the owner a few weeks ago that it was strange that a 'Chinese' restaurant didn't have any pork dishes and I recommended Ozankoy Best Butchers to source good pork as he said impossible to get any pig meat worth buying in the North!? However, good food and well priced though maybe suffering from being too successful, too quickly with too many excellent internet reviews leading to complacency as is the want of many, now demised TRNC restaurants!

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 37 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

I don’t actually think that the price for imported vodka is too bad. Love Azra Claire’s and always find the prices good, but if you want imported expect to pay. A friend of ours went to a restaurant by the castle last week, a bottle of Eves was 25 Lira, ..... so I don’t think 32 Lira for an imported vodka and tonic is so bad. Azra Claire’s is an excellent restaurant and Ali is always the best of hosts.

Striker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Striker »

I posted that the food was good.
Typically you changed the complaint ... 32tl for a vodka.. come on.. the better restaurants with a sea view are,much less and do not have a view off a coffee house and car park.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 37 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

Drink the local stuff, unless they have something cheaper. My wife always drinks the local vodka, and she's OK!

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

do you have to use such horrible language striker? If youve been going there for over 2 years you must have got used the the "no view" as its a city back street and I would have thought you would have got the name right by now. I cannot imagine Ali not being polite and ignoring the complaint.

Striker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Striker »

Predictive text got me again which I spotted and changed within. Minutes,. .what horrible language is that then.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 37 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Deniz1 wrote:
Sun 11 Oct 2020 11:50 am
do you have to use such horrible language striker? If youve been going there for over 2 years you must have got used the the "no view" as its a city back street and I would have thought you would have got the name right by now. I cannot imagine Ali not being polite and ignoring the complaint.
Have to say, I also cannot imagine for one minute Ali not being polite. We met him almost 12 years ago in a tantuni, we had arrived the same day as he did. He was, and always has been the most courteous and helpful. And I still think the equivalent of three quid-ish is reasonable for imported vodka these days. I think people need to get into the real world, the Lira is taking a pounding and so of course prices will have to increase, but if you are changing sterling you are quids in. Stop moaning OP.

Striker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Striker »

I also cannot imagine him being less than polite.... however I was there . He said the price was high due to the tonic. (This is now my words )Whatever the prices are . That's what they are and if you don't like it .. don't buy it... the problem was by the time you put 1 lump of ice in the designated glass there was not much room for much else.

Azra Claire’s
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Azra Claire’s »

Firt of all hello to everyone And by the way we are not Zara Claire we are Azra Claire wich name come from our Dauther we got this family running business for over 2 years And we are doing our best that we can to make our customer satisfied and happy with our food and service this is the first time we encounter a complain I am always very attentive for the complein is just that we are very busy that time they are already very ungry so I decided to wait a bit until they become calm before I approach them but they just go and live with there anger after they live I seat with there friend and even put an 100 tl to anveloped.This time of pandemic our lira was very dawn euro and paund become very high wich impossible for most businesses to survive but Thanks to you all for your support

Azra Claire’s
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Azra Claire’s »

I send her 100 lira and said mabe she don’t check our price list so she know it for next time any way our view also is there for 2 years if she was not happy why to come ?

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 37 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Ali, you have done more than enough and I am sure everyone who knows you and your establishment will continue to support you. I really don’t understand the original complaint, but as we Brits say ‘there is always one! ‘, it seems that now the complaint has changed into the size of the glass not being able to accommodate an ice cube plus the drink. Some people just like to complain! The fact is, as you say, you refunded 100tl, so why has the original poster not told us that? To be honest, you can do without that type of person, who appears to have gone very quiet. We will be down to see you very soon, enjoy your food, hospitality and yes, your drinks, without complaint. Regards Sue

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 37 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

I must admit I have found this thread quite upsetting as all reviews of Azra Claire up until now have been full of praise for Ali and his staff. I have enjoyed this restaurant in the past and would eat there more often if it wasn't for the 18 kilometers of travel required. It seems Ali has tried to rectify the situation in this case and I'm sure he wouldn't jeopardize his business over one incident. My wife always orders local spirits because of the price hike for imported stuff. I don't drink alcohol at all so have no opinion myself. I will judge Ali on the multitude of good experiences had by most previous posters, if he did lose his cool because of the present difficult circumstances we are all going through, then I suggest you forgive him and move on. Ali wasn't the one drinking the vodka.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 37 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

frontalman wrote:
Tue 13 Oct 2020 12:55 pm
I must admit I have found this thread quite upsetting as all reviews of Azra Claire up until now have been full of praise for Ali and his staff. I have enjoyed this restaurant in the past and would eat there more often if it wasn't for the 18 kilometers of travel required. It seems Ali has tried to rectify the situation in this case and I'm sure he wouldn't jeopardize his business over one incident. My wife always orders local spirits because of the price hike for imported stuff. I don't drink alcohol at all so have no opinion myself. I will judge Ali on the multitude of good experiences had by most previous posters, if he did lose his cool because of the present difficult circumstances we are all going through, then I suggest you forgive him and move on. Ali wasn't the one drinking the vodka.
Well said frontalman. Ali has done more than enough to appease. Maybe the OP would like to now comment about the refund of 100tl?

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

We have used Azra Claire's for some time now and never ever found Ali to be anything other than professional, courteous and exceptionally helpful.

Sadly I have also been a witness to the way 'some' Ex Pats complain and it usually leaves a lot to be desired. I am not saying this was the case on this occasion because of course I was not there but far too often people go off on one instead of calmly explaining what the issue is. There are many establishments here that cater for the poor ex pat and will sell you an Efes for 8tl should you wish and I am sure other prices may well be cheaper than a restaurant. Choice is always yours to make.

As far as complaining about the view across the road well if you have been a regular since they opened then that view would not be a surprise. Anyone who has visited before would not moan about the view if they returned and in any event I find it quite nice to see local people enjoying their night out across the road and it adds to the atmosphere.

I think this is a mountain made out of a mole hill and quite frankly why the op feels the need to come on here and vent his spleen rather than just vote with his wallet/feet and never return beats me. What he hopes to achieve by this post baffles me unless it is to cause Ali to lose money by deterring other customers. I am sure there are new laws against that sort of thing.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 37 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Chriswright03 wrote:
Tue 13 Oct 2020 6:43 pm
We have used Azra Claire's for some time now and never ever found Ali to be anything other than professional, courteous and exceptionally helpful.

Sadly I have also been a witness to the way 'some' Ex Pats complain and it usually leaves a lot to be desired. I am not saying this was the case on this occasion because of course I was not there but far too often people go off on one instead of calmly explaining what the issue is. There are many establishments here that cater for the poor ex pat and will sell you an Efes for 8tl should you wish and I am sure other prices may well be cheaper than a restaurant. Choice is always yours to make.

As far as complaining about the view across the road well if you have been a regular since they opened then that view would not be a surprise. Anyone who has visited before would not moan about the view if they returned and in any event I find it quite nice to see local people enjoying their night out across the road and it adds to the atmosphere.

I think this is a mountain made out of a mole hill and quite frankly why the op feels the need to come on here and vent his spleen rather than just vote with his wallet/feet and never return beats me. What he hopes to achieve by this post baffles me unless it is to cause Ali to lose money by deterring other customers. I am sure there are new laws against that sort of thing.
I find very interesting, in fact fascinating, that the original OP, AKA moaner, appears to have disappeared... not bothered to tell anyone about the fact Ali gave back 100 tl.... which he can ill afford and was unnecessary. We are going down Thursday for a lovely meal, and will take a bottle of imported smirnoff to make up for his loss. His loss is not the original poster by the way.

The indicator
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 37 in Discussion

Post by The indicator »

We have chosen to have a home in NC amongst other things because the country cater for Muslims like ourselves
How refreshing for us to visit Chinese restaurant and be able to choose anything from the menu. We have always found Ali polite, friendly and courteous even during these tough times.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 19 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Next restaurant on my list to try out. Looking forward to it.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 37 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Soner wrote:
Wed 14 Oct 2020 9:32 am
Next restaurant on my list to try out. Looking forward to it.
I am sure you will not be disappointed Soner, the place is spotless, and Ali and his wife are excellent hosts.

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Azra Claire restaurant in Girne

•   Message 21 of 37 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

I do not know Striker.

I do enjoy the Azra Claire dining experience and l like Ali.

I think Striker has been given a hard time in the responses to their OP.

Striker praised the food at Azra Claire restaurant.

All Striker did was to raise an issue with the high price charged by this establishment for some drinks. To support their case in response to hostile replies Striker mentioned Azra Claire location/outlook is downtown Girne, not scenic, as say, for example, Bellapais Gardens restaurant, though the drinks’ prices at Azra Claire are on a par with those charged at Bellapais Gardens, or so l understand it to be the case.

Ali offering to refund 100tl is neither here nor there. The drink prices will remain unchanged.

If Ali, or any other restaurateur, were ever to be curt with me should l raise a complaint or issue that too would be the last time l would frequent the establishment.
libens volens potens

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 37 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

I regularly use Bellapais Gardens, beautiful restaurant and love it, but I can assure you Ali’s prices for alcohol are very definitely not in a par, nor would I expect them to be. His wines are very reasonably priced, and everything is clearly stated on the menu. It does appear now though that the OP s issue is the size of the glass used which, when adding a lump of ice reduced the amount of liquid. I assume Ali put the measure, single or double, of vodka in first, then maybe a lump of ice, then topped up with tonic. So, OP had three, so, after the first one why not request a larger glass? Or is that too simple? To be honest, I think the OP may have done Ali a bit of a favour in these difficult times. As they say there is no such thing as bad PR.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 23 of 37 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Been to Azra Claire a few times and always enjoyed our meal.

I am struggling a little to understand that if the costs for drinks are clearly indicated on the menu, then why order and then complain? I always check the cost of not only the meal but also drinks to include wine, beers, spirits and soft drinks.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 37 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Wed 14 Oct 2020 12:49 pm

I am struggling a little to understand that if the costs for drinks are clearly indicated on the menu, then why order and then complain? I always check the cost of not only the meal but also drinks to include wine, beers, spirits and soft drinks.
We do the same.

However, if the drinks are all ice and tonic, the gin “measure” can be drowned out, no matter if served in a slim Jim glass or whatever.

Jeez, there is enough profit to be made out of a bottle of gin, even imported gin, without being tight on the measures. Just saying, not inferring.
libens volens potens

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 37 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

As a vodka and tonic drinker myself, doesn’t really matter the size of the glass, the first to go in is the measure of vodka, which is usually quite generous. Now, it is anyone’s choice if they want an ice cube, that normally goes in next, then topped up with tonic. Now, I much prefer the Schweppes low calorie if poss, but, if it is Schweppes then it is a tad more expensive than the horrible stuff in the green bottle. Then, of course, you may have to take into account a slice of lemon, which may also take up some space In the glass thus prohibiting more tonic..... so back to my original comment, ask for a bigger glass! It’s not difficult! Why have three and then moan...... nowt so odd as folk that’s for sure. 32 Lira a go is still cheap for imported spirits, get a life for heavens sake!

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 37 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

a1sysman wrote:
Wed 14 Oct 2020 1:06 pm
PoshinDevon wrote:
Wed 14 Oct 2020 12:49 pm

We do the same.

However, if the drinks are all ice and tonic, the gin “measure” can be drowned out, no matter if served in a slim Jim glass or whatever.

Jeez, there is enough profit to be made out of a bottle of gin, even imported gin, without being tight on the measures. Just saying, not inferring.
No one has said anything at all about being tight on measure actually. In fact generally speaking over here the spirits as I have already said are first in the glass and generous.. and we are talking vodka not gin.... not that it matters... I am just being pedantic.

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

To contradict my previous post, having done some investigation, the average price of an imported named 'brand' spirit with mixer is around 35/40Tl. So not a rip off at all. I drink beer and wine with a meal. The first poster is incorrect of the assumption of being 'done', go 'local' spirits and see the price difference. If pennies' mean so much, drink alcohol at home and water when out!

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 37 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Brinsley wrote:
Wed 14 Oct 2020 7:22 pm
To contradict my previous post, having done some investigation, the average price of an imported named 'brand' spirit with mixer is around 35/40Tl. So not a rip off at all. I drink beer and wine with a meal. The first poster is incorrect of the assumption of being 'done', go 'local' spirits and see the price difference. If pennies' mean so much, drink alcohol at home and water when out!
Well done Brinsley on actually taking the time and trouble to research facts, and post them. And as an aside, I would never drink vodka and tonic with a meal, how uncouth. As you say beer or wine 😂 defo

Butterflyaway
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Butterflyaway »

Ali

Because of this subject you will be even busier. :+1:)

Steve

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 37 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

Gordon's gin and Schweppes tonic served in a lovely big glass is 16TL at Tolga's Sular in Karsiyaka ((W\))

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 37 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Butterflyaway, went on Thursday lunchtime, fabulous food as always, and was quite busy, so good news.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

Re: Azra Claire's in girne town.

•   Message 32 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Had lunch there today. 10 out of 10, and I'm very fussy!
Great food, service, prices and atmosphere.
Loved the Volcano Maki.
I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone that enjoys Far Eastern Cuisine. I will definitely dine there again and again.
Thank you to the staff for a very pleasant experience.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 37 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Gordon's gin and Schweppes tonic served in a lovely big glass is 16TL at Tolga's Sular in Karsiyaka
What has that got to do with Azra Claire, So eat at Tolga's, and if you cannot afford a Gin and Tonic at 32 Tl don't go out !! (:Z)(

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 37 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

tutor4u wrote:
Sat 31 Oct 2020 8:59 am
Gordon's gin and Schweppes tonic served in a lovely big glass is 16TL at Tolga's Sular in Karsiyaka
What has that got to do with Azra Claire, So eat at Tolga's, and if you cannot afford a Gin and Tonic at 32 Tl don't go out !! (:Z)(
Calm down for heaven's sake. Somebody posted above that the average for an imported G&T was 35-40TL so was just pointing out a cheaper option. No need for such an over the top reaction.

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 37 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

People do need to calm down. Always found this restaurant excellent, food, staff location. HAPPY November people!

martandjen
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 36 of 37 in Discussion

Post by martandjen »

1st visit to Azra Clair's on Friday and was definitely not disappointed!!!
Had some really lovely food with great company and with attentive but discreet service.
The tempora prawns OMG!!!!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 37 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

The tempora prawns OMG!!!!
We had those last night! - mmmmm....

...and Duck!

...and other stuff...

Return to “RESTAURANTS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”