Disappointed with many restaurants in the TRNC

Had a great meal in North Cyprus? Let other members know. Find out where the best restaurants are or what best to order when visiting.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

Disappointed with many restaurants in the TRNC

Post by Soner »

Over the years I have noticed that many restaurants in the TRNC are switching from fresh Cyprus potatoes to frozen or baked frozen wedges. Also, the use of frozen vegetables has become very popular. There is no excuse, customers can taste the difference (or is it just me?). I tend to vote with my feet, but it is a shame as the places I used to like are becoming less and less.

I have no issue with frozen chips being served in fast food restaurants and take-aways, as it is expected, but when it comes to dining out at supposedly good restaurants, I expect to be served fresh food not fast food.

Finally, when it comes to Indian Cuisine, how difficult can it be to cook from fresh meat rather than pre-boiled for hours, refrigerated, then portions to be added in to a curry sauce to reheat? The meat has no chance of absorbing the flavours and simply tastes bland and has no bite.

When you go for a kebab, is that not cooked from fresh? Do you need to wait hours for it to be served? No. So it must be possible to serve fresh food, rather than prepped precooked food.

It is just a shame that many restaurants seem to be going down the wrong route.

Rant over.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

rabbit
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Disappointed with many restaurants in the TRNC

Post by rabbit »

Yes, you are totally right. But to me it's not only what you mentioned
it is also the overcooking of everything. Meet and fish killed two times,
no spices. For us it is very difficult to find a decent restaurant where the
food is actually pleasant.
Staying at home and cooking eventually with friends is the answer.
rabbit

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Laura B »

Cannot disagree with what you both say. We do go out to eat a few times a month but really only for a break as cooking at home is definitely the best food.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

Post by Soner »

Exactly. But, it is nice to unwind and be served in a restaurant. Would eat out more, but that's not happening until restaurant owners realise and get their act together. You cannot beat fresh Cyprus spuds, don't compromise, we can tell the difference.

For reference purposes, this is what they should look like:
Attachments
chips.JPG
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Cypriot vegetables are so good, cheap and plentiful it always surprises me when restaurants serve frozen and/or less than generous portions of them.

Another problem is people do get a bit carried away with their reviews of restaurants over here.
For example the Indian and Chinese restaurants over here are at best average when compared with the UK.
There are no exciting different dishes it is just a greatest hits selection prepared adequately.
You fancy a bhuna and you enjoy it but when I read "It's the greatest Indian food I have ever eaten in my life" then I think you didn't get out much in the UK.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

Post by Soner »

The closest I have got to a good Indian or Chinese meal in the TRNC was from cooking it at home.

I had three different Indian dishes once on different dates, same restaurant. The sauces for Madras, Vindaloo and one other which I cannot now remember, but they were all the same with different heat. Actually, they weren't even a gravy like sauce as you get in the UK, but chopped onions boiled in spices. Boring... As for Pashwari nans, yet to find any coconut bits in them.

Finally, what's with the Samosa's???? Sorry, but wrong pastry being used.

On a roll, and can go on forever. Better to stop now. (:Z)

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by a1sysman »

Soner wrote:
Sat 01 May 2021 2:18 pm
The closest I have got to a good Indian or Chinese meal in the TRNC was from cooking it at home.

Finally, what's with the Samosa's???? Sorry, but wrong pastry being used.
I think you will find, in the UK at least, both Indian and Chinese restaurants have adapted their menu offerings to what British people’s sensitivities and palate find acceptable.

May be the same here, may be not (yet).

My parents undertook an extensive holiday across India a short while after The Jewel In The Crown TV series aired, back in the 1980s. They were shocked at the authentic local cuisine served whilst on their trip, in both high class and less so hotels along the way. It was truly a culture shock for them.

If you get the chance, read the book Sour Sweet by Timothy Mo. It is an education whilst also being a good read.
libens volens potens

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by mrsgee »

If you are looking for good quality Asian similar to Chinese but in my opinion better try azra Claire in town. Fabulous service beautiful food. Crispy duck yum.... Good selection of dishes and good prices.

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by forestpixie »

Balti House Esentepe for the best curry on the island, Grease Monkey Çatalköy for Asian food or a great homemade burger. Saltys for Fish n Chips. Used to like Hurma for traditional mezze and kebab but not been since before 1st lockdown.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by mrsgee »

Sorry to say (moderated) is not a place I would go to for Asian food, I won't say any more as I will no doubt be banned.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by mrsgee »

Agree Saltys fish and chips, fab (moderated) gone downhill in our opinion in the last few years. Used to be good last time we went hubby ordered sea food linguine in tomato sauce... when it came it was in cream sauce who on earth serves seafood in cream sauce? Vile never been back and due to the attitude never will.... there are plenty of better restaurants that know how to cook and how to treat customers.

Bert
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Bert »

Eagles Nest Say no more!!!

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by forestpixie »

mrsgee wrote:
Sat 01 May 2021 4:16 pm
Sorry to say (moderated) is not a place I would go to for Asian food, I won't say any more as I will no doubt be banned.
Ah well different strokes for different folks eh.

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by forestpixie »

mrsgee wrote:
Sat 01 May 2021 4:25 pm
Agree Saltys fish and chips, fab (moderated) gone downhill in our opinion in the last few years. Used to be good last time we went hubby ordered sea food linguine in tomato sauce... when it came it was in cream sauce who on earth serves seafood in cream sauce? Vile never been back and due to the attitude never will.... there are plenty of better restaurants that know how to cook and how to treat customers.
I just saw what went downhill before it got edited haha, shame it used to be lovely there guess the head man went, he was always very attentive and welcoming.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

Post by Soner »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sat 01 May 2021 10:30 am

You fancy a bhuna and you enjoy it but when I read "It's the greatest Indian food I have ever eaten in my life" then I think you didn't get out much in the UK.
100% in agreement.

But to be honest I also had problems in UK. Once a good restaurant had been sold off, it was hard to find a good replacement. When I find a good restaurant I tend to stick with it for as long as they continue keeping up standards. Some I had been going to for as long as 20 odd years. One I used to go to always had queues outside and they had seating for over 200 people. Never ever had a bad meal there, that’s the difference between a good and not so good restaurant.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by mrsgee »

I will say no more as clearly everything I say is being censored.... very sad how this forum has now become. Goodnight and goodbye

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Brazen »

It’s very sad that this forum is moderating posts so that those of us who want to know where to eat or not aren’t considered. Censorship at its worst! Is this because the moderators don’t agree with the opinions or are they taking brown envelopes? I am now awaiting moderation!

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by a1sysman »

mrsgee wrote:
Sat 01 May 2021 9:39 pm
I will say no more as clearly everything I say is being censored.... very sad how this forum has now become. Goodnight and goodbye
When the forum owner (but it could have been any member) starts a thread titled “Disappointed with many restaurants in the TRNC” and then the forum moderators only allow establishments to be named if in a positive light, it simply isn’t a level playing field.

An opinion is an opinion, positive or negative.

I recognise there are now legal implications to posting criticism of a person or business, for the poster and (in this case) forum owner.

How can art and restaurant critics, for example, hope to gain a creditable reputation if all they can report on are the happy clappy reviews?

I though Kibkom set out to be informative?
libens volens potens

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

Post by Soner »

Seems like I may have made a mistake in starting this thread. All I wanted to do was inform restaurant owners that it was not OK to serve frozen veg, as diners can actually tell the difference. I did not set out to name and shame any restaurant. I hoped that some restaurant owners actually read the forum and that they may pick up on what they are actually doing wrong.
As OP I have the right to close the thread.
Apologies to anyone offended.

Return to “RESTAURANTS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”