Bella Moon Bellapais

Had a great meal in North Cyprus? Let other members know. Find out where the best restaurants are or what best to order when visiting.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Mr Mac
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Bella Moon Bellapais

•   Message 1 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Mr Mac »

Visited this restaurant last night, has had a face lift, very nice! Go hungry as lovely freshly made mezze of approx 8 cold and 2 hot included in price of main meal, will certainly visit again.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Bella Moon Bellapais

•   Message 2 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

We go there fairly often and have never been disappointed yet. I agree with the bit about make sure you are hungry as the mezze included in the price is huge. Very friendly owners and staff and vary clean throughout.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Anyone know their opening times? I sent them a message last night asking, but didn’t get a reply.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I tried the message bit before and never received an answer so rang them instead. +90 392 815 43 11

Not sure when they open myself as I know they don't on some lunchtimes but have been there at
6pm before if that helps.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Chriswright03 wrote:
Wed 14 Jul 2021 7:15 am
I tried the message bit before and never received an answer so rang them instead. +90 392 815 43 11

Not sure when they open myself as I know they don't on some lunchtimes but have been there at
6pm before if that helps.
Thanks. I’d do the obvious thing and call them but got a bit of ongoing phone issue.

I will go down there one night after 6 and see what happens. There are plenty of other restaurants around that way for a plan b if it doesn’t work out.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

If it is evening you are after it will be ok after 6. They are well worth it I can assure just make sure you are very hungry!

Mr Mac
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Mr Mac »

it is closed on Sundays

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Wow, the op wasn’t wrong when he said, “go hungry”.

We got there for about 7. It was fairly quiet at first but soon filled up. The restaurant is like an indoor / outdoor courtyard. It’s tidy, clean and well spaced out to follow social distancing regulations. Staff were very professional and wore masks throughout.

To start off with, they brought us warm bread, salad and a selection of olives. Then around 7 cold mezes came. My wife and I both agreed that they were the tastiest mezes we have ever had in North Cyprus. The chicken liver had an almost madras twist to it and the eggplant had a lovely fiery kick. Yum. Then two warm mezes came including some hellim. We were stuffed at this point and refused their offer for more.

For main course, my wife had salmon and I had sheftali. We got a generous portion of vegetables, potatoes with sautéed onions and rice. Again, the quality was fantastic and they did allow a decent gap between the courses, something that not all places do, which is a little bug of mine.

Absolutely stunning food and loads of it. We were not drinking and didn’t / couldn’t manage a dessert. Bill was less than 200 TL. Amazing value for money.

Lastly, some advice please. I have been coming to North Cyprus now for about 4/5 years. Last night there were quite a few locals in the restaurant. We noticed that they got their mezes but unlike us, who gobbled them up prior to the main coming out, they kept them and waited for the mains to come out and then ate them. Is this the correct meze etiquette??? (:Q)

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I am unsure of the etiquette of it as well but I do think that 'we' as Ex Pats tend to gobble it all up because we have paid for it. You don't have to eat any of it and can certainly ask them to leave some of it to have with your main.

I have never had a bad meal there but I accept that someone will be not as satisfied as us and that is the thing with recommendations I guess. Well worth a visit if you haven't been.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Chriswright03 wrote:
Thu 15 Jul 2021 6:21 am
I am unsure of the etiquette of it as well but I do think that 'we' as Ex Pats tend to gobble it all up because we have paid for it. You don't have to eat any of it and can certainly ask them to leave some of it to have with your main.

Also they were most likely having the full meze as opposed to the free starter and would be having all sorts of meat and fish being brought out for hours on end.

I have never had a bad meal there but I accept that someone will be not as satisfied as us and that is the thing with recommendations I guess. Well worth a visit if you haven't been.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Chriswright03 wrote:

Probably comes from not being able to leave the table until my food was all gone as a kid. And I’m married to a Yorkshire lass so wasting food is frowned upon.

:-)

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Trigger wrote:
Thu 15 Jul 2021 7:06 am
Chriswright03 wrote:

Probably comes from not being able to leave the table until my food was all gone as a kid. And I’m married to a Yorkshire lass so wasting food is frowned upon.

:-)
Nowt wrong wiv that!

I usually eat anything my wife leaves unless it is fish or salad.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 25 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Trigger wrote:
Thu 15 Jul 2021 6:16 am

Is this the correct meze etiquette??? (:Q)
I don’t think mezes are traditionally eaten as they are generally served out here, as a starter from what I understand but others are better placed to answer than me on that.
As for etiquettte I think what makes you happy and doesn’t offend is always the right etiquette.
Personally I always try and hold onto some chilli sauce or humus out of the meze to have with my mixed kebab as often there is nowt moist.
I’ve not been thrown out yet for doing so.
Well not that precisely.....

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Thu 15 Jul 2021 3:49 pm
Trigger wrote:
Thu 15 Jul 2021 6:16 am

Is this the correct meze etiquette??? (:Q)
I don’t think mezes are traditionally eaten as they are generally served out here, as a starter from what I understand but others are better placed to answer than me on that.
As for etiquettte I think what makes you happy and doesn’t offend is always the right etiquette.
Personally I always try and hold onto some chilli sauce or humus out of the meze to have with my mixed kebab as often there is nowt moist.
I’ve not been thrown out yet for doing so.
Well not that precisely.....
We have always treated them as starters and usually eat them before the main. We sometimes hold on to a dip such as hummus or baba ganoush to stop me being a heathen and asking for mayo or ketchup, much to my wife’s annoyance. :-)

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 25 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Trigger wrote:
Fri 16 Jul 2021 7:58 am

We have always treated them as starters and usually eat them before the main. We sometimes hold on to a dip such as hummus or baba ganoush to stop me being a heathen and asking for mayo or ketchup, much to my wife’s annoyance. :-)
Your meze etiquette sounds fine to me and aligns with my meze etiquette, lets do dinner sometime :)
My understanding though is according to Hoyle or a couple of TCs i've spoken to about it, the meze is THE meal rather than a starter to the meal.

I guess like anything things get amended to suit customers which is why the dish that most associate with Indian cuisine, Tikka Masala, was invented in Wolverhampton to cater for us nowt moist brigade?

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

lets do dinner sometime :)
Would love to do, so long as you promise not to talk about Brexit, religion, racism, politics, war, football, economics, slavery…

;-)

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 25 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Trigger wrote:
Wed 21 Jul 2021 1:50 pm

Would love to do, so long as you promise not to talk about Brexit, religion, racism, politics, war, football, economics, slavery…

;-)
No problem, as long as the idea isn’t you talking about Brexit, religion, racism, politics, war, football, economics, slavery and I have to sit there mutely agreeing if you are talking drivel.

😉

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Thu 22 Jul 2021 7:25 am
Trigger wrote:

;-)
No problem, as long as the idea isn’t you talking about Brexit, religion, racism, politics, war, football, economics, slavery and I have to sit there mutely agreeing if you are talking drivel.

😉
Ha ha, I guess we could do football. Sunderland are probably on a higher scale, but epic failures of seasons is something we both have in common for last season :-)

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 19 of 25 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Trigger wrote:
Thu 22 Jul 2021 7:42 am
EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Trigger wrote:

;-)

😉
Ha ha, I guess we could do football. Sunderland are probably on a higher scale, but epic failures of seasons is something we both have in common for last season :-)
Can I come to dinner? I have watched the series about Sunderland football club on the tv. Plus as a bonus I do support Peterborough United FC aka The Posh.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Thu 22 Jul 2021 8:17 am
Trigger wrote:
EnjoyingTheSun wrote:

😉
Can I come to dinner? I have watched the series about Sunderland football club on the tv. Plus as a bonus I do support Peterborough United FC aka The Posh.
You could do posh, but not sure that you would fit in. After all, posh were successful last season. ;-)

Ps. Still cannot bring myself to watch that tv programme yet, still too painful for me

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 21 of 25 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Trigger wrote:
Thu 22 Jul 2021 9:19 am
PoshinDevon wrote:
Trigger wrote:

You could do posh, but not sure that you would fit in. After all, posh were successful last season. ;-)

Ps. Still cannot bring myself to watch that tv programme yet, still too painful for me
The tv programme was a good watch and a good insight into running a football club or not a the case maybe. For a club the size of Posh it has to be all about staying up next season.

Bit of topic so back to Bellamoon. Never had a bad meal there. Service friendly, ambience in the garden lovely and food great. Been a couple of years since we last visited so it’s on the list of places to return to hopefully later this year. We love Bellapais.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 25 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

PoshinDevon wrote:

Of course, as a Spurs supporter it is so rare to actually be the supporter of the big club

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 25 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Thu 22 Jul 2021 10:38 am

The tv programme was a good watch and a good insight into running a football club or not a the case maybe. For a club the size of Posh it has to be all about staying up next season.
Yes it was a very interesting programme.
Was a while since I saw it but as memory serves it covered the tail end of the Ellis Short era and the two guys who took over. Can't remember their names.
The two guys seemed nice guys, hearts in the right place and had the right idea but it seemed that their inexperience showed.

The problem for owners is if even if they had 10 billion pounds supporters wouldn't be satisfied unless they spent 11 billion.

Also having the transfer fee and the money to pay what the player wants still doesn't mean the player wants to come to you.
Lots of bits on supporters and what the club meant to them.
Things like getting players in on deadline day and how players have clubs over a barrel.

It was a very good programme maybe more for the neutral supporter though.

Re The Posh is Barry Fry still involved there?
I love Barry Fry.
My favourite Barry Fry interview was when he was at Southend and sold Stan Collymore to Nottingham Forest who were in the same division but obviously a much larger club. Can't remember the exact details but as far as I remember as part of the deal Southend got a large bonus if Collymore hit 30 goals. Anyhow Collymore was getting near the target but had hit a bit of a goal drought. A game against Southend who were mid table was coming up and Barry said if he doesn't get his skates on I might have to goal in goal for that one!

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 24 of 25 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

I can confirm that Barry Fry is still at the club. He has been a fixture for a long long time. Was disliked by many during his time as manager for various reasons. Posh were subject of a Sky Documentary many years ago when Fry bought in Big Orange Ron Atkinson to “help” the then current manager! Now if you want a real laugh watch it. Punch ups in the dressing room, Big Ron offering his advice and the eventual walking of the manager just before a game.

For me; since he moved into his Director of Football role many years ago, he has found his best position. Its the perfect job for someone with a big gob, can talk up a player to sell and has more contacts in the game than anyone.

We have a couple of flirtations with the Championship and have always been knocking on the door. This time we all hope we have learnt from the past! Things look good at present with 3 co owners, reached the top level for our youth academy, new training facilities plus we have a record for developing talent….. which we sell on for big money. New stadium in planning stage. We can only hope it doesn’t all go pete tong.

Back on topic …… Meze at Bellamoon is great!

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Yes as interesting as a discussion on football is ((/)) back to Bella Moon. Went there last night and it was excellent as ever. 7 cold meze, 3 hot meze, your main of choice and a pud. All for what I consider to be a reasonable price and in very nice surroundings with extremely friendly staff.
ResizerImage489X652.jpg
Attachments
ResizerImage652X489.jpg

Return to “RESTAURANTS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”