Fed Up

Had a great meal in North Cyprus? Let other members know. Find out where the best restaurants are or what best to order when visiting.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Fed Up

•   Message 1 of 43 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Fed up with local resturants, all they seem to offer is chicken shish, lamb shish all with chips. can anyone suggest a resturant in the Girne area that can offer a selection of starters, main course that does NOT include shish, and a desert that is not apple pie or lemon cheess cake. (:"()

Panchocat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Fed Up

•   Message 2 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Panchocat »

Avanti, Destiny Deniz, Bellapais Gardens, Royal China,
Sushi and Co, Uncle Sam's, The Old Mill in Ozankoy,
Red Ribbon.....

gates
Business contributing to forum
Business contributing to forum

•   Message 3 of 43 in Discussion

Post by gates »

The House opposite the Akin hotel great restaurant lovely surroundings. Large alacart menu

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Sushico, Chinese, Thai and sushi, all delicious and cooked to order.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 43 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Panchocat wrote:
Mon 14 Jun 2021 3:48 pm
Avanti, Destiny Deniz, Bellapais Gardens, Royal China,
Sushi and Co, Uncle Sam's, The Old Mill in Ozankoy,
Red Ribbon.....
Tried all of these, and they fall short on either starters, mains or desert choice. Only my opinion.

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 43 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

Grease Monkey, The Lodge, Hoots, Veni Vici, The Old Mill, Taro, Joya, Ocean Blue.

slsgjc
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 43 in Discussion

Post by slsgjc »

Azra Claire

slsgjc
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 43 in Discussion

Post by slsgjc »

Veni vici, alvador.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

The Fez, Bella Moon.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 43 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Must admit before lockdown I was queen of takeaways and eating out but now realise I prefer to cook myself and know i am not going to be disappointed. The only dishes I prefer cooked for me or can not do I will consider to purchase.
Azra claire being one who still gets our business

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 43 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Azra Claire very definitely, Sirinyali at Karsiyaka if you like fish, I am amaazed that you do not rate Bellapais Gardens... but, horses for courses I guess. An Alesta, fab food. It really is not difficult to find a good restaurant offerening great food,

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 43 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

I miss Alesta not going out but out :+1:) (8))

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 43 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

My main problem with the restaurants out here is I could drive past them and guess the menu in 95% of them.
I’m no expert on Turkish or Cypriot cuisine but I’m sure there must be more to it then what’s on offer.

One thing I have yet to see out here is a restaurant doing Lebanese food. It’s a good cuisine and I’m sure we must be able to get/grow most of the ingredients out here so it’s very do-able.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 43 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

There was a Lebanese restaurant many moons ago in Catalkoy on the right hand side of the road going out of town, but it didn't last very long. Prior to that it was an Indian (pakistani) restaurant and holiday village (wish I could remember the blooming name - think it began with G). Help me out someone.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 43 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Frontalman....... The Grove??

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 43 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

Third time I've tried to post this, something seems to be up at the moment. Yes that's it Mrs Gee, right next to the old aquapark - we had some wonderful sunday lunches there. Those were the days.

Panchocat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Panchocat »

There was a very good Lebanese at Cratos.
If it opens again try that.......
Not really sure how Bellapais gardens can not meet with your approval. Each to their own I guess.
Azra Claire, Veni Vici and the House are consistently excellent IMHO.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 43 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Panchocat wrote:
Tue 15 Jun 2021 1:44 pm
There was a very good Lebanese at Cratos.
If it opens again try that.......
Not really sure how Bellapais gardens can not meet with your approval. Each to their own I guess.
Azra Claire, Veni Vici and the House are consistently excellent IMHO.
I think Alvador and Sea Point are pretty good as well giving quite a nice triangle in Lapta

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 43 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Panchocat wrote:
Tue 15 Jun 2021 1:44 pm
Last time I went to Bellapais Gardens, they sat my wife and I in the corridor just outside of the kitchen, apparently either that or nothing. Further during the summer months if I wanted dinner around a swimming poool setting i would stay home.
snd1966 wrote:
Mon 14 Jun 2021 7:33 pm
Must admit before lockdown I was queen of takeaways and eating out but now realise I prefer to cook myself and know i am not going to be disappointed. The only dishes I prefer cooked for me or can not do I will consider to purchase.
Azra claire being one who still gets our business
Azra Claire is great , as is Royal China, but i was looking for more european food, for example The Eagle Nest, my last vist was spoilt by a noisy group at the bar, all ladies. But food was good, just looking for something similar nearer. But will try Lords Palace and the House.

jayceebee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 43 in Discussion

Post by jayceebee »

Try Crows Nest up in Karmi/Karaman?

https://www.facebook.com/crowsnestkarmi ... _tn__=EH-R

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 43 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

With respect, there are many options, but if you still feel so limited, and want 'European ' food maybe you need to live elsewhere.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 43 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

mrsgee wrote:
Tue 15 Jun 2021 9:42 pm
With respect, there are many options, but if you still feel so limited, and want 'European ' food maybe you need to live elsewhere.
I choose to live here, all I am looking for is a broader choice of food, whilst I like and enjoy local cusine, I just want more choice ,
EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Mon 14 Jun 2021 8:44 pm
My main problem with the restaurants out here is I could drive past them and guess the menu in 95% of them.
I’m no expert on Turkish or Cypriot cuisine but I’m sure there must be more to it then what’s on offer.

One thing I have yet to see out here is a restaurant doing Lebanese food. It’s a good cuisine and I’m sure we must be able to get/grow most of the ingredients out here so it’s very do-able.
How many restaurants here offer fresh fruit as a desert option? Bearing in mind the seasonal choices we have , wide range of fruit through the year, but not on the menu !!

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 23 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

I do see where you are coming from Tutor4u, many restaurants are getting too complacent. Serving frozen chips and veg when there is an abundance of fresh local produce. Also, preparing food before hand then simply just heating up. Really not on, and they simply do not get the message. It is always touch and go when you dine out here, can be good one day and not so on another day. As for real Cypriot cuisine, there is a big variety, yet restaurants serving these dishes are far and few.

Also, if a kebab can be cooked from raw, why not other foods such as a curry for instance. The food would taste so much better than pre-boiling the meat, refrigerating, then adding to a sauce to reheat.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 43 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

Balti House and Rafters both make a lovely fresh curry.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 25 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Tried one of them. Fresh... (:Q)
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 26 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Let me define precooked meat. If lamb curry, restaurants boil the lamb until it is really soft (has absolutely no bite), refrigerate it then take it out when needed, they add to sauce and re-heat. You can tell if you cut into the meat and it looks pale, or when you put it into your mouth it just falls apart. OK, some people may prefer this, but all the original flavour of the meat has been boiled out.

Went for an Indian with friends a few weeks ago, and one ordered a vegetarian curry. Turned out that all the vegetables used were from frozen, bland watery taste. Why? Doesn't take long to cook fresh local veg. As I have said, customers can wait for a kebab to be cooked from raw, why not other dishes?

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 43 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

tutor4u wrote:
Wed 16 Jun 2021 6:13 am

How many restaurants here offer fresh fruit as a desert option? Bearing in mind the seasonal choices we have , wide range of fruit through the year, but not on the menu !!
Not many and those that do usually throw in some fruit as a freebie.

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 43 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

forestpixie wrote:
Wed 16 Jun 2021 9:12 am
Balti House and Rafters both make a lovely fresh curry.
Oh dear, never had a bad curry from Balti House, tend to go very early maybe why it's fresh. Rafters also much improved now it's changed hands. Everyone's tastes are different though, the world would be boring if we were all the same ;-)

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 43 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Soner wrote:
Wed 16 Jun 2021 8:52 am
I do see where you are coming from Tutor4u, many restaurants are getting too complacent. Serving frozen chips and veg when there is an abundance of fresh local produce.
That and the fact that often the restaurants serve a tiny portion of veg. It's abundant and cheap so why not be generous with it?

Maybe with the economy and tourism as it is, the restaurants will use a bit more imagination with their offer.
For those that do not have a great location they are going to have to think out the box a little and realise kebabs and lamb chops which you can get in 100s of restaurants is not going to save them.
If you go down that route and your offer is exactly the same as everywhere else then you can only compete on price which is not a great situation for those that are in debt and struggling.

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

No one wants the waste.

Little Nige, remember him? from Cyprus44( now passed) started complaining over 10 years ago about the introduction of frozen veg. If your not doing well in your business it suits them and cheaper in the long run.

Many years ago it was unheard of to get a sweet, just fresh fruit.
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

tutor4u wrote:
Mon 14 Jun 2021 3:07 pm
Fed up with local resturants, all they seem to offer is chicken shish, lamb shish all with chips. can anyone suggest a resturant in the Girne area that can offer a selection of starters, main course that does NOT include shish, and a desert that is not apple pie or lemon cheess cake. (:"()
Any joy?

I have to add to my earlier post, we are so full after starters and main at Sushico that we can't manage dessert...

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 43 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Any joy?

I have to add to my earlier post, we are so full after starters and main at Sushico that we can't manage dessert...
Not really a Sushi fan , tried in different places Paphos, Birmingham and Bay of Plenty , NZ. OK but different, might have been the Birmingham accent. Ha Ha

Went to <<Moderated>> last week, food was great except for noisey females at the bar. Might give it go, what did you order?

happyinthesun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 43 in Discussion

Post by happyinthesun »

l noticed the thread about Eagles Nest has been removed....wonder why......a quote on here refers to something detailed on previous thread.....
"Azra Claire is great , as is Royal China, but i was looking for more european food, for example << Moderated>>
Say no more.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 34 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

happyinthesun wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 5:29 am
l noticed the thread about Eagles Nest has been removed....wonder why......a quote on here refers to something detailed on previous thread.....
"Azra Claire is great , as is Royal China, but i was looking for more european food, for example <<moderated>>
Say no more.

That is easily rectified by becoming a Verified Member! (8))

happyinthesun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 43 in Discussion

Post by happyinthesun »

Wooooo....and for that you get a nice little banner under your name......whooppeeee.
[/quote]

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

tutor4u wrote:
Fri 18 Jun 2021 3:44 pm
Any joy?

Not really a Sushi fan , tried in different places Paphos, Birmingham and Bay of Plenty , NZ. OK but different, might have been the Birmingham accent. Ha Ha

Went to <<Moderated>> last week, food was great except for noisey females at the bar. Might give it go, what did you order?

The name Sushico, as we have pointed out to the management, is very misleading... when we mention the restaurant to friends who've not been before their reaction is generally 'not really a sushi fan' so we have to explain that the name has tricked them into thinking that sushi is what it's all about - it's not by any means.

It is a Chinese restaurant that happens to sell sushi as well as some Thai dishes. Our friends who like sushi say that aspect is really good but we prefer their Chinese dishes, crispy duck, beef with black garlic, General Tso chicken etc etc... all delicious.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 37 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

happyinthesun wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 6:17 pm

Wooooo....and for that you get a nice little banner under your name......whooppeeee.

You also get to say whatever you like - apparently

So.... SOD OFF! 🤣🤣🤣

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 38 of 43 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Be Calm Peeps its HOT !!

try this, got new toy Russell Hobbs air fryer, :+1:)

https://mashable.com/article/best-way-t ... dWeYJcbPBM

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 39 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

tutor4u wrote:
Fri 02 Jul 2021 3:07 pm
Be Calm Peeps its HOT !!

try this, got new toy Russell Hobbs air fryer, :+1:)

https://mashable.com/article/best-way-t ... dWeYJcbPBM

OK, you've got me hooked - air fryer into action!

divesups
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 40 of 43 in Discussion

Post by divesups »

Royal Moon fresh fruit for desert!

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 43 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

divesups wrote:
Sat 03 Jul 2021 11:23 am
Royal Moon fresh fruit for desert!
… homemade local dessert with ice cream, followed by platter of seasonal fruit - at weekends.
libens volens potens

happyinthesun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 42 of 43 in Discussion

Post by happyinthesun »

Keithcaley wrote:
Fri 02 Jul 2021 1:21 pm
happyinthesun wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 6:17 pm

You also get to say whatever you like - apparently

So.... SOD OFF! 🤣🤣🤣
Kisses to you babe... 00))) 00)))

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 43 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

happyinthesun wrote:
Tue 06 Jul 2021 5:19 am
Kisses to you babe... 00))) 00)))