Dining Club

Had a great meal in North Cyprus? Let other members know. Find out where the best restaurants are or what best to order when visiting.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

tariqyx
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Dining Club

•   Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Post by tariqyx »

Hi Everyone.

We are moving to Northern Cyprus soon to semi-retire. Me and my wife are both very interested in food and have ran a few restaurants in the UK, I am really interested in starting a dining club. The idea is to host an evening once or twice a month where people could try real, authentic Pakistani / Indian and Arabic food. The cost would just cover expenses and it would provide an opportunity to meet people on the island. I have ran something similar in various counties that I have lived or worked in. The only issue is that we have an apartment in Gyzulyurt which is quite " far from the action". What do you think? Does it sound like something that people would participate in? Any comments or suggestions would be really welcome. Thank you
https://t.me/pump_upp

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Dining Club

•   Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Hi tariqyx and WTTC. You said "semi-retire". Can you elaborate?

tariqyx
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Post by tariqyx »

Hi MnM. I will be retiring but doing a little online work. So technically I wont be "fully retired" but I also wont be restricted by schedules, meetings, classes etc. I'm a university lecturer by profession. Hope that makes sense.

tariqyx
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Post by tariqyx »

MnM wrote:
Wed 30 Mar 2022 9:06 am
Hi tariqyx and WTTC. You said "semi-retire". Can you elaborate?
Thanks for your welcome.

slsgjc
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Post by slsgjc »

Sounds like a fabulous idea ....would love to try lots of different foods cooked authenticly....

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

The idea is great as we also love to try authentic food from different countries.

I think that being located in Guzelyurt may restrict numbers that attend as it’s a bit of a drive for those ex pats that might be interested.

Good luck tho.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

tariqyx wrote:
Wed 30 Mar 2022 12:20 pm
Hi MnM. I will be retiring but doing a little online work. So technically I wont be "fully retired" but I also wont be restricted by schedules, meetings, classes etc. I'm a university lecturer by profession. Hope that makes sense.

Ah the beauty of working online. I'm in online marketing myself. Unfortunately my boss won't even allow people to work from home here in the UK cos he can't see what they're doing, so me semi-retiring to TRNC would definitely be a no-no as he'll probably think I'd be laying by the pool in the sun with my laptop. Oh hang on... (8))

tariqyx
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Post by tariqyx »

Haha 😂!! I teach online so can schedule classes whenever and the added bonus of not having any boss. However, internet speeds have to be fairly high and consistent and the electricity supply has to be predictable. I'm not sure how it's going to go in NC, probably have to try and source a good internet provider and invest in some kind of alternative power supply. We are out in Gyzulyurt so I think internet coverage is not that great. Hopefully it works out!

tariqyx
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Post by tariqyx »

slsgjc wrote:
Wed 30 Mar 2022 9:29 pm
Sounds like a fabulous idea ....would love to try lots of different foods cooked authenticly....
Thanks for the encouragement! Appreciated. We come over in the summer so let's see how it all goes. I've done dining clubs before and they've always been a great success. The food is very different from restaurant food and with all the fresh produce available in NC, I'm really confident the tastes and flavours will be amazing! Thanks again for your support!

tariqyx
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Post by tariqyx »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Thu 31 Mar 2022 6:39 am
The idea is great as we also love to try authentic food from different countries.

I think that being located in Guzelyurt may restrict numbers that attend as it’s a bit of a drive for those ex pats that might be interested.

Good luck tho.
Thanks! You are right, It's going to be a real challenge because of the location. We might start it off with just the local community and take it from there. Thanks for your kind wishes!

terry2366
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Post by terry2366 »

I ran a pub in the city and every Thursday we had a curry club where the members came in brought their food and had the use of the kitchen. They cooked different courses and afterwards sat in the top restaurant and ate everything . It was very popular I sold a lot of drink and they enjoyed themselves. Maybe the same would work here on a night when a restaurant is not busy or closed

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

tariqyx wrote:
Thu 31 Mar 2022 9:47 am
Haha 😂!! I teach online so can schedule classes whenever and the added bonus of not having any boss. However, internet speeds have to be fairly high and consistent and the electricity supply has to be predictable. I'm not sure how it's going to go in NC, probably have to try and source a good internet provider and invest in some kind of alternative power supply. We are out in Gyzulyurt so I think internet coverage is not that great. Hopefully it works out!
As Turkcell's Lifecell offering is based on the mobile telephone network, I think you should be fine for 20mbps internet.... either that or move to the Kyrenia district!

https://www.lifecelldigital.com/

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

terry2366 wrote:
Thu 16 Jun 2022 3:12 pm
I ran a pub in the city and every Thursday we had a curry club where the members came in brought their food and had the use of the kitchen. They cooked different courses and afterwards sat in the top restaurant and ate everything . It was very popular I sold a lot of drink and they enjoyed themselves. Maybe the same would work here on a night when a restaurant is not busy or closed
Tuncay'n Yeri (Tunjay's Place) in Esentepe opposite Şençağ supermarket and Örmrüm Pharmacy is closed on Tuesdays..

I name this ship Curry Club of Cyprus (CCC) God bless her and all who eat in her!

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

It does depend on if you can get a signal with Lifecell (as is the case with other internet providers). I can't get a signal at my home in Tatlisu, but my friends a few mins drive away can.

Tariqyx, suggest you bring a couple of good UPS over with you if you can, unless you have plans for some other type of back up. You can buy here though if you can't, and batteries are easily available. I've got 2 x 1000 VA. One is solely for internet connection and router, keeps it going for about 4 hours during a power cut, and the second one is a back up and keeping laptop charged. Of course it won't last long if you have a desktop.
Last edited by alphamike on Fri 17 Jun 2022 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

alphamike wrote:
Fri 17 Jun 2022 8:15 am
It does depend on if you can get a signal with Lifecell (as is the case with other internet providers). I can't get a signal at my home in Tatlisu, but my friends a few mins drive away can.
Are you sure no part of your property has line of site to the Turkcell telephone masts plastered all along the coast?

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Groucho wrote:
Fri 17 Jun 2022 8:28 am
alphamike wrote:
Fri 17 Jun 2022 8:15 am
Are you sure no part of your property has line of site to the Turkcell telephone masts plastered all along the coast?
Absolutely, the Turkcell guys came and checked just a couple of weeks ago. I was very disappointed as they had such a good deal on offer. They even recommended another provider who would be better for me than the one I am using.

Return to “RESTAURANTS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”