residency application and other questions related to it

Find out about the laws within the TRNC: Residency, Home Ownership, Work Permits, Visa's, Licenses, Speeding...etc.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Mika
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

residency application and other questions related to it

•   Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Mika »

Dear all,

I am a silent reader of this forum since a couple of months and just bought a villa here in TRNC.
At the moment my lawyer is preparing the residency application and I would like to ask how long it usually takes till the approval?

We are a not married couple and my laywer informed me that this should not be a topic of concern. We just need to be able to show sufficient funds on our account and a criminal record in my name. Can somebody confirm that this is the case?

Further questions:
We are from Austria and Germany and entered TRNC via Larnaca. Is this a point of concern as we plan to stay here in TRNC throughout the year?
I recently learned that we might face severe problems if we enter via Ercan and fly back via Larnaca/Paphos as we would be seen as illegal aliens. Do we face some kind of problems in south cyprus when we stay in TRNC for half a year or longer (entering from the South) or should it be OK?

best regards,
Michael

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: residency application and other questions related to it

•   Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

As you are presumably EU Citizens, you should not face any issues.

Since Brexit, UK Citizens like me do have issues...If we enter via Larnaca or Paphos and do not leave by one of those airports within 90 days, then we are considered to have overstayed because ROC officials do not consider crossing the Green Line to be leaving 'their Territory'.

See this post.

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

At the moment my lawyer is preparing the residency application and I would like to ask how long it usually takes till the approval?

From start of application to the granting of temporary residency permit can take from 2 weeks to as much as 6 months. If your lawyer has contacts then it will take less time.

We are a not married couple and my laywer informed me that this should not be a topic of concern. We just need to be able to show sufficient funds on our account and a criminal record in my name. Can somebody confirm that this is the case?

A 'criminal record' statement is not required for residency purposes, only for property purchase. Funds required will depend on whether you own or rent property. I'm guessing you will be renting, so proof of an income or savings equal to 3 times the annual minimum wage (currently ₺118,620 per year ) will be required, if you own property in TRNC it's proof of an income or savings equivalent to the annual minimum wage. Usually a spouse/ partner can sponsor a partner /family so only need proof of income for the sponsor.

Further questions:
We are from Austria and Germany and entered TRNC via Larnaca. Is this a point of concern as we plan to stay here in TRNC throughout the year?

I recently learned that we might face severe problems if we enter via Ercan and fly back via Larnaca/Paphos as we would be seen as illegal aliens. Do we face some kind of problems in south cyprus when we stay in TRNC for half a year or longer (entering from the South) or should it be OK?

You may have problems as you can only stay in South Cyprus for 90 days in 180 days. You must enter and leave via a Southern airport for the time to be recorded. If you enter Cyprus via the North and try to leave via the South they will have no record of entry so may conclude that you have entered illegally. You may be able to check with your own country's consulate as they tend to detail the restrictions that apply to their citizens. See below for some information from the Republic of Cyprus government website

ENTRY UNDER THE SCHENGEN VISA AND RESIDENCE PERMITS IN THE EU AND SCHENGEN STATES
Since June 2014 Cyprus accepts a valid Schengen Visa (category C, double or multiple entry) equivalent to its national visa for transit through or intended stay on its territory not exceeding 90 days in any 180-day period.

http://www.mfa.gov.cy/mfa/consulate/con ... y%20period.

https://mfa.gov.cy/no-visa-requirement.html

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

I believe you need to be in Cyprus for a residency application to begin.

Mika
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Mika »

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback! :+1:)

This will help us a lot to properly apply for the residency.
We bought a villa in Lapta, so no renting and 1x minimum annual wage should do it.

best regards,
Michael

come_on_aylin wrote:
Fri 11 Nov 2022 12:35 pm

From start of application to the granting of temporary residency permit can take from 2 weeks to as much as 6 months. If your lawyer has contacts then it will take less time.

A 'criminal record' statement is not required for residency purposes, only for property purchase. Funds required will depend on whether you own or rent property. I'm guessing you will be renting, so proof of an income or savings equal to 3 times the annual minimum wage (currently ₺118,620 per year ) will be required, if you own property in TRNC it's proof of an income or savings equivalent to the annual minimum wage. Usually a spouse/ partner can sponsor a partner /family so only need proof of income for the sponsor.

Further questions:

You may have problems as you can only stay in South Cyprus for 90 days in 180 days. You must enter and leave via a Southern airport for the time to be recorded. If you enter Cyprus via the North and try to leave via the South they will have no record of entry so may conclude that you have entered illegally. You may be able to check with your own country's consulate as they tend to detail the restrictions that apply to their citizens. See below for some information from the Republic of Cyprus government website

ENTRY UNDER THE SCHENGEN VISA AND RESIDENCE PERMITS IN THE EU AND SCHENGEN STATES
Since June 2014 Cyprus accepts a valid Schengen Visa (category C, double or multiple entry) equivalent to its national visa for transit through or intended stay on its territory not exceeding 90 days in any 180-day period.

http://www.mfa.gov.cy/mfa/consulate/con ... y%20period.

https://mfa.gov.cy/no-visa-requirement.html

Return to “LAW - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”