No rent being paid

Find out about the laws within the TRNC: Residency, Home Ownership, Work Permits, Visa's, Licenses, Speeding...etc.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

keepsmiling
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

No rent being paid

•   Message 1 of 20 in Discussion

Post by keepsmiling »

Hi everyone,....can you advise, please? We have a tenant in our apartment who has not paid rent for several months and who says he cannot afford to. His solicitor tells us that he is trying to get the tenant to pay but the weeks go by. Our tenant once said that he wanted to buy our place but there is no sign of any money. We cannot afford to lose our rent or our property. Who do you guys feel is a good solicitor to represent an expat? Someone who is not against the expat person; someone who speaks English. Please help[ if you can. Thanks.

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: No rent being paid

•   Message 2 of 20 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

as far as I know, according to new laws, if you dont get rent for 2 or more months, its fairly easier now to get an eviction order.

Any lawyer with a bit of knowledge in this area should be able to help you. It is a simple matter that does not require too much of any specialization.

If you want somebody to force them into paying you, that is a different matter altogether. I would say evict them, get your property back so you can rent it out to better tenants, and if you like to pursue getting what you are owed, you can still do that separately.

K.
( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°) Haters will see you walk on water and say it’s because you can’t swim. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
-----
https://www.facebook.com/taskentdogaparki/

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

If the person can't pay the rent they certainly can't buy. Sop either you challenge them as to whether theyhave got a mortgage, or get him out. Cut your losses, change the lock o n the door and move on. You might have to involve the police for the eviction.

If you think going to a lawyer will force the money of of him, then go for it. But you will have to pay the lawyer, won't you, and youoculd be throwing good money after bad.

What do others think.

Oh, and I will try to find the name of a lawyer, if you really want one.
Maid Marion of Malatya
'Plan as if you will live for ever, but live each day as if it is your last.'

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

From what I can work out(Having looked into suing an insurance company), it will cost you the best part of £2000 to take someone to court here-not sure if it's different for rental situations.

This place is crying out for a small claims court of some type.

There are plenty of English speaking lawyers about - Naiomi Mehmet is very geared up for expats.
Others may have different recommendations.
Hope this helps.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

My lawyer is excellent trained in the uk and perfect english. I TRUST her. Funda Kusadali in Girne near Pia Bella.05428561109.

keepsmiling
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 20 in Discussion

Post by keepsmiling »

Thank you all so much for your helpful response. We do feel somewhat backed into a corner and helpless and we can't afford to be losing our income. He just says he hasn't got any money and yet he has opened up a restaurant recently. We know where! Need to consider all options.....

keepsmiling
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 20 in Discussion

Post by keepsmiling »

The thing is that our tenant's contract expired in June. The agent whom we were paying failed to notice this! Does anyone know if we can get the electricity turned off as the account remains in our name and I guess there will be a considerable bill being run up? All we want is to either receive rent or get this character and his wife out. Seems to us that they clearly feel they can simply sit in our property without any conscience.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

Go to the electric board in town and get the electric cut off. Why did you not do that ages ago. Don't expect they can afford too many candles. As it is in your name there should be no probs.

Then go to the police and explain you want helpin evicting the tenants. I thinkyou have bene lied to too much. Also it sounds as if the Agent has much to answer for. Might be worth considering suing them for the rent money if they didn't pick up that the agreement expired. But not sure if youw ant to throw more money away.

Cut off the electric. Get the police to get them evicted. Change the lock. Get new tenants in and cut your losses. The onlyother pathway is more heartache.

If that sounds cruel, no one has shown you any consideration in all this and business is business. Gosh don't I sound a harsh so and so. But I so hate it when nice people such as yourselves get walked on. Not fair, not right, and not proper. Not ethical, not business like and not considerate.
Maid Marion of Malatya

keepsmiling
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 20 in Discussion

Post by keepsmiling »

You're a pal, Marion. So far as cutting off the electric is concerned, we have heard differing tales! One was that they can go to the Electric main office - without a current contract - so long as they have an old contract they can get the electric put back on in their own name. We felt that this is giving away some of our 'power' over the situation. The lady agent has MUCH to answer for, indeed.

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 20 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

You cannot cut off their electric or water. These are considered essential for basic living standards for people living in the premises, no matter whether they are rightful residents or invaders...

Police will not do anything without a court order. If you go and break the lock and change it while they have personal belongings inside, you would be committing a crime and can be taken to court and jailed. I know its your house, and it feels right but...

If you havent received rent for more than 2 months, get a lawyer, and evict them, this is the best you can do under current circumstances. Once lawyers are involved they may back down and leave before it even goes to court so the costs are lower.

K.
( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°) Haters will see you walk on water and say it’s because you can’t swim. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
-----
https://www.facebook.com/taskentdogaparki/

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

One point that is not being made clear here is the fact that much money has alreadybeen involved and with no satisfaction. For a few thousand more, they can get their eviction notice, but the problem is that people do not have a bottomless pit of thousands. The agent has not been fair, and in fact seems to have taken money under false pretences. The tenant has made more promises than are involve din the Cyprus problem, and has broken each one of them.
There is desperation involved here. ~So do you know a lawyer that will help these people for nothing so that they can get justice, or they are victims of a system that merely keeps taking money and tlaks the tlak whilst bleeding people dry of funds they haven't got, and owning a premises they cannot live in.

Some free legal advice and help would be a good thing, methinks.l

I would not for one moment suggest that they break any locks themselves but they must involve the police. Is there no way of them getting an eviction order without paying a lawyer a vast sum of money"! Maybe they want to hear what they CAN do and not what they CAN'T do.
Maid Marion of Malatya

keepsmiling
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 20 in Discussion

Post by keepsmiling »

A lawyer seems the only way, me thinks. Deniz, is Funda trained in matters concerning 'housing'? Any idea what lawyers charge per hour, anyone??

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

How much an hour? Toomuch for my small income. Try Boyson - I can get details. You can ask how much over the phone before you go. But just pay the lawyer for an Eviction Notice, oltherwise I fear it will be money down a Turkish drain.

Good luck. You deserve it.
Maid Marion of Malatya

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

She does all sorts of litigation in the courts so I would assume so.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

Info has bene sent to you via e mail. Suggest you try all the options offered to find your answer. Good luck. It is out there, as they say.
Maid Marion of Malatya

keepsmiling
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 20 in Discussion

Post by keepsmiling »

Thanks, Marion. Appreciate the help. Thanks for email. Will let you know how we get on.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

Let us all know, as there could be others in your position - in fact I am sure there are - and it would be good to know what path to travel for justice and victory. (I have faith tha t you will travel on it.)
Maid Marion of Malatya

whiskeyjoe
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 20 in Discussion

Post by whiskeyjoe »

You say the contract has expired, if you live here And it is your house just move in beside them, they will soon move out asap.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 20 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

I'd cut the water pipe to the property, if it was mine, but then again I'm here and assume you are not.

bargainboozeandwines
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 20 in Discussion

Post by bargainboozeandwines »

keepsmiling wrote:The thing is that our tenant's contract expired in June. The agent whom we were paying failed to notice this! Does anyone know if we can get the electricity turned off as the account remains in our name and I guess there will be a considerable bill being run up? All we want is to either receive rent or get this character and his wife out. Seems to us that they clearly feel they can simply sit in our property without any conscience.
If Electricity is in your name then ask the electricity company to read the meter and turn it off and also take away the fuse.

You cannot get the electric turned on without a kocan or valid contract plus a deposit is needed.

He cannot use the electricity in your name if you do not allow him too.
mandarinorientalcyprus/

https://www.facebook.com/TheRedLionAlsancak/?ref=hl

Making Life Richer For The Pourer |:) (:|

Return to “LAW - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”