Forgetting to check out at the border.

Find out about the laws within the TRNC: Residency, Home Ownership, Work Permits, Visa's, Licenses, Speeding...etc.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Josef k
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Forgetting to check out at the border.

•   Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Josef k »

Hi everyone. I wonder if any of you good people can advise me.

We live in the South and last year we came up to the North for a visit, via Ledra St. Unfortunately when we returned South we omitted to check out of the North.
A couple of weeks ago we attempted to walk through the Ledra crossing again. The TRNC Police told us their records showed we were still in the North. A bit of form filling later and I was cleared for entry, being an EU Citizen. However, my wife is not an EU citizen and was told she would have to send papers (unspecified) to the authorities (again unspecified) in the North to get the record changed on the computer. Couldn't get much further than the fact that our Muktar would have to get involved in some way. Not very helpful, but they did have a big queue.

So, have any of you any idea what we have to do and where? I've tried looking on the internet, but can't find anything relevant.

mac
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Forgetting to check out at the border.

•   Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Post by mac »

hi..

if you or your wife have left the island via north or south recently..
go to you`re main police station and ask them to print in`s and out`s..

Josef k
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Josef k »

Thanks. She has left the island for a month since our border error. so that will be useful. Anyone any other ideas?

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

I think the immigration police at the crossing are asking your wife to get a Muktar's letter to confirm that she is resident in the south. This will be in Greek (obviously) and I would suggest you get a certified translation into Turkish & English at the Press & Information office in the south see: http://www.pio.gov.cy/moi/pio/pio.nsf/t ... enDocument.

Mac's point may not be valid:
1. she has not been signed in & out from the north, hence she is still down as being in the north, so I believe 'the comings/going' paper (as it used to be called) won't help as she has never left the North!
2. If she flew off island, she could also show evidence of this by way of her e-ticket, boarding pass etc. As you state she is not an EU national, did she leave Cyprus via the south? Does she have an exit/entry stamp in her passport for the south? This could all be proof.
3. However, they may base the 'visa overstay' fine up to the date of evidence when she 'left the island', unless the Muktar's letter of residency predates this? Of course this assumes the Muktar is prepared to issue such a letter for use in the North - seriously I would just ask for a letter confirming her residency/address, and not say why you want it!

Hope this helps somewhat.

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

To be honest the only way you are going to find out what you need to do and what info you need to supply, is to go back to the Ledra St crossing and ask the manager there to explain. We recently had a problem when crossing South to meet friends who had never been North before because our residency stamp had expired. Although we had reapplied they refused to let us cross. We asked to speak to a manager and a very nice lady spent about 30 minutes on the phone to her boss and sorted it out for us. She spoke excellent English and was very helpful.

Josef k
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Josef k »

Thanks for this guys, very helpful. I shall engage with our Mucktar who only speaks Greek. Should be fun. Also, her passport shows entry and exit stamps, so that will help.

The remaining question is, where do we send it all to? I woud prefer to get it sorted out before we stump up at the border/crossing point as it is a two hour drive for us.

Roll on a solution.

oneillbox
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Post by oneillbox »

a greek cypriot friend of mine did the same thing, he was denied entry the following year, he had to go to the south cypriot village mukhtar and get him to write out a statement saying he had lived in that village for x years and apologised for the mistake. the mukhtar sends this letter to the turkish authorities.

I took a photo of my mates id, next time i went to cross the border the kiosk lady kindly checked my greek mates id and he was cleared to cross anytime from then.

Return to “LAW - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”