Apartment maintenance costs

Find out about the laws within the TRNC: Residency, Home Ownership, Work Permits, Visa's, Licenses, Speeding...etc.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

tyofidleness
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Apartment maintenance costs

•   Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

Post by tyofidleness »

Hi, can anyone advise on the costs of repainting an apartment complex. We have a smaller apartment but are being asked to pay the same as all other apartments.
Thanks.

guru
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Apartment maintenance costs

•   Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Post by guru »

We had our site repainted last year, every apartment paid the same amount irrespective of size because the exterior of all buildings are classed as being communally owned by all owners in equal shares, as per our title deeds on our site.

I would say that if your deeds show you as individually owning both the interior AND exterior then you should pay a 'proportionate' amount, but if the external building structure is 'communally owned' in equal shares then you should all pay the same.

Hope this helps

tyofidleness
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Post by tyofidleness »

Thanks. Not sure it is stipulated anywhere, neither our contract of sale or title deeds seem to mention it. Very unhappy if we're obliged to pay the same as larger apartments.

tyofidleness
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Post by tyofidleness »

Thanks. Not sure it is stipulated anywhere, neither our contract of sale or title deeds seem to mention it. Very unhappy if we're obliged to pay the same as larger apartments.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Better find out then as shared title deeds can sometimes be a problem if you want to sell in the future.

tyofidleness
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Post by tyofidleness »

Thanks
Might end up paying a solicitor to establish this.

guru
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

Post by guru »

We don't have 'shared deeds', we have individual freehold title deeds to our apartment and within that deed it entitles us to an equal share of the site and communal areas, site and communal areas being the exterior fabric of all apartment buildings, gardens, pool, plant and equipment etc etc etc. Not that different to a typical apartment block or flats in the UK except that in the UK they are normally leasehold.

Our site has had many sales and purchases over the years and never a problem.

Paul 50
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Paul 50 »

Probably cost you more for the solicitor to tell you you have to pay than to just take the hit and pay your share

Cally
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Cally »

I can see this is from last year but the site I am on are in the process of doing the same & as I have an internal ground floor with a lot of cladding at the back, I enquired with my solicitor where I stood.

"With regards to your query, I can advise that you do not own a 1/200 share of all apartments. Instead, you have a freehold title deed for your apartment, together with a share ownership and rights to use all communal areas and facilities subject to the provisions of the relevant laws concerning ownership of communal areas/facilities"

I now know where I stand

guru
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Post by guru »

Cally wrote:I can see this is from last year but the site I am on are in the process of doing the same & as I have an internal ground floor with a lot of cladding at the back, I enquired with my solicitor where I stood.

"With regards to your query, I can advise that you do not own a 1/200 share of all apartments. Instead, you have a freehold title deed for your apartment, together with a share ownership and rights to use all communal areas and facilities subject to the provisions of the relevant laws concerning ownership of communal areas/facilities"

I now know where I stand
Are you sure? See my post no 7 above. Unless your site is different to most others in the TRNC what you individually own by yourself are the 'internals' of your apartment from the plaster face inwards. The freehold fabric and structure of the buildings are jointly owned which is as the TRNC apartments law states.

Don't take all that your solicitor says as gospel. Solicitors (and I use that term very loosely in the TRNC) do not know everything.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

guru, wise advice indeed. Advocates here, generally, state what they think you wish to hear and what you will pay for.

Cally
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Cally »

Guru, what I wrote was copied from the reply I received from advocate. Are you saying it is not worth the paper it is written on?

guru
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

Post by guru »

Cally wrote:Are you saying it is not worth the paper it is written on?
In a word, yes. Most advocates in the TRNC will have not even read the laws pertaining to communal complexes in the TRNC, let alone understand them.

Return to “LAW - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”