How do Will's work here , different to the UK ?

Find out about the laws within the TRNC: Residency, Home Ownership, Work Permits, Visa's, Licenses, Speeding...etc.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

laptatony
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

How do Will's work here , different to the UK ?

•   Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Post by laptatony »

I was told the other night that will's work differently here in respect of entitlement to a deceased parents estate. My wife and I have willed all assets to each other depending who dies first. We have been told that the law here still entitles any of your children to be entitled to a claim on the estate and you have to get their permission to give up that entitlement. Has anyone had experience of this, is this correct ?

The Dog Walker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: How do Will's work here , different to the UK ?

•   Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Post by The Dog Walker »

The rules regarding Wills are different for Turkish Cypriots, and what you were told applies to them. However, ex-pats can make their Wills in Favour of whoever they choose, and those Wills will be upheld.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I understand that it is advisable to lodge the Will with the Courts (but I've forgotten the procedure )

MoBry
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Post by MoBry »

If you die intestate, your estate gets divided between every member of the family. We made our wills once we'd bought our apartment, went through a solicitor, ensuring the surviving partner (unless we peg out together!) gets estate, and then dividing estate between three children. You get it filed in the court or something, sealed with sealing wax (long time, no see), and then get a copy yourself. We went through Naomi Mehmet whose staff took us through the whole, painless procedure. I think going through a solicitor and ensuring everything's right and tight is a weight off your mind. Just my opinion though as I know some people have made out wills themselves.
Do your best to grow old disgracefully.

sundance
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Post by sundance »

Mobry what is the approx cost to get a will like this done in north cyrpus?

Sundance

MoBry
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Post by MoBry »

It cost us GBP200 or GBP220 each, can't remember the exact figure. But we considered it a worthwhile expenditure to give us peace of mind that everything was done correctly according to North Cyprus (Islamic) law. I mention Islamic as provisions are different from those in the UK and in Australia where we lived which is why we decided to play it safe.
Do your best to grow old disgracefully.

sundance
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Post by sundance »

Mobry many thanks for that, we are back out in Oct and plan to sort it for peace of mind,

Sundance

Return to “LAW - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”