INHERITANCE TAX - UK AND NORTH CYPRUS

Find out about the laws within the TRNC: Residency, Home Ownership, Work Permits, Visa's, Licenses, Speeding...etc.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

FE2015
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

INHERITANCE TAX - UK AND NORTH CYPRUS

•   Message 1 of 4 in Discussion

Post by FE2015 »

Hi,

I would welcome any advice from British Citizens who have had experience in inheriting property from property in Northern Cyprus.

I am a British born citizen, but both my parents were born in TRNC (now divorced) but both are British Citizens also.

We believe my father has a property here in TRNC, with the deeds in his name (which we are currently investigating).

It is likely that me and my siblings will inherit the property in the event that our father passes away (he currently has severe dementia in the UK, and may do so for many years - but is completely unaware of events around him).

My question is, what do people do in this sort of situation?

LawLex
Verified Business
Verified Business

Re: INHERITANCE TAX - UK AND NORTH CYPRUS

•   Message 2 of 4 in Discussion

Post by LawLex »

Dear FE2015

Since your father is still alive, if he is still with sound mind and is capable of signing documents, he can transfer the property in equal shares to you and to your siblings.

Otherwise, if he passes away then your siblings and you have to set up your father's estate here to get the property transferred into the names of his beneficiaries.

For more information please contact me from [email protected] or on 0533 822 7228. Lawlex Law & Consulting.

FE2015
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 4 in Discussion

Post by FE2015 »

The question I have is this:

If our fathers property/land in KKTC is an asset - that is declared to the UK government - will his beneficiaries have to pay 40% UK inheritance tax to the UK government?

What if his beneficiaries do not want to sell their fathers property? It a family home, and would not want to be forced to sell it - to pay for 40% inheritance tax to the UK.

The land was given, by the KKTC, in return for long service in the army/war - before becoming a British Citizen.

Any advice would be most welcome from anyone who knows about British and KKTC law or who has had to deal with this same issue before.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by FE2015 on Sun 10 May 2015 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

LawLex
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 4 of 4 in Discussion

Post by LawLex »

Dear FE2015

Please send me your email address via [email protected] as I do not want to discuss your father's personal circumstances in an open forum.

Many Thanks

Lawlex Law & Consulting

Return to “LAW - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”