Residency for Renters??

Find out about the laws within the TRNC: Residency, Home Ownership, Work Permits, Visa's, Licenses, Speeding...etc.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

melmills100
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Residency for Renters??

•   Message 1 of 24 in Discussion

Post by melmills100 »

I went to Lefkosa Residency Office today to get a paper to start the residency process where I was informed that unless I buy a house I am not eligible for a residency permit. They said I must leave the country every 90 days. This is no problem but how do I get a driving licence? I understand my insurance becomes invalid after 3 months on a UK licence. Does anybody have any information/suggestions?

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Re: Residency for Renters??

•   Message 2 of 24 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Was not aware of the residency rule if you are only renting.

I understand that you can get a TRNC driving licence by obtaining a muhtars letter and taking that along as evidence you are living in the TRNC. You can then apply for a driving licence in the normal way.

Worth a search on the forum as tho subject has come up before.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

DenBoy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 24 in Discussion

Post by DenBoy »

Melmills100

Please do not feel anything other than I am curious regarding the new residency rule as this would completely scupper our hopes as we wanted to rent for the first 12 months and who knows thereafter - surely this is going to affect a lot of people who already rent.

Can anyone else throw any light on this subject please or who could I contact - this apoears to have happened overnight by the looks of it.

Any input would be very welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis
As I grow older, my mind doesn't just wander..............sometimes it just leaves me completely !!

Fesenjan123
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Fesenjan123 »

I've lived here for two years just renting and they have accepted my rental agreement no problem, even offering me two years residency at my last renewal. I would be interested to know if this is actually a change in the law, or as I suspect, the usual make it up as you go along scenario, and if you see a different face At immigration they will tell you something completely different.
The panel game 'WouldI Lie to You?' Springs to mind. Panellists (immigration officers) are given different scenarios to read to other contenders and those contenders (expats applying for residency) have to guess whether those scenarios are true or false.
Still, it keeps us on our toes

DenBoy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 24 in Discussion

Post by DenBoy »

Fesenjan123

Thanks for that A this would affect a lot of the property rental company's in TRNC as those also wishing to rent on the island.

Fully understand what you say re 'would I lie to You' scenario - would be interested in any further views from other members please especially if anyone know someone in the Lefkosa office.

Thanks again

Dennis
As I grow older, my mind doesn't just wander..............sometimes it just leaves me completely !!

melmills100
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 24 in Discussion

Post by melmills100 »

To be honest I was a bit confused as I had read the instructions to obtain residency on various sites and nothing like this was mentioned.

I went to Girne police who said I had to go to the Lefkosa Is ve Calisma Bakanlik to get a paper first. I went there and that's what I was told. It was the Murdur I saw who was adamant it was only for home owners and that I must leave the country every 90 days.

I asked how to get a driving licence without residency and was told I couldn't. He said I should have gone and found out about the residency before I bought the car, and then I would have known. Helpful.

melmills100
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 24 in Discussion

Post by melmills100 »

And has anyone under 60 managed to get a driving licence with just the mukhtar's letter?

melmills100
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 24 in Discussion

Post by melmills100 »

Further update on this... Tried to apply for a driving licence with Mukhtar letter, no chance.

Spoke to the police who've said as long as I'm on a tourist visa I can keep driving on UK licence, they don't see what the issue is with the insurance. They say if I'm named on the policy it should work. Insurance agent calling the head office tomorrow to see if this is the case.

DenBoy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 24 in Discussion

Post by DenBoy »

Following the initial post, I thought I would contact someone from one of the local estate agents in TRNC - their reply is as below;

Hi Dennis,

Please do not listen to hearsay. You can get residency with your rental contract. We have clients who have only just got their residency with their rental contact the other day.

If you still feel the need to speak to someone you can go to the citizens advice bureau in Catalloy, they also have a Face Book page.

Alternatively you can speak with Ersan Tomay, who can help you with your residency, contact number is 0533 847 4444. Just tell him that North Cove gave you his number.

Dennis

melmills100
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 24 in Discussion

Post by melmills100 »

But how can it be hearsay when the person who needs to approve it said it's not possible? I was told no by the manager of the residency office in Lefkosa. If he won't approve it then what can I do?

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 24 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

I feel for you, unfortunately here it does seem a case of whether your face fits. Nobody has seemed very helpful especially as all you are trying to do is stay within the law.
I think like the estate agent has advised you need a good Cypriot friend to go with you, hence why they have recommended Pembe Citizens advice Cyprus who of course is a business and payment is required.

melmills100
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 24 in Discussion

Post by melmills100 »

Further to this, yesterday I crossed the border and was only given 30 days visa and told to get a residency...!

Has anyone else been in this catch 22 situation? I know I will have to resort to person who 'assists' with this, but why is it all so difficult??

Nuggets
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Nuggets »

DenBoy wrote:Following the initial post, I thought I would contact someone from one of the local estate agents in TRNC - their reply is as below;

Hi Dennis,

Please do not listen to hearsay. You can get residency with your rental contract. We have clients who have only just got their residency with their rental contact the other day.

If you still feel the need to speak to someone you can go to the citizens advice bureau in Catalloy, they also have a Face Book page.

Alternatively you can speak with Ersan Tomay, who can help you with your residency, contact number is 0533 847 4444. Just tell him that North Cove gave you his number.

Dennis
Hi, have you got the link for the facebook page please?

Nuggets
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Nuggets »

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 15 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

This might be clutching at straws, but...

If you asked for 'Residency', then you might be refused, if they were in an awkward mood.

What you need to ask for is a 1 year (or 2 years, if you are over 60) Visitor's Visa stamp in your Passport.

I can't believe that they wouldn't know what you meant, but sometimes....

Nuggets
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Nuggets »

Just a thought but, if you had Turkish citizenship would you need residency or would you qualify for citizenship in TRNC ?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 17 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

TRNC and Turkey are two separate Countries - citizenship of one of them has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Citizens of Turkey are just 'Foreigners' here, the same as English, German etc...

Nuggets
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Nuggets »

Keithcaley wrote:TRNC and Turkey are two separate Countries - citizenship of one of them has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Citizens of Turkey are just 'Foreigners' here, the same as English, German etc...
Interesting, are you not subject to the same laws / policies and procedures as in Turkey?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 19 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

In a word - NO!

Someone did post a link to an official website listing TRNC Laws some time ago, but you would have to find it yourself, unless anyone else remembers where it was posted.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 20 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Actually, I think that I just found it here

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 24 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

I know this is an old post but I wonder why the OP went to Lefkosa to start the process when it is the police station that you need to go to? Maybe if they had gone to the police with all the required documentation (including their rental agreement) they would not have had a problem.

Also for the benefit of the other poster, Citizens Advice no longer exists so no point in looking at their FB page.

Nuggets
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Nuggets »

Keithcaley wrote:Actually, I think that I just found it here
Thanks for that.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 23 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

JoandJelly wrote:I know this is an old post but I wonder why the OP went to Lefkosa to start the process when it is the police station that you need to go to? Maybe if they had gone to the police with all the required documentation (including their rental agreement) they would not have had a problem.

Also for the benefit of the other poster, Citizens Advice no longer exists so no point in looking at their FB page.
Message 6 of this thread says: -
...I went to Girne police who said I had to go to the Lefkosa Is ve Calisma Bakanlik to get a paper first. I went there and that's what I was told. It was the Murdur I saw who was adamant it was only for home owners and that I must leave the country every 90 days...

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 24 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Actually, reading that last paragraph, I can see where they've gone wrong - I think...

The " Lefkosa Is ve Calisma Bakanlik " is concerned with Work permits, not Visitor Visas - It is the immigration section of the Interior Ministry who deal with so-called 'Residency' (Visitor Visa) permits.

If they unknowingly asked for the 'wrong thing' in the first place, (or were misunderstood), then every step that they took would be a step further away from their goal...

Return to “LAW - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”