Help Getting Through Legal Requirements for Residency

Find out about the laws within the TRNC: Residency, Home Ownership, Work Permits, Visa's, Licenses, Speeding...etc.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Jane M
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Help Getting Through Legal Requirements for Residency

•   Message 1 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Jane M »

I will be coming to Kyrenia to retire in June 2016. Is there any agency or anyone trustworthy who can help with the legal requirements of getting residency driving licence, health checks etc? I am over 60. Someone who knows the right government agencies, where they are and which forms are needed would be immensely helpful. Jane M

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Help Getting Through Legal Requirements for Residency

•   Message 2 of 28 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

There is a society here called the British Residents Society with its own web-site containing numerous areas of help for expats. Suggest you have a look at it, then you decide whether to join as a member when you get here for even more help. There are a number of 'fee-paying' agents who'll readily take your money and deliver a service ranging from poor to very good. On our arrival here we met such an agent (British) who wanted £100 up front to do the leg/paper work. Finally, did it ourselves and found the various processes frustrating but manageable.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

It really is not too difficult, And aside from the BRS there are people on this forum who would help. Many of us have been there, done that etc, and can help. Or you are welcome to send me a private message and I will happily share what I (and hundreds of others) know.

No need to give anyone money for help with that.

Good luck with it all, and I so hope that you will find a happy life here with little or no hassle!
Maid Marion of Malatya
'Plan as if you will live for ever, but live each day as if it is your last.'

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 4 of 28 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

I would agree with Marion.

Plenty of advice on this forum and there is no real need to pay anyone to help you along the way. Unless of course this is your preference.

The process for all that you have asked is reasonably straightforward and providing you have all the paperwork in place, go to the correct offices in the correct order then it is not that difficult.

Possibly the trickiest bit is just making sure you know the location of the various offices, but again there are plenty on this forum who can not only give you a detailed list of the order things are done but also directions and locations of the offices.

Once you have done it once you will not forget.

Final piece of advice.....patience is required if there is a bit of a queue and smile.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

As to getting to fofice,s I am sure someone would take you if you felt completely lost. Of course it might cost you a drink in return!
Maid Marion of Malatya

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 6 of 28 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Agree Marion....someone would be willing to help I am sure.....for the price of a glass or two of Cyprus lemonade.

We will be going thro our renewal in March. As far as the cost is concerned if you work it out at price per day....it really is not that much and offers peace of mind in many ways. really its about the cost of a bottle of beer!
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

I was thinking coffee! And as you say it is cheap at just over £1 a week.
Maid Marion of Malatya

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 28 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

PoshinDevon wrote:Agree Marion....someone would be willing to help I am sure.....for the price of a glass or two of Cyprus lemonade.:
but so many want more £100!!!= 422tl THINK minimum wage 1860tl a month then ask is it money well spent.

I personally would ask when you arrive if anyone is renewing and tag along. I have had 2 couples tag along and it was no problem for them or me.

blueparrot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 28 in Discussion

Post by blueparrot »

I will be arriving at end-March and will be applying for residency.

I would very much like to 'tag along' with people who will be applying or re-applying in the first half of April.

I will of course share petrol costs and would be happy to buy lunch!

Any takers, please PM me. Many thanks.

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

I was of the understanding that residency was not needed if you have turned 60 years of age

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

carlee wrote:I was of the understanding that residency was not needed if you have turned 60 years of age
Unfortunately, no one in an official capacity will put that in writing!
Search on the forum and you will see what I mean.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 12 of 28 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

I agree with Keithcaley.

There has been plenty of discussion about residency for the over 60s on this forum. It seems a gentlemans agreement that it is not required, however if you delve deeper into the realms of car insurance and other areas, the 90 day ruling makes things all very unclear. Some have crossed over the border after say 80 days expecting another 90 day stamp, only to be given 30 days and told to start the temp residency process. Some say car insurance is invalid, some say a Turkish driving licence is required.... Once you start to read everything the message is far from clear.

We have read so much on this subject and it is all very unclear, so to avoid any problems we decided to do the temp residency process and make the payment due. Done our first year. We are under 60 but even when we reach this milestone will continue this process - unless we something in writing from the TRNC authorities. We much prefer not having to have the worry and possible hassle, plus when you work out the cost per day it is the price of a beer.

Some have a different view which works for them, it does not work for us though.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

Agreed. Each to their own - choices! One very important aspect of this is that if you wish to apply for permanent residency, and even continue to hope for citizenship, as some of us, then you will have to have the requisite number of stamps to even begin to qualify and apply.

If you are not remotely interested in either in the future, then by all means go with the flow - but as posh in?Devon says there can be complicaitons.

For just over £1 a week to get Residency, surely it is a good investment to know that you will have no probs with driving licence, car insurance, property , telephone, other bills etc.

It is indeed a 'gentleman's agreement' and with nothing in writing, to me, it is risky. But as I said, ' each to their own'
Maid Marion of Malatya

Jane M
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Jane M »

How very kind everybody is. I shall not be joining you until June when my contract ends here and is shall RETIRE!!! But my sister and I will be out in April to look for an unfurnished villa,, like hen's teeth as I have cone to find out. However, my furniture has to have an address to go to so have to find something somewhere. But in mid June I will be out on my own to try and get the legal things in place, buy a car, get hooked up to wifi, receive my container etc. I will definitely join the British society then in order to find out where all the offices are, and then, as you say, buy a good book and stand in line! As I will be retired and not working for the first time in my life it will be good training for getting used to a slower pace of life.

As to buying some Cyrpus lemonade, I would be delighted to. Will be great to meet people who have been in Kyrenia for some time.

Does anyone know when [ not if] I rent a villa in April could I get the residency piece of paper from the Mukhtar then or will it take several days? Also can I open a bank account without residency?

Thank you all again. I look forward to meeting you at some point and raising a glass or three!

Jane

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

Hi Jane M,
If you haven't got your container organised yet, I would ask on here for recommendations.
There are some pitfalls along that road too.
Also, when you move here, you can use your UK Driving Licence for 90 days,
after that you must apply for a TRNC one, you retain your UK licence.
Navek

blueparrot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 28 in Discussion

Post by blueparrot »

Hello, Jane. I am in the process of moving to NC as well.

Yes, you can open a bank account without residency.

Re shipping, I think I will be using Euromed to transport goods from UK in June. They seem to have a good reputation, though this will be the first time I've used them.

Re residency, you will need to get your rental contract stamped at the Girne tax office (I have done this). I understand you will also need a muhtar's letter (I have not done this yet, will do it in April). Then you start the official process for residency as outlined in other threads and BRS website.

I will be trying to do all this before you do, in April. Please feel free to PM me with any questions.

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

hi brittania done our move they done everything as well as all necessary paperwork

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 28 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

Hi Jane M we moved out last year Residency isn't has daunting has it seems, we used Euromed for shipping with no problems, if you dont need a full 40 foot container it is possible to ship part loads .
Use the search facilty on the forum most questions have been covered numerous times but dont be afraid to ask.
Has someone who is selling a unfurnished villa, If you see a property you like advertised furnished it is worth asking about the furniture I would imagine most seller's would make alternative arrangements if it helped sell, ours is advertised with white goods only but if a potential buyer wanted any furniture I'm sure we would be amenable.
If you are renting first, it may be worth storing your furniture in the UK until you purchase your own property has there is very little to no storage facilities here like we have in UK and house removals is normally a man with a van if you can find one, o
Last edited by kerry 6138 on Thu 25 Feb 2016 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blueparrot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 28 in Discussion

Post by blueparrot »

Perhaps I should add (and others please correct me if I am wrong):

It's my understanding that you cannot import goods (which must not be 'brand new' anyway) until you have residency, or you will have to pay duty? You must get residency first?

Also, after you arrive, there is a time limit within which you are allowed to import goods duty-free? Is it a year?

Have I got that wrong?

Thanks.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 28 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

blueprint, forget, for the moment this magical 'residency' status. All you will get in your passport is a 'visitor' status stamp. Even over 60, my understanding is you must apply for more than a 90 day status, once. Thereafter, you can take your chance. We imported our chatters when we moved here and had no status, albeit we owned our property. Concentrate on the move, then investigate the type of stay here.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 21 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Tom is right - Provided that you can show - via a sales Contract etc. - that you are purchasing a Property (or even, perhaps, entering into a long-term Rental Contract, but you would need to check that) then you are allowed a one-off tax free consignment of your own personal pre-owned household goods. Residency (actually Visitor Status page in passport, as Tom stated) is done independently, and involves your local Muhtar verifying that you live at a particular address, amongst other requirements.

blueparrot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 28 in Discussion

Post by blueparrot »

I spoke to Euromed again. They said as long as you have a long-term rental contract (stamped by tax office) you can import goods that are at least six months old. You do not need to own a property. I hope they are right. Guess I'm going to find out!

melmills100
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 28 in Discussion

Post by melmills100 »

So are they issuing residency for people renting now? When I tried last year they told me to get lost until I'd bought a house.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 24 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

melmills100 wrote:So are they issuing residency for people renting now? When I tried last year they told me to get lost until I'd bought a house.
I think yhat you simply got the wrong person, on a bad day!

I know loads of people who rent, and get a yearly Visitor (not Resident) Visa stamp in their passport.

Try again, and if you encounter any difficulty, ask to speak to the Manager.

The BRS also want to hear from anyone experiencin 'irregularities' or obstruction in the process.

melmills100
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 28 in Discussion

Post by melmills100 »

It was the manager who told me to get lost!!!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 26 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Did you have your officially stamped Rental Contract (plus a copy) with you?

As it was your first application, I think that you would have (or should have) gone to the Police station first - what did they say?

In any event, I think that it will be well worth your while to join the BRS - details of how to apply are on their website - and then enlist the help of the Committee member who deals with such issues, or the local Community rep for your area.

Let us know how you get on!

...and Good Luck.

melmills100
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 28 in Discussion

Post by melmills100 »

Keithcaley wrote:Did you have your officially stamped Rental Contract (plus a copy) with you?

As it was your first application, I think that you would have (or should have) gone to the Police station first - what did they say?

In any event, I think that it will be well worth your while to join the BRS - details of how to apply are on their website - and then enlist the help of the Committee member who deals with such issues, or the local Community rep for your area.

Let us know how you get on!

...and Good Luck.

Yes, I had Stamped rental agreement, muhtar letter, bank statement. I went to the police first in Girne, they said to go to Lefkosa police. Went to Lefkosa police, they sent me to a Government office. I went to there, asked at information where to go, was sent to the murdur office who said "Where's your title deed? Come back when you've bought a house." Then he said I didn't need a residency anyway I could just cross the border every 90 days...err, tried that!!

I later tried Ersan Tomay for help, he said if you want to stay here buy a house or get a job...

Frustrating for sure. I will contact BRS.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 28 of 28 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Went to Lefkosa this morning to complete our extended visa requirements. Both of us are under 60. Arrived at 10:10am. Purchased the necessary stamps from the cafe.......13TL each. Ticket machine was working, unfortunately the number board was not! Caused slight confusion but as not many people about we just went into the big office and stood around for a while. Eventually our number was called out, handed over passports and blood test envelope. Sent to cashier to pay for the year - 283TL each. Back to main office. Passports stamped, pink cards handed back. All done and dusted by 10:50am.

Into town, parked up and enjoying cay and a pastry by 11:20am!

All legal again and no worries or concerns crossing the border, driving etc etc.

Return to “LAW - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”