UK Reg car in the TRNC

Find out about the laws within the TRNC: Residency, Home Ownership, Work Permits, Visa's, Licenses, Speeding...etc.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

rosieA
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

UK Reg car in the TRNC

•   Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

Post by rosieA »

Does anyone know how long you can keep a UK Reg car here in the TRNC. We want to bring one here for a few months without importing it as it will be taken back to the UK.

Also.... if the car is brought into the country ( NC) by the port of Girne am I able to drive it over the border to the south to get it serviced and then bring it back here? . Car has full European insurance and UK tax etc.
Last edited by rosieA on Sat 05 Nov 2016 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: UK Reg car in the TRNC

•   Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

It used to be one year I believe, but I'm only going on hearsay. Maybe someone with actual experience can enlighten you.

TB10pilot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

Post by TB10pilot »

We drove a car down here. We were given one month at the port. We arranged our local insurance before we arrived as it is expensive at the port. We were then allowed up to a year, providing UK road tax had been paid and we had local insurance. You must then pay the import duty or take the car out again.

old trucker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Post by old trucker »

You may have a problem proving the car is taxed as we do not have tax discs now check before you go

rosieA
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

Post by rosieA »

Thanks for the info, that's really helpful. Another question......
If the car Has Full European insurance, is a U.K. Reg car with all paperwork in order will I be able to drive it over the border to get it serviced in the south and bring it back to NC if the port of entry was Girne ???

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Back in 2004 I arrived with our private hire vehicle from the uk, it still had uk private hire liabilty insurance, uk road tax and I had an operator's licence for Europe and its off shore islands and private and hackney taxi badges.. The only thing that seemed to rattle the other side was I kept the car taxed, one night when they tried to stop me entering, they contacted a higher person in authority who said even though it was entered via Kyrenia, this is a valid port (pre 74 recognised entry to Cyprus but now in the occupied territory) the car was strictly European and he could not prevent me crossing. Very angry and kept shouting why you keep, most people send back as he waved my car tax at me.
For the north I had a yellow sheet and paid tax and arranged local insurance, this with our in and outs we finally imported it in 2006
Remember though only those on the yellow sheet can drive the car
Last edited by snd1966 on Tue 08 Nov 2016 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

TB10pilot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

Post by TB10pilot »

re message 5
I doubt it. Kyrenia is considered by the GCs to be a port of illegal entry.

fatouche
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Post by fatouche »

You can keep a UK registered vehicle in the TRNC for one year, or until the UK tax expires, so beware.

MoonageDaydream
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

Post by MoonageDaydream »

You can import for up to a year, after that time you either have to send the car back to the UK, or pay the import duty and re-register the car on TRNC plates.

As far as going south in a car imported via Kyrenia or FaMagusta, you can't, as the south regards these ports as "illegal points of entry".

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Now I am confused, why? Well, I know for sure at least one taxi driver here has been flying back to UK every two years for the past 15 years and buying a two year old Mercedes (top of the range model) at a car auction and then driving it back here, using the ferry from Mersin to Kyrenia on his last leg of the journey.

If no car imported via Kyrenia or Famagusta is allowed to cross the border into the South, please explain how he carries passengers back and forward to Larnaca on a regular basis??? That is not only why I am confused!

Additionally I see car transporters full of brand new cars travel up from the Kyrenia new port and on wards to Lefcosia. All of these must have been imported via what is deemed (or not) as an illegal point of entry and could therefore not be allowed into the South. In which case I must stop going in my car which definitely was imported onto the Island in this manner! It just does not make any sense!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

Could this be because the cars that are registered in TRNC are allowed to cross (for whatever reason) but those still registered elsewhere (ie Europe or Uk etc) are not allowed to cross.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

MoonageDaydream wrote:You can import for up to a year, after that time you either have to send the car back to the UK, or pay the import duty and re-register the car on TRNC plates.

As far as going south in a car imported via Kyrenia or FaMagusta, you can't, as the south regards these ports as "illegal points of entry".

This must be a very new thing, in 2004 lots of cars from the uk entered the north and visited south, we did not even have to buy the insurance for the south as our European insurance covered us. I also have customers who legally have had their car here over 6years as it used to go on the person's in and outs not the car. They did have to pay trnc road tax and each visit take their in and outs across to customs to get the yellow form updated.

Return to “LAW - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”