How soon can I apply for residency before old runs out?

Find out about the laws within the TRNC: Residency, Home Ownership, Work Permits, Visa's, Licenses, Speeding...etc.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

suehowlittle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

How soon can I apply for residency before old runs out?

•   Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

Post by suehowlittle »

My residency runs out on the 9th which is Saturday.

I have everything ready to go to Lefkosia but am worried that they will make me wait possibly until the 8th (Friday).

It would be great if I could do this on Wednesday. I am needing to go urgently to the UK and cannot book my flight until I have the residency in place.

Anyone know?

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: How soon can I apply for residency before old runs out?

•   Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

I think you should go tomorrow.You used to be able to apply 15 days before it was due.

suehowlittle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

Post by suehowlittle »

Many thanks Owl Lady, will try tomorrow. Hopefully they will allow it.

Owl Lady
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Owl Lady »

I am sure they will.good luck

Barbieb
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Barbieb »

Sue if you mean to collect your residency, they will not allow you to collect it until previous one has expired, myself and my husband queued for three hours two years ago, to be told that we could not get new one until the next week when existing on had expired, to say we were peeved of was an understatement, as we had been at offices from 7pm and had been told at the police station to collect it in two weeks, even questioned the police and said don't you mean 3. There was someone else at immigration in queue in same situation, we told them not to bother, however they decided to give it a try and we saw them the next week as well, sorry to tell you this but I hope it saves you wasting your time

suehowlittle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Post by suehowlittle »

I thought it might be different now that the police station is not involved.

It runs out at midnight on the 8th which is Friday. I think I might try Friday, after all, they are not open on saturday or sunday and I really must get it soon as I need to get to the UK as fast as I possibly can.

It really has irked me that I cannot leave the island without having this in place, I really needed to be gone a week ago, and feel a bit like a captive at the moment!

You would think that you could get a slip of paper which simply stated that you had applied for your renewal which would mean you could leave without incurring a massive financial penalty on your return.

Oh, well, must respect the law even when you know it is unjust.

Barbieb
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Barbieb »

Trust me we were fuming when we couldn't get ours, how does it make a difference if it is ready, it is not like they are issuing a brand new one, but as you say we must abide by the laws, and good luck on Friday, I hope you succeed and please let us know how you get on for future reference x

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

I'm really confused by this, previously there was no problem leaving the country just before your residency expired, I have done this a couple of times. I just got it when I came back without penalty. Is this something new? If you try to leave after it expires then there is a problem but the police at the crossing told me you could go South on the day it expires and come back after midnight and get 90 days or whatever they feel like giving you at the time, though I have not tried this.

mickhm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

Post by mickhm »

Our residency was due to expire on the 28th November. My wife was due to return to the UK for 2 weeks on the 15th November. On about the 3rd November when to the police at farmagusta, then the hospital and back to the police.

Returned to the hospital on the 13th and got the results. Lefkosia on the 14th. Paid loads of money and bought stamps and waited 2 hours. Got residency stamp in passport dated to 28th Nov 2013. Wife flew out and back without any problems
As I got older I congratulated myself on my tolerance..... Now I realise I just don't give a "ooops"

mamachina
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Post by mamachina »

As I put on a previous posting re renewals of residency - when I was there two weeks ago I asked how early one could come in to renew, if over 60, and was told up to 2 weeks, longer than that ring first and explain why you need to go earlier eg leaving the country. You can go after it is due and I believe pay a small fine for every day overdue, but that I am not 100% certain about. If you still have to do the Xray and blood test bit, as being nice and young - Im afraid I cannot answer that for certain, but it used to be about 3 weeks at the Police station - and then if it takes longer to go through then they still date it from the original previous date, not the date you collect it. Hope that helps someone a bit!!! By the way, this is all personal info NOT BRS!
Be warned all that info in Cyprus Today last Sat about changes in blood test rules, payment etc etc is not settled - yet!! Which is why BRS have not said anything about it - when they know for certain that it has been passed by Interior, finance and Health, then they will give all information. I believe both the health spokesman and the paper jumped the gun!! The fees for the medicals are a nice little earner and I imagine they wont give that up easily, so the payment could be the same, but the getting of the residency easier - we will see!!!

suehowlittle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Post by suehowlittle »

Thanks to all who replied to my query.

My residency runs out at midnight tomorrow, I am a long way over 60 and this will be my 7th year of renewing (did 2 years last time and hoping to do the same this time) I would think them very hard if they refused to do it before it ran out!

I am desperate to leave the country next week to see very sick friend and visit my mother on the 80th birthday.

here's hoping

mamachina
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

Post by mamachina »

Hope your residency getting went ok - there should not have been any problems - if there were please let us know.

Return to “LAW - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”