Turkish Airlines transportation policy

All you need to know about looking after your pets in North Cyprus. Find out about vet services, how and where to register your dog....and much more.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Jane M
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Turkish Airlines transportation policy

•   Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Jane M »

I am bringing my two dogs from Kuwait, only to be told that Turkish Airlines will only allow me to bring one as excess baggage, the other will have to go as unaccompanied cargo, at a hugely increased cost! I don't know if this is a new ruling, or if it only applies to the middle East, but I see no logical reason for it. If they can transport one dog why not two? My dogs are small, dog and create will both be around 20kgs each, so I don't think it is the size that is a factor. Just letting people know, if they didn't already, that transporting multiple pets by TA may be an issue. I was not told this before by anyone at TA when I had discussed transporting my dogs. Apparently some new rules came in in April, including doubling the per kilo excess baggage costs, so this may have come into effect then. Jane M

jayceebee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Turkish Airlines transportation policy

•   Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Post by jayceebee »

We were told something similar by TA rep in Oman in April when preparing to bring our two cats here. Contact with head office in Istanbul was made and finally permission to travel with two cats, in two crates on the same flights as us was given. Maybe you just have to ask TA in Kuwait to do the same?

brian24001
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Post by brian24001 »

Are 2 of you flying?
Book separately with one dog each.
The wife keeps complaining I never listen to a word she says ............. or something like that.

Jane M
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Jane M »

Further to my post on Turkish Airlines pet transportation policy, it seems that the 1 pet per person per plane is the rule now. Eren, the travel agent at Ankara travel which is used by KAR, couldn't manage to get two pets booked with two people on the same flight. As a result of this I had to pay for a return ticket for a friend to bring one of my dogs out on one day while I followed with the other dog the next day. Obviously this greatly adds to the cost of transporting pets. Last time I looked TA were still stating on their web site that two pets could travel as excess baggage, but this was not the case, at least not from Kuwait. On the upside however both dogs arrived safe and well. A great big thank you to Kim at KAR for all her help.

Jasja
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Jasja »

I think it's more to do with I interpretation by the Turkish Airlines staff member when you book your pets. On Turkish Airlines website it says 2 pets per passenger but I would think that might be different if they're dogs as the carrier's are generally bigger. Eden at Ankara Travel is a treasure when it comes to booking flights with pets.

Return to “PETS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”