Costs of flying a dog to the UK

All you need to know about looking after your pets in North Cyprus. Find out about vet services, how and where to register your dog....and much more.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Joker1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Costs of flying a dog to the UK

•   Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Joker1 »

KAR are transporting my Spaniel from Ercan to Heathrow in December. Just had the costs from them and it's a mouthwatering twelve hundred pounds! KAR costs are 750£ this includes the dog basket. The killer is a Heathrow 'clearing' charge of 450£. How can they justify this as he will be there only an hour or two before my Daughter collects him.

Fesenjan123
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Costs of flying a dog to the UK

•   Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Fesenjan123 »

£750 charged by KAR is a reasonable cost I think but I agree with you about the disgusting charge at Heathrow. That's why when we go back to the UK, my dog will travel by land as I'm not prepared to pay money for old rope.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

And this is why so many just can not afford to take several pets back with them, unfortunately circumstances change, we have three old dogs and 2 old cats which will be our last as we are getting to the age ill health will be the next caller at the door.

Road does seem to be the way to go

ifonly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Post by ifonly »

The problem is that pets can only fly into the UK as manifest cargo and the clearing at Heathrow MUST be done by an agent (UK rules). Heathrow is the most expensive UK airport for pets. But it is the ONLY one that pets from TRNC can fly into !!!! Despite KAR Pet Travels repeated requests for an alternative "approved route" - for example it would be good to have an approved route into one of the northern airports for owners relocating to North UK. BUT so far the requests have been denied.
On a plus side ---- the more pets owned by 1 family that fly together (cannot mix cats and dogs - Turkish Airlines policy) the less the costs for the 2nd, 3 rd etc. For example to clear 1 dog at Heathrow is £425 (think there may a typo on your costs joker1) but to clear 2 it is £455 and 3 is £475 or £495 - i cannot remember exactly.

KAR Pet Travel also provide help/advise on flying pets into EU first then into UK in a vehicle (tunnel/ferry) - thus avoiding the Heathrow clearing costs and they also help/advise on overland options - thus avoiding Heathrow clearing costs.
You can contact them on 0533 8694098 or email [email protected].

fatouche
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Post by fatouche »

Consider flying them into Paris or Brussels, then driving to UK with them. Alternatively travelling overland is a possibility. I used the services of Hireit Ltd who are in Catalkoy by the Crispy Squid. Contact Ralph on 0533 822 5855

[email protected]

Return to “PETS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”