puppy

All you need to know about looking after your pets in North Cyprus. Find out about vet services, how and where to register your dog....and much more.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

AFC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

puppy

•   Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

Post by AFC »

Hi,
Im looking at taking a puppy in, wanted to know about what vaccinations and or other things are needed etc and costs associated. It's about 1.5 months old.

Thanks

Cally
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: puppy

•   Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Cally »

6 weeks is pretty young to leave mum but sometimes there is no option. I am sure a chat with your local vet will tell you what is needed, but if you want a popular one then there will be some recommendations. Defleaing & worming are very important, vaccinations follow on. Micro chipping is a legal requirement but how many do is another matter, however if your intended youngster gets out it can be traced back to you.
I hope you enjoy the possible addition to the family

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

It is quite expensive adopting and keeping dog, but it is well worth it in the benefits of company, affection, amusement nd interest it will give you.

I do hope you are adopting a stray not buying, as there are so many poor animals wanting homes. Also if you have not already chosen one please consider carefully which breed would be best for your circumstances . Many strays are cross-bred,but there are also surprisingly many pure breeds and animals where the prevailing breed is obvious.

You will need:

1. Vaccination against various diseases dogs are prone to.

2, A microchip inserted in the animal

3. Registration with your local Beledye : this is compulsory and you have to have the dog chipped first

4. Worming tablets at intervals.

5. Treatment against fleas and ticks at least in the summer months. You may also wish to invest in a paraband collar which protects against sand fly infections which can be lethal.

You may also want to get the animal a collar and lead and some kind bed or basket it to be kept indoors, or kennel or another form of shelter if the dog will live out of doors. It is wise to have a tag attached to the collar giving your name and phone number (NOT the dogs as that may help someone to kidnap it!)

The dog will also need feeding of course. Proprietary foods abound on the supermarket shelves, but the cost can add up and it is cheaper and in some ways better nutritionally to make you own out of pasta and cheap cuts of meat/offal. You may also want to buy dog biscuits for treats and training aids. And some toys, including a ball!

First thing you need to do is take the puppy to the Vet and arrange for vaccination etc. Do not take the dog walks and particularly do not let him mix with other dogs until the Vet has cleared him and he has had thenecessary vaccinations to prevent the spread of disease.

Unless you have a really good and kind dog loving friend, you also need to factor in the cost of kennels or dog sitter for holidays and your illness!!!

I cannot remember all the cost : very sadly veterinary costs have increased beyond reason recently - others may be able to advise you as to the best Vet in your area. As a general indication this month I have paid 530 tl for neutering a bitch, removing a hair ball from another dog's paws and 3 paraband collars!

I hope this has not put you off - once you have met the initial expenses, the ongoing costs are mostly vets fees and this is partly luck and partly how well you care for your pet. The worst thing of all is if someone adopts dog and then finds they don't want to spend the time and//or money is takes and abandon the poor thing just when is thought it had found a home.

You should also train your pet. I don't know if any courses are being run at the moment but if money is an aspect you can work from a book, and there is also a lot of advice on dog care and training on the Internet (though often it is in American!)

If money is an issue, you can save some by visiting outdoor markets, charity shops and car boot sales for items like bedding, collars and leads, toys and even home made biscuits.

AFC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Post by AFC »

Guys, thank's for coming back to me, the puppy is a german shepherd cross,and is being given away free of charge, Appears to be a lab/germ shep or rott/germ shepp

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

I dont want to scupper this puppy's chances of a good home, but it sounds as if it is going to grow into some large dog. Be aware that it will need a lot of food and a lot of exercise. It is essential with dogs like German Shepherds and Rotties that they are properly handled , trained and housed. If you do take this puppy please do your homework first and read and look at the internet about how to train these animals. It will take hard work and patience . You should also think about fencing your garden (or part of it) to prevent the dog escaping . You will need a large garden and to take it for daily walks. DO NOT if you care at all about animals keep it ina small cage or tied up, except for very short times in an emergency. Please see the thread on this board, and report in Cyprus Today of an attack on a man and his smaller dogs by a large dog.

You mention this dog is being "given away". If you should decide that a smaller , or more docile breed, there are several charities who are desperate to find homes for strays and they do not all charge if they are satisfied the dog is going to a good home

Alternatively if you decide on a type of dog you could put a notice on here describing what you would like. Sadly there are people who through their own illness or other personal circumstances can no longer care for their dog and would it would be a real kindness to give it a good home.

PS I am not saying that all smaller breed are easier to train, or less likely to be aggressive , but usually they are easier to handle and the results of failure or mistake less drastic. If you are thinking of a guard dog, terriers are usually very good at this,,

AFC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

Post by AFC »

Ragged Robin thank-you for all your advice, definitely appreciated. I will definately look into posting for a puppy on the forum, the one I was after found a home within an hour of my post on here.

Cally
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Cally »

Are you on face book AFC, there are lots of puppies looking for homes. If not maybe you know someone who is, log into Hope4Pets or KAR have lots of puppies up at their shelter. I'm sure you can find one

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

I am only too glad to help AFC and glad that you have the sense to find out what is needed before you adopt one - dogs really do need human company and it is so sad that so many have no homes or are kept in pounds. I believe it is of vital importance to help and advise people who have no experience of animals but are prepared to offer one a good home - so many adoptions fail just through lack of a bit of knowledge or a helping hand.

One thing I did forget was to advise you to have the animal neutered. Not only does it prevent more sad little puppies dying of starvation etc., but it will make life easier for you. An unneutered female will attract all the neighbourhood males to your gates when she is in season and so many female dogs spend all their lives having puppies which have no chance of survival. A male dog will be less aggressive and particularly less liable to stray and chase bitches in season.

The operation is very simple for dogs , a bit harder for bitches because it is more invasive but not major. The latest addition to my canine family was "done" a week ago, she was ill for a few hours because of the effects of the anaesthetic but now she is running about very happily and literally jumping for joy at mealtimes and when I return to the house,
and you would never know she had it. And neutering does not cause weight gain in dogs provided they have adequate exercise and a proper diet. With modern techniques normally with an otherwise healthy dog, the owner does not have to do anything special (except pay the Vets bill!) except to watch the diet and try to stop the dog being too active for a week or two.

Cally
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Cally »

AFC I took this from fb, the last baby is still looking for her home.if not she has to go to the shelter on friday...She is a cross-breed husky two monts old with brown eyes..Pls help her!
0548 8416266

I haven't been able to copy the pic

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Here you go...
Attachments
husky1.jpg
Husky2.jpg