Poison Warning

All you need to know about looking after your pets in North Cyprus. Find out about vet services, how and where to register your dog....and much more.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

BODGER
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Poison Warning

•   Message 1 of 4 in Discussion

Post by BODGER »

Please be aware that there are a number of cats & dogs being poisoned in Lapta in Kadir Cadd area ( the road with the entrance to the local school and Lapta Hospital in it) My house is at the end of this road opposite a local carpenters and restaurant. Both my dog and my next door neighbours dog have been poisoned in their gardens as neither of us walk our dogs in the streets given they have been attacked by local strays . Sadly my neighbours dog did not survive but died slowly in agony despite the vets best efforts whislt our dog did survive but suffered the same agony and at this time is still unwell. According to a local there have been over 10 cats and dogs poisoned in our area in the past 2 weeks through eating poisoned meat that has been put down to cull the large number of stray cats that have been howling and fighting and scavenging for food round and about. It is not thought that anybody has thrown poisoned meat into our gardens but rather cats have dropped this poisoned meat ( poisoned with insecticide in dogs case ) or even Crows into our gardens. So please where possible check your gardends as the sight of our dog fighting to survive the poison was must distressing and the death of my neighbours dog has devestated him.

Paul Fletcher

kayc
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Poison Warning

•   Message 2 of 4 in Discussion

Post by kayc »

terrible way to die. I saw a video recently on FB from that area of a dog suffering the effects of poison. Really, it is cruel. Why can't the localities hire a dog catcher, or invest in some live trap boxes to catch the strays?! It would be so much more humane. I think the poison is not the answer to the stray problem. The answer is enforced leash laws, and incentives for sterilisation. The loose dogs are a danger to people who walk their dogs on leash, a danger to the public as obviously they are not maintained in the vaccines, and some of them are aggressive as well.

I guess it will take a child coming in contact with this poison for this problem to be approached in a manner that is more humane and safe for the public.

aerhere
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 4 in Discussion

Post by aerhere »

Thank you for posting a warning and sorry to hear that this has happened yet again in this area. We hope that your dog makes a speedy recovery and has no lasting damage. We understand the devastation your neighbours must feel.

Every year this happens in this area, we were told that at least four dogs were killed last March in the lane opposite you.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 4 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

aerhere wrote:...Every year this happens in this area, we were told that at least four dogs were killed last March in the lane opposite you.
It sounds like the same individual is probably responsible...

Return to “PETS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”