DEVASTATING EPIDEMIC HITS KAR - KAR IN LOCKDOWN

All you need to know about looking after your pets in North Cyprus. Find out about vet services, how and where to register your dog....and much more.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

KAR
Verified Charity
Verified Charity

DEVASTATING EPIDEMIC HITS KAR - KAR IN LOCKDOWN

•   Message 1 of 59 in Discussion

Post by KAR »

We never know what is going to come through our door (or fence or our office) and we are used to dealing with all manner of sad little (and not so little) souls. Our incoming rescues rarely come with medical notes or background info. But one recent abandoned litter has left behind a wake of horror, fear and destruction. DISTEMPER.
Staff arrived one morning to find a litter of pups abandoned up at the centre. They were automatically health checked and put into a quarantined area. It was not long before staff noticed that one puppy was snuffling and coughing. He was monitored carefully and the next day he had a fever and so was taken to a local vet. Distemper is not the first usual illness that vets here check for - there are many other illnesses here that can initially have the same symptoms - and the puppy was treated for other illnesses. His condition, at the Center, further deteriorated over a period of time and the vet advice was sought. At that point, it came to light that there had been a recent case of a dog with Distemper in the Girne area. So the puppy was tested and the result was positive. The puppy was put to sleep and staff were advised to keep a close eye on the siblings. It was not long before they too became ill -Distemper. The whole litter sadly was euthanized. That was the end of the problem so KAR and the vet thought.
Not so.
Over the course of a couple of weeks cases were cropping up primarily in the quarantine area and also the puppy runs but then it seemed to spread into other compounds within the KAR Centre - more areas were being quarantined as best as possible. However still the Distemper spread. Hardly surprising when it can be spread by airborne viral particles breathed in. The decision was taken to not accept any more puppies - as all too often they are very susceptible and no more infectious puppies could be risked coming into the Centre - it was a case of isolating the existing problem - not bringing more problems in. But what were staff to do when they arrive to find another box of puppies by the gate, another pup or teenager tied to the fence?
More and more dogs were becoming ill and more and more cases of Distemper were diagnosed. Staff and volunteers were at an all time low as more and more of their beloved KAR dogs were succumbing and dying, or being put to sleep, because of this dreadful visitor Distemper. Dogs that had been promised homes away from the TRNC, dogs who were happy and healthy, dogs who were old, dogs who were new residents - Distemper wasn’t fussy who it affected. The first adult dogs to succumb were some of those who live at the Center and are on maintenance programs for Leishmania (and there are quite a lot) - their immune system (due to the Leish) is already low and so they were amongst the 1st victims - they either contracted the Distemper or the Distemper aggravated their Leish symptoms and they died. Staff were arriving in the mornings to find dogs had died overnight - it has been heart breaking for them.
Our local Vet Niyazi (and Melda) was fantastic as usual - he knew how serious such an outbreak could be and was trying so hard along with the Centre manager staff and volunteers to treat and contain the spread of the disease.
Today it has very sadly been confirmed that now every compound at KAR has suffered from the disease. KAR are now, as of April 6th, in LOCK DOWN. No animal can be accepted at the Rescue Centre and no dogs are leaving the Centre. No dogs are sadly available for homing at the moment.
Following advice from a Professor in Turkey (where a similar outbreak has been reported ) emergency supplies have been requested of a heavy duty vaccination along with supplies of intravenous Vitamin C (which is not currently out of stock in TRNC , with new supplies on their way from France - due to arrive over the next week or so - hopefully !!!). Vets and staff will begin a massive program for all of the dogs left up at KAR to try and give them a chance against Distemper - we do not know if it will work. We do not know if they will survive.
But we have to do what we can - otherwise the very real reality is that there will be no dogs at the KAR Rescue Centre.

Some people may poke their fingers and lay blame at KARs door but everyone in the know is agreed that KAR have done everything , now and in the past, to prevent all infections (Including Distemper) - with all puppies and dogs who come in, after their quarantine period, receiving vaccinations, having health assessments, and ongoing checks and any necessary treatment etc. Sadly this has proved not to be enough.

KAR has thought about the pros and cons of going public with this news – we do not want to alarm people unnecessarily but it is such a really nasty disease and has caused us so much pain (and money) that we feel we need to explain – explain what we are going through at the moment and why we cannot take anymore animals in or let any of our KAR dogs out. We have already lost 80 dogs to this outbreak of DISTEMPER we do not want to lose anymore – but we feel that it may be inevitable. But we have to try and give them all the best chance of survival that we can.

Owners also need to monitor their own pets - KAR did not bring this disease in - puppies from the Community brought it to KAR. Those puppies had been in the community and were contagious before they were dumped at KAR. They caught it from some other dog in the TRNC community.

As you can imagine the cost for all of the treatments, tests and euthanasia so far has tested KARs budget seriously. The imminent program due to begin immediately will be very very expensive with over 300 dogs to treat. KAR are urgently in need of any help we can get to help save these dogs and to contain the Distemper.
You can donate at our Karakum office or into any of our bank accounts:
UK A/C Name Kyrenia Animal Rescue. HSBC 40 - 21- 02 11364812
TRNC CREDITWEST £ A/C 37 -301 - 0000000714 TL A/C 32 - 301 - 00000000056

To all of our staff, volunteers and vets – without your help we cannot even begin to save the ones that we have left. You are ALL truly amazing – we are just all so sad that so many could not be saved. Thank you
It has never happened before in the TRNC like this – let’s hope that we can stop it in its tracks and that it never happens again.

We appreciate that you may have question so if you have any questions specifically about the situation at KAR please email our office - [email protected] and we will respond as best we can - when we can. Please bear in mind that all of our emotions, energy and time is currently being spent on trying to save the dogs that are currently at the Rescue Centre - so we may not respond immediately.
If you have any questions about Distemper itself, or are concerned about your dog, please speak to your vet.
Last edited by KAR on Fri 06 Apr 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
KAR account is just for posting and not responding to queries. Contact our Office for information.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: DEVASTATING EPIDEMIC HITS KAR - KAR IN LOCKDOWN

•   Message 2 of 59 in Discussion

Post by erol »

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 59 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

My heart goes out to all at KAR, totally heartbreaking.

bigbadbob
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 59 in Discussion

Post by bigbadbob »

Heartbroken for all those animals who have died and all those who are still fighting for life.
All of the volunteers and helpers of KAR will be giving heart and soul and doing their best as they always do to help these poor souls.
Love to you all and respect!
BBB's other half.

KAR
Verified Charity
Verified Charity

•   Message 5 of 59 in Discussion

Post by KAR »

please check symptoms in your own dogs. this is not just an issue at the Centre.

https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/re ... _distemper
KAR account is just for posting and not responding to queries. Contact our Office for information.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 59 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

This hopefully will make EVERYONE be they local or expat realize that the yearly injections are a must. Distemper is probably not one of the yearly package of injections given by your Vet, then insist that it is now. PLUS, check and double check street dogs and litters of pups if you see one around your area showing symptoms and report it. Distemper is a KILLER, make no mistake and highly contagious. You can't afford to be sentimental with Distemper. The staff and volunteers are distraught. They have done nothing wrong. The disease has been brought in from outside either from the streets or elsewhere. Please wish KAR all the best as they need it and especially MONEY.

PS: Please don't take any dog or pup to the centre regardless of its condition. REPEAT, KAR IS IN LOCKDOWN.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 59 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

sophie wrote:This hopefully will make EVERYONE be they local or expat realize that the yearly injections are a must. Distemper is probably not one of the yearly package of injections given by your Vet, then insist that it is now. PLUS, check and double check street dogs and litters of pups if you see one around your area showing symptoms and report it. Distemper is a KILLER, make no mistake and highly contagious. You can't afford to be sentimental with Distemper. The staff and volunteers are distraught. They have done nothing wrong. The disease has been brought in from outside either from the streets or elsewhere. Please wish KAR all the best as they need it and especially MONEY.

PS: Please don't take any dog or pup to the centre regardless of its condition. REPEAT, KAR IS IN LOCKDOWN.

What injection? Research on the internet states there is no known cure, albeit there are varied opinions. I would be interested to know what injection is available in the TRNC to either prevent or cure canine distemper.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 59 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Discuss with your Vet. Certainly there is no cure if an animal has it.

Cally
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 59 in Discussion

Post by Cally »

There is lots of info via google.....

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 10 of 59 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

My wife and I volunteered at KAR for a few months a couple of years ago and we also found and rehomed our lovely Pointer; Kilroy last year. We know how hard this will have hot all the volunteers and we hope and pray that this terrible disease can be beaten.

The loss of 80 dogs already shows how hard this has hit the centre.

If anyone can help please do donate to KAR.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 59 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

I have checked with our vet & the normal puppy/annual vaccines they administer here include Distemper

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 59 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Thanks for that Ozankoys. Perhaps stupidly I had always assumed that they did, but it is good to be reassured. I checked the stamps on my dogs' "passports "an all but the last one actually said "distemper". Now I have to check what the last one (which was just a trade name) was!

"

ITFCMike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 59 in Discussion

Post by ITFCMike »

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 59 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Ragged Robin wrote:Thanks for that Ozankoys. Perhaps stupidly I had always assumed that they did, but it is good to be reassured. I checked the stamps on my dogs' "passports "an all but the last one actually said "distemper". Now I have to check what the last one (which was just a trade name) was!

"
I have now checked with my Vet and he also confirms that he package of vaccines includes distemper. Ithink most do, but since doubt has been raised anyone with concerns should check their own Vet, although bear in mind that if there is an epidemic Vets will be overrun.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 59 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Would have been nice to have stated the trade name that includes distemper? However, if your dog has been given "Vanguard DA2Pi" instead of the normal "Vanguard plus 5L4" then your dog is covered for the distemper jab. Wonderful thing Google!!!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 59 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

I didnt quote the trade name because I was uncertain about my facts, and the small print was difficult to read! and I did not wish to risk misleading anyone Howeve if it important to you the earlier injections appear to be Biocan L and Biocan DHPPi . I think from Google (which is also not so very clear)that DHPPi is the distemper vaccine but in any case it says "Vaccine against distemper " in minuscule print. The 2018 stamps simply Eurican DAPPI and Eurican DAPPI L multi with no further indication of what they are against.. I used a different VET this year (reason irrelevant to this thread) but he has assured me my dogs are covered for distemper and there is no need to worry.

Not so, however, the many strays including those which are given food, water and shade but do not have an owner who can afford the cost of vaccinations, If good can come out of evil, I hope this will encourage the authroites and others to realise that individual ownership is the best thing for dogs, and those who are prepared to take the trouble of caring for strays shoud be given every assistance (including financial where necessary) rather than being put off be the heavy cost of ownership , particular veterinary costs and relief care..

Holly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 59 in Discussion

Post by Holly »

Moderators. Why , Why , Why was this not left on the main forum??

Not everyone views Pets and Animals and all should be aware of the situation/nightmare that KAR are experiencing.

Common sense says leave it on Pets and Animals , but reinstate it to the main forum to make everyone aware please.

Holly

Holly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 59 in Discussion

Post by Holly »

Apologies for previous posting as I now see it is on both + more.

Holly

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 59 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

I see that KAR advise notifying the authorities if one sees an apparently affected dog on the streets. Please could someone tell me which authority - I doubt if the Muhtar of Ozankoy would show much interest. In any case it seems to me this is a national problem, if the relatively well cared for dogs at KAR are going down like ninepins, the street dogs must be even more vulnerable, and I see there is a report in Cyprus Today of dogs dying, presumably of distemper, in another shelter - a report apparently on Facebook. Does anyone realise the consequences of an outbreak of distemper, it affects some wildlife as well as dogs, which will be at risk from infections by hunting dogs, which are surely not vaccinated! Has anyone advised the Hunting Association and other relevant authorities of the outbreak at KAR? I do not want to be alarmist, but an epidemic could upset the balance of the ecology if not dealt with promptly.

I took one of my dogs for a run this afternoon and kept a good lookout for infected strays (partly for the dog's sake as I did not want her fraternising!),
All the loose dogs I saw looked fit and well and had groomed glossy coats, but I think I had strayed into an upper-class part of Ozankoy and even if the dogs were allowed to wander alone, they were plainly cared for.

Yorkie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 59 in Discussion

Post by Yorkie »

Totally agree with Ragged Robin. However, I believe that although humans show no symptoms of distemper they can be carriers and pass the disease on to other animals not just dogs so take care when approaching any suspected animal.

ifonly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 59 in Discussion

Post by ifonly »

Ragged Robin - i can't see where KAR advise people to notify the authorities if they see "an apparently affected dog on the streets" - where did you see that ?

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 59 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

ifonly wrote:Ragged Robin - i can't see where KAR advise people to notify the authorities if they see "an apparently affected dog on the streets" - where did you see that ?
The advice was actually given in message 6 by Sophie. I am under the impression that Sophie is a member of KAR. Forgive me Sophie if I got that wrong or if you were not speaking officially.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 59 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Yorkie wrote:Totally agree with Ragged Robin. However, I believe that although humans show no symptoms of distemper they can be carriers and pass the disease on to other animals not just dogs so take care when approaching any suspected animal.
Good point. Also if humans do get symptoms they can be easily mistaken for flu . My dogs are not allowed out of the garden unaccompanied, and there are two gates to hopefully prevent accidental "escapes" , but despite the fact that they are vaccinated I will be stepping up security and am wondering whether to take them out at all. They do like to greet friendly dogs they meet on our travels, and their way of sayiing hello is to sniff noses (if not worse!) which is asking for trouble with distemper.

I do hope that someone will keep us up to date on progress (or otherwise), I know KAR are busy at the moment but a lot of use are caring for one or more strays and we need information... KAR are the people will access and apparently good relations with the relative authorities.
"

ifonly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 59 in Discussion

Post by ifonly »

Hi everyone - i am copying this from the KAR FaceBook page ;

Firstly can we just say a MASSIVE Thank you for your understanding, support and fantastic donations - it is quite humbling to see so many people offering help in whatever way they can - THANK YOU each and everyone of you.It means such a lot to us to know that we are not tackling this awful outbreak alone.
We will be putting out a full update a little later but for now the only way we can describe the situation at the centre is that it is still critical.
Quite a few people have rung or contacted our office with specific worries and we have been answering those with them as best we can. But we feel that we should look at the concerns of a couple of particular worries ;
The KAR Office and shops are NOT infected - the risk is with the dogs at the Rescue Centre. Please don't stay away from our shops - we need the shops to remain open and for people to continue shopping in them - they are a huge proportion of our regular income and we so desperately need that now more than ever.
The vehicle used for KAR Pet Travel - it is NOT the Centre vehicle that is used for Pet Travel. The vehicle that we use, for Pet Travel. is regularly valeted inside and out - it is disinfected and ALL animals that are carried in it are carried in separate boxes. KAR Pet Travel pets have NO physical direct contact with the inside or outside of the vehicle.
It is very difficult for the CDV (Distemper) to live in the environment for very long - it is usually spread by direct body fluid (nose.cough droplets, urine, faeces etc) - as can be seen from the following extracts ;

"One of the few positive aspects of distemper is that the virus cannot live without fresh secretions; it is inactivated in minutes outside the living host’s body. Minimal disinfection is necessary.http://www.marvistavet.com"

"A little about the virus itself: It consists of a single strand of RNA, encased in a protein coat which is again encased in a fatty envelope. The fatty envelope is easily disrupted in the environment which makes it impossible for the infectious virus to persist outside the host body for long. Because an intact fatty envelope is required for infection, virus transmission must involve dog to dog contact with fresh infected bodily secretions. https://www.quora.com"

"The distemper virus is not very durable in the environment surviving only a few hours at room temperature. Sunlight, desiccation (drying out), and common disinfectants are effective at neutralizing it. https://vet.osu.edu"

We are doing, and will continue to do, all that we can to contain this awful outbreak of Distemper.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 59 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

I'm pleased KAR are getting the support they deserve.

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 59 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

I am really sorry to be asking this but having read the above information how come the original source of the outbreak i.e. An infected puppy/puppies that were put straight into quarantine managed to infect every compound in KAR?
It appears that maybe the 'quarantine' is not as it should be.
Before I get shot down in flames I would add that I am a long term supporter of KAR & have made a donation to the current appeal.

frogandtoad
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 59 in Discussion

Post by frogandtoad »

Try this link to know more about this dreadful viral disease. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_distemper

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 59 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

frogandtoads link is one of the best and most understandable description of any I have read and answers a lot of questions for worried dog and cat owners.

sally4670
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 59 in Discussion

Post by sally4670 »

Oazankoys - i had a dog a few years ago now who died of this disease - in UK - and it is horrible. My dog was homed off of a friend of a friend and was quite sickly from when we first got him. Our vet told us even then that it was difficult to know it is distemper because so many symptoms are the same as other sicknesses - our dog was treated for kennel cough for a few weeks first (later we realised that was the distemper) - so i think the original information post said that the first puppies were not known to have distemper as it is not usually looked for here and they were treated for something else.
Short of keeping them in a totally air tight sealed room i do not know how the coughing (which is how it can be spread on nose droplets etc) etc could have done anything else but spread it - in the air. And then onto the next and the next.
I just pray that KAR manage to save many of thier dogs and i hope they are not going to get the blame for starting this or passing it on - but they usually get the blame for something don't they.
It is good to see that people are helping them though and on here are not being nasty during a nasty time for KAR and thier dogs.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 59 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Sally4670m you are so right and I'm sure KAR personnel appreciate what you have said. Some illnesses, be they human or animal are so difficult to diagnose, particularly if it is a disease that is uncommon to the area/country in question. It amazes me that having read all the aforementioned, there are still people willing to apportion blame, particularly pointing a finger in the totally wrong direction.

KAR
Verified Charity
Verified Charity

•   Message 31 of 59 in Discussion

Post by KAR »

KAR Epidemic – update April 11th 2018.
Again our heart felt thanks for the donations that are coming in – it is amazing how many wonderful people have donated money, sent messages and offered to come along and physically help us up at the Rescue Centre (even willing to fly over from the UK to help). THANK YOU
What can we say about KAR staff and volunteers !!!!! Their determination and hard work has been above and beyond the call of duty – they have worked tirelessly alongside vets – day in and day out often working on their days off – their commitment to KAR is fantastic.. THANK YOU
As you know last Friday (6th) we had already lost 80 dogs to this dreadful disease. On Friday an emergency team went to KAR and began to administer vaccinations.
IMG_2925.jpg
IMG_2925.jpg (40.45 KiB) Viewed 9226 times
Dogs that were already showing symptoms could not be vaccinated (as the vaccine can lower further their immune system and can add to the seriousness of the disease) but the symptomatic dogs were put onto intensive treatment for their symptoms. They were cannulated and intravenous fluids and medicines were given – for at least 3 days.
good.jpg
good.jpg (12.85 KiB) Viewed 9226 times
IMG_2946.jpg
Between Friday and today (April 11th) we have lost a further 15 dogs and currently have 65 dogs on the intensive treatment after showing symptoms.
However bad it may sound we are remaining positive - we have to so that we can help the remaining dogs.
Of the dogs who began their 3 days intensive treatment on Friday 6th– some have survived and are greatly improved. It is hoped that they can begin an antibiotic programme on Saturday 14th.
Although we have 65 on 3 day intensive treatment – they are very sick but the number of fatalities seems to be reducing.
Each day sees changes to the situation at the Rescue Centre and the dogs are certainly still at high risk – but we will continue to do everything that we can to help reduce the deaths, reduce their pain and symptoms and also to contain the spread of this really nasty disease Distemper.
We are still in Lock Down and are a long long way from the finish line but at last we can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Further updates on the situation and the fantastic donations will be published as soon as we can.

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 59 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Thank you for this very encouraging update - let's all hope that the corner has been turned in combating this dreadful outbreak

Honey
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 59 in Discussion

Post by Honey »

What is happening at the KAR rescue center is truly upsetting. My own dog came from KAR and I have supported/fundraised for them.

I am sure that I am missing something but I don't understand. If all of the adult dogs, in the 'main' compounds were up to date with their vaccinations, and the annual vaccination routinely covers the dogs for canine distemper (i have checked my dogs records and that appears to be the case), how has this disease spread beyond the quarantine or puppy compound so rapidly?
Is the vaccine given to our dogs annually completely ineffective?

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 59 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Very good question Honey. I had assumed that KAR did not innoculate against distemper,. possibly to save money, but I think you are now saying they do. There is some confusion on the internet as to how often the injections for distemper need to be repeated . A lot of dogs at KAR may not have been there for long enough to have had had more than one or two. Also maybe not being injected as a puppy may be a problem - I am now worried as I got two of mine as adult dogs and started their injections as adults.

I assume - hope - when all this is over, KAR will be carrying out an investigation as to how the infection spread , For all our sakes and our dogs,and not being afraid of criticism because,with respect, they are only hard worked amateurs they must advise dog owners.

There is also the question of how the infection spread from a quarantine area.

Maybe the whole concept of keeping so many dogs in one area should be reconsidered.

Has anyone heard of outbreaks elsewhere because on the face of it , the infection must have come from dogs in the Community?

One thing for dog owners to bear in mind is that a lot of the dogs reach KAR in very poor condition, and vulnerable. Hopefully well fed, excercised and cared for dogs will have more resistance, and meanwhile avoid risk of infection by not allowing your dogs to roam, and encourage friends and neighbours to do likewise.

CiNF
Verified Charity
Verified Charity

•   Message 35 of 59 in Discussion

Post by CiNF »

Blakes Lounge Bar and Bistro are holding an Alternative Quiz tomorrow night, all welcome, teams of 4 wanted, we have 34 people to date but could do with another 3 - 4 teams of 4, please come and support this worthy cause
Attachments
Kar Distemper quiz.jpg

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 59 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

For anyone who is waiting for news on this horrible virus, but does not take Cyprus Today, there is a report in last Saturday's issue.

The head of the Veterinary Department has announced that the Iskele Municipality Pound was also is in lockdown, 100, dogs having died with five more in a critical condition. I am glad to note that they have alerted all Municipalities. There has also been a report, unconfirmed, of suspected cases in Lefkosa. .

Mr Benal is also quoted as saying: "Such diseases are more of a risk in..........,places such as shelters where diseases can easily spread. There is still a risk for pets, but the risk is their being infected is very low as they live in a more hygenic environment and have their routine injections".

It is nice for me to see this confirmation of the feeling I expressed in my last post. I hope it will lead to all concerned to rethinking homing of strays and giving more support to individual owners and small caring facilities.

Mr Benal also stresed the need to vaccinate any dogs not already done, and to take any suspected cases straight to a Vet.

The report ends: "Meanwhile Animal Party Leader Kyriaco s Kyriacou was reported as saying that there had been no cases of canine distemper in South Cyprus" !!!!!

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 59 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

The article is here...(hopefully....
If not, go to http://library.pressdisplay.com, enter 800147197 in the library/barcode number, select Cyprus and Cyprus Today...

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 38 of 59 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

jofra wrote:The article is here...(hopefully....
If not, go to http://library.pressdisplay.com, enter 800147197 in the library/barcode number, select Cyprus and Cyprus Today...
We need your username and password!

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 59 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

I haven't got a username or password; "...enter 800147197 in the library/barcode number...."

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 40 of 59 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Ah! The internet had chosen that instant to play up, ( I thought that it was 'cos it was asking for p/w etc. ) I'm using my 'phone now and can access the site ok. Thanks

Honey
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 59 in Discussion

Post by Honey »

Thank you ragged robin! However no-one has answered my simple questions!

1. Were the dogs in the 'main' compounds at KAR up to date with their vaccinations?

2. If so, given that the commonly administered vaccines for distemper are regarded as highly effective, does that mean that the vaccines administered in TRNC are ineffective?

Someone MUST know the answers to these questions and if they don't, they should WANT to know in order to avoid anything like this happening again!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 42 of 59 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Honey wrote:Thank you ragged robin! However no-one has answered my simple questions!

1. Were the dogs in the 'main' compounds at KAR up to date with their vaccinations?

2. If so, given that the commonly administered vaccines for distemper are regarded as highly effective, does that mean that the vaccines administered in TRNC are ineffective?

Someone MUST know the answers to these questions and if they don't, they should WANT to know in order to avoid anything like this happening again!
I suggest that you email or ring KAR as they are the only ones who can answer your questions - I certainly can't

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 43 of 59 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Keithcaley wrote:
Honey wrote:Thank you ragged robin! However no-one has answered my simple questions!

I suggest that you email or ring KAR as they are the only ones who can answer your questions - I certainly can't
How sensible.

KAR
Verified Charity
Verified Charity

•   Message 44 of 59 in Discussion

Post by KAR »

Update on monies donated

What a fantastic response to our appeal for help. So many kind people have dug deep into their pockets, piggy banks, loose change bottles etc to help us during what has (and still is) a very difficult time.So far we have received ;
£1259 from the GoFundMe site - with another £1200 (less commission) pledged.
In excess of £2000 has come in in £, TL, Euro and $ - either into one of our accounts or in person.
We are really really thank full - we do not yet know how much we have spent until all of the vet and medicine bills begin to come in - but the donated monies will help us towards paying them. Please if you can donate we still need funds - our medicine/vet costs for this outbreak will continue for some time. We are still having dogs who are showing symptoms on a daily basis, and they need intensive treatment, but thankfully the fatality rate is lessening. However each day is different but lets all hope that we are turning the corner now. THANK YOU to every single person who has helped - it is an incredible amount to have raised for our dogs. You have each helped save a life.

In reply (even though this forum should not be used for Q & A ) to the remarks/questions about KAR vaccinations.
The dogs that we have sadly lost to Distemper have predominantly been dogs that ;
a) had a compromised immune system and so could not be vaccinated. Such a compromised system could be down to one of several reasons - Leish, Lymes, Anaplasma etc and so could not receive vaccinations ;
b) puppies who may have had the vaccination but due to their immune system being low (which many are un- beknown to us) it brought out the illness in them;
c) puppies who had been vaccinated but the vaccine had not had time to fully protect them;
d) our older residents who, it is thought, had underlying health issues exacerbated by the virus - so they died as a result of the virus but not of the virus itself.
e) some dogs had been vaccinated but still caught Distemper - we cannot afford post mortems (along with everything else) but the indicators are that they too had underlying illnesses which could have meant that the vaccine was not fully effective for them.
As far as we are aware there is nothing wrong with the vaccines given here in the TRNC - they offer protection for the majority of dogs most of the time. Sadly, because Distemper is so rare here, it was some time (understandably) before the connection with our dogs illnesses/some deaths and distemper was linked.
Healthy, vaccinated dogs living in a stress free environment with a good diet are very lucky in that they are not usually the ones that sicknesses, like distemper, attack.
Even rescue centers even in the UK can be affected badly by this virus - please see https://www.lastchanceanimalrescue.co.uk/news/index.php.

If you have any questions please email our office on [email protected] or call 0533 8694098 - however please be patient - we are currently stretched to the limit and may not be able to respond with answers immediately.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 45 of 59 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Cyprus Today reports a further outbreak in Lefkosha , at a pound run by the Society for Protection of Animals. There seems to be an argument for how many and the Veterinary Dept. are cross with them for not reporting it earlier. They also state that the Government should institute regular insections of pounds -so some good may come out of this horrible situation.

Mrs Ray reports that there have been no further deaths but a number of dogs are still being treated with varying degrees of illness.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 46 of 59 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Again my info on this issue comes from "Cyprus Today". I have checked the KAR website but can find nothing up to date.

CT reports that a Veterinary Dept. spokesman said that the disease is "now under control" but emphasised t he importance of vaccination. KAR's Kim Betts was more realistic and suggested that the fact deaths had "petered out" did not mean it was the end of the epidemic.

It seems to me that there are a lot of questions that need answering. The first is how did the disease get here in the first place. Is anyone able to confirm that it has not appeared in the South , in which case it must have come via Turkey. Is there a need for regulation for importing animals to be tightened?

Why have cases only been reported in pounds. Are there still lots of strays around carrying the disease? Is the fact that the reports were in different areas significant. The fact that one was KAR, one Municipality and one private suggests that level of care was not a factor, nor was it an attack on one in particular. However how the disease spread from a quarantine area to the rest of the dogs needs to be addressed by KAR.

There has been a lot of support for KAR. However if we are to enable strays to be properly housed we need to fi nd ways of giving support to individuals who take on strays and those heros who support number of dogs out of their own funds and often go without themselves.

If this tragic incident proves anything it is that large scale, long term
kennels is NOT the answer to strays and imho KAR should concentrate more on making it possible to place more healthy dogs with good homes, and restrict kenneling to dogs needing special care. At the moment people who would be willing and able to take on strays as pets are prevented by the excessive costs of government requirements and particularly Vets fees.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 47 of 59 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

No one really wants large long term kennels as a solution to the excess dog and cat population . However with over 350 dogs and new arrivals each week the solution is never simple.

Education has to be the way forward and encouraging responsible ownership to stop the animals reproducing is the only real solution. KAR are constantly working to educate but this inevitably a long term project. To find homes for the dogs is not straightforward. Some of the dogs are not healthy enough or have behavioural issues. Other dogs are institutionalised and could not adapt outside of the kennel environment. Also when people look at the dogs, puppies are popular and some breeds are also in greater demand. Therefore some dogs would remain in kennels destined to be lifers, but they are safe.. So then we have the dogs who are suitable for rehoming.....from these I am not convinced KAR funds can run to supporting people who take on a dog. So what sort of support are KAR expected to provide? When someone takes on a dog they must understand all that goes with it which will include the basics of food, water, training, walks plus the inevitable vets bills which will follow. Again it’s about understanding and education.

With new arrivals every week it’s difficult to see the numbers in kennels reducing. Those are the facts and whilst we would all like to see the dogs adopted and find new homes realistically that isn’t going to happen.

Having volunteered at KAR we understand the daily pressure they are under and every day is a struggle. Solutions which may appear simple are often not that easy to implement. The dogs who do end up at the kennels are fed, watered, looked after and are safe. Whilst it is not ideal, rescuing the dogs and giving them shelter has to be applauded as the alternative is leaving them to there fate.

There is no simple solution but KAR continue to try and do there very best. In my opinion EDUCATION has to be the way forward but the acceptance has to be that this will take time.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 48 of 59 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Ragged Robin wrote:...how did the disease get here in the first place. Is anyone able to confirm that it has not appeared in the South , in which case it must have come via Turkey...
Not so, according to a report in the South's 'Cyprus Mail' which states: -
Pancyprian veterinary association said on Friday (April 13th)...The disease is endemic in Cyprus, as it is in the rest of Europe...

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 49 of 59 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Thanks Keith, I had not seen that. But it is rather a typical Greek reaction, surely. Nobody has suggested there is a risk t[ human health (just that humans can be carriers) . And if the disease is endemic to Europe where have there not been more outbreaks elsewhere? And why have there been no reports of outbreaks among the North Cyprus stray population. Or have we just not heard about them.

This again raises the question of whether dogs in KAR are being routinely vaccinated against distemper? I am not criticising, just asking for info. We also need to sort out whether the vaccines used here are effective.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 50 of 59 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

PoshinDevon wrote:No one really wants large long term kennels as a solution to the excess dog and cat population . However with over 350 dogs and new arrivals each week the solution is never simple.

Education has to be the way forward and encouraging responsible ownership to stop the animals reproducing is the only real solution. KAR are constantly working to educate but this inevitably a long term project. To find homes for the dogs is not straightforward. Some of the dogs are not healthy enough or have behavioural issues. Other dogs are institutionalised and could not adapt outside of the kennel environment. Also when people look at the dogs, puppies are popular and some breeds are also in greater demand. Therefore some dogs would remain in kennels destined to be lifers, but they are safe.. So then we have the dogs who are suitable for rehoming.....from these I am not convinced KAR funds can run to supporting people who take on a dog. So what sort of support are KAR expected to provide? When someone takes on a dog they must understand all that goes with it which will include the basics of food, water, training, walks plus the inevitable vets bills which will follow. Again it’s about understanding and education.

With new arrivals every week it’s difficult to see the numbers in kennels reducing. Those are the facts and whilst we would all like to see the dogs adopted and find new homes realistically that isn’t going to happen.

I regret to

Having volunteered at KAR we understand the daily pressure they are under and every day is a struggle. Solutions which may appear simple are often not that easy to implement. The dogs who do end up at the kennels are fed, watered, looked after and are safe. Whilst it is not ideal, rescuing the dogs and giving them shelter has to be applauded as the alternative is leaving them to there fate.

There is no simple solution but KAR continue to try and do there very best. In my opinion EDUCATION has to be the way forward but the acceptance has to be that this will take time.
###

I regret that yet again you have failed to read my post properly and missed the point. I am not saying that there will never be some dogs that cannot be rehomed : but one of my dogs came from a pound (not KAR) and she turned into the most beautiful loving and healthy (touch wood)animal and an ideal companion for a lonely person. I believe there are many more like her, if only there was the will to help home them. What is needed is a rethink of priorities by KAR and their supporters. They are not the only ones who suffer toel hp animals and they could use their resources to influence Government and Vets into seeing that so many animal carers, who do not have their support and public admiration, get a fair share. I agree that education is a vital part but you overlook the number of individuals who are already responsibly caring for animals, not to mention those who run small private "pounds" for multiple animals at their own expense. Neutering is also a way forward, but you and KAR forget that every private owner who neuters an animal - often at the cost of necessiites for themselves - saves KAR from having to home dozens of puppies.

Giving more animals, particularly dogs who need human companionship , into responsible private ownership will not be easy and will take time and dedication but it would be well worthwhile

However I am going to go into more detail of this on a new thread when hopefully my own problems are settled, and I have more time.
You could help please , Posh , because (as sometimes happens) it will need to appear under two categories. I s there any way of doing this

Return to “PETS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”