Dogs , Dogs, dogs ..........training and image.

All you need to know about looking after your pets in North Cyprus. Find out about vet services, how and where to register your dog....and much more.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Dogs , Dogs, dogs ..........training and image.

•   Message 1 of 2 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

I have often been disturbed, here and elsewhere, by the critical and patronizing attitude people take to Cypiots about animals. It is true that they have a different culture with regard to animals and traditonally do not treat them as pets (though this is changing) but it is not for guests in the country to carp andcritisise - unless possibly there is actual cruelty (as opposed to neglect) or danger, when tact should be used.

I know one Cypriot who is the nearest thing I have met to a "Horse Whisperer" with many animals and others who are really kind (though they dont like being seen as sentimental) and I have known Brits who set a very bad example. I am particularly concerned about the number of Brits who import and buy large, ferocious looking animals because they see them as a status symbol or , incorrectly since they are usually not in charge of the animal, it gives them power. At the risk of being patronising myself some Cypriots see this as "modern" and "western" and copy them.

I have also seen far too many people both Brits andCypriots, who have adoopted animals out of kindness and are now struggling because either they didnt realise how much it costs and time it involves and/or they have no idea how to train and simply cant afford the time or money to get to lessons.

A couple of threads running here reminded me of an incident when I hear sounds of British voices instructing and encouraging dogs - and on investigating found my hunting mad neighbours watching a DVD of how gun dogs are trained in Scotland. How much they understood and whether they followed advice re kennelling and excercise I dont know but at least it showed willingness to learn!

Continued to avoid being cut off for lack of space

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Dogs , Dogs, dogs ..........training and image.

•   Message 2 of 2 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

continued...................

This got me thinking about the Barbara Woodhouse programmes on TV and how much good influence they had. Could not something like that be done here - in both languages.

And perhaps the press and forums could include a Pet's Corner , with an advisory Vet (good publicity for him/her) and people swopping tips on how to deal with problems.

I have often felt it a shame the KAR show does not include a display by trained police dogs as they do in the UK, but I dont know if there are any here. and I suppose quarantine would prevent visiting dogs.

But with all the wasted talent isnt there someone out there who was involved in dogs training (Police, Guide Dogs, Sheep dogs, Gun Dogs etc.) who could give a talk on the subject, particularly with DVDs?

And, please, please, lets stress that it is unnecessary to import impressive pedigree dogs - there are plenty here that have the potential to grow into beautiful animals and great companions - literally going begging!

Return to “PETS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”