More bad news about dangerous dogs - but in U.k.

All you need to know about looking after your pets in North Cyprus. Find out about vet services, how and where to register your dog....and much more.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

More bad news about dangerous dogs - but in U.k.

•   Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/wher ... wimbledon/

tAKE A READ OF THIS AND SEE HOW THE PROBLEM OF LARGE AND DANGEROUS DOGS IS NOT CONFINED TO HERE. the reason I am posting this is because it shows how easily bad things can happen. This lady may have died of a heart attack, and that is what could have happened to the man with the dog on a lead in WotnoDeeds warning thread of Rottweillers in the Bellapais area.
The reason I am posting this is to urge everyone to think what they can do in their own ciommunity. We know that the police react differently here, but that does not mean that they are not interested. So, let's all think what we can do. O.K. not a lot - but we can ask our Muhtars to talk to the local authority to talk tothe government. We can report eachincident and piece of evidence to the police, and of course hope that someone in the community will talk to irresponsible dog owners to accept just how things can be when dogs become a pack or frustrated with being cooped up, or.....
I am sure the residents of Wimbledon were horrified at this event, far more than we because that is U.K. But the concern is the same, isn't it.

And yes, I do know that as guests here many people feel they cannot shout out against wrongs. I agree, but we can whisper our concerns!
Maid Marion of Malatya
'Plan as if you will live for ever, but live each day as if it is your last.'

annanirvanna
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: More bad news about dangerous dogs - but in U.k.

•   Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

Post by annanirvanna »

Hi Marion. How about people reporting centrally onto a thread on Kibkom. A log of date, time, location and brief description of any incident or concerns regarding pack dogs acting aggressively. From that log you may be able to build up a map of hotspot areas or particular dog/s &/or their owners. With this log that would hopefully help the police or other local bodies target the specific area or dog/owners.

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

Marions- I read this in another article online.
I really don't believe for one minute(and I am a dog lover) that there is such a thing as a 'safe' dog.
Those dogs were obviously known to the woman as they belonged to her daughter-so she felt safe,not so with tragic results.

I can only start to imagine to how the daughter is feeling right now-that her trusted family pets have murdered her own mother.

Dogs, despite how domesticated they become are potentially wild animals,they are very 'pack leader' orientated
-and will respond adversely to anyone that they perceive to be not a 'pack' member.

I know there are others on this forum that understand the 'Psyche' of dogs better than most-Rose springs to mind.

Dominant 'Alpha male' dogs will always challenge authority-and if you own a few dogs, they will develop into a mini pack-along with the ensuing rules of hierarchy that exist in the dog world.

TIN HAT TIME!
I have read articles,and seen first hand that larger breeds of dogs respond better to male owners than female owners.
And there are more than a few documented instances of large dogs that are owned by female owners(usually obtained for personal protection purposes)have turned on either the owner or the owners siblings.

Dogs have a fantastic scene of smell and I think the reason for this is that they can smell testosterone and respond better to more forceful male owners that establish them as the dominant pack leader.
I stand to be corrected, but I have based what I have said here on personal observations and what I have read.
I just think that women and big powerful dogs are not a good mix .

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Philoz wrote:I just think that women and big powerful dogs are not a good mix .
A bit off topic, but I know some females who are more 'alpha male' than most males

http://youtu.be/OyU8qmzGsEg

annanirvanna
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

Post by annanirvanna »

Tee hee hee Erol

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

Thank for the compliment,Philoz (I think - you were't calling me a bitch were you?

When I take on a responsibiity (and dogs are one) I read around the subject, and find this one facinating. I tend to agree as a generality large male dogs may respond to men, but other factors , such as breed, come into play . My (neutered) male Spaniel is one of the most biddable , good natured and affectionate animals I have met, but the females (terrier and daschund) have a more indendent streak and seem determined to prove that the female of the species is more deadly than the male.

Personally I wouldnt keep a dog as protection - maybe I read too many thrillers - but I am only too well aware they are vulnerable (and the more threatening they are the more vulnerable) to poison, knives and guns. My dogs are excellent guards in that they not only warn, but if I am out of hearing come and tell me who is at the door (different responses for friends or strangers)but I see myself as guardian not guarded - maybe I truly am head dog!

The problem we have here, I suspect, is that dogs are being kept, not for protection, but deliberately for intimidation to bolster the egos of inadequate owners.

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

Rose-Not for one minute was I calling you a bitch.
In fact (being already under good behaviour orders from Soner)I re read my last post 300 times and can find no reference at all to calling you a bitch_I just thought I made an interesting and informative posts about dogs.
Anyway Rose -what are these thrillers you are on about-they sound interesting?

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

Rose- Don't get me started on spaniels,and I think the UK kennel club have a lot to answer for here.

I know there are lots of types of spaniels-but I am referring specifically to the archetypal cocker.

Allegedly they are bred in such a manner that,their skulls are narrow leading to them having the doggy equivalent of epileptic fits.
This can also lead the much loved family pooch to become very aggressive at very short notice.
Not much fun if you have kids in the house, who tend to naturally expect dogs to do things they don't want to do.

Like having Lego bricks shoved in their bottoms-Which in fairness would make me a little aggressive.

Ironically-I have neither Dogs nor Children, but I am sure you can understand from the tone of my posts the reason why.

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

Oh dear,so sorry Philoz, I meant it as a joke against myself - maybe a bit strangled - "understands dogs" therefore maybe a dog myself - and female therefore a bitch!

Not the first time my slightly warped sense of humour has got me into trouble!

Now you see why I need a smilie whistling - I did use the winking one but not so effective

Talk about the thrillers later - I really must get down to the "work" I came to the PC to do before I got diverted.

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

Just quickly before we both get told off for ykw. Know what you mean about Spaniels, I tried to adopt a homeless Springer but he was totally uncontrollable as far as I was concerned, and bullied the other male, though both neutered.]

Visitors who say they know because they breed them have told me that Sooty is a thoroughbred Cocker but he was abandoned so I suspect another breed (maybe Setter) and crosses are often preferably to purebreeds for pets.He is excitable but in a purely friendly way - a true extrovert.

PS Anyone taking bets on how long Philoz is here before he acquiries a rescue dog?

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

Thank you Rose
But no room for a dog(or a bitch) for that matter as I appear to have adopted the entire stray cat population of Ozankoy and am feeding them all daily-soft bugger that I am.
I am more of a cat person I guess,but have opinions about all animals.
Comes with being a Scorpio I think.

annanirvanna
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

Post by annanirvanna »

Philoz You old softie - Meeeaoww

Rose - love spaniels - had Springers and Cavalier King Charles when in UK (you brought back to me the happy memories of my beloved pooches) Very intelligent dogs woof woof

Return to “PETS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”