Ticks

All you need to know about looking after your pets in North Cyprus. Find out about vet services, how and where to register your dog....and much more.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Ticks

•   Message 1 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

I promised myself I would waste no more time on this forum, but this is for an animal.

A Cypriot resident of my street looks after a small stray dog. Not perhaps the way we would, but the dog has food and shelter and obviously people it loves which is so important to dogs - so it is better off than a stray or imprisoned in a pound (however well run). Every Spring it is obviously washed and trimmed. However my neighbour claim he cannot afford Vets and this year it is covered with ticks. He says there is an epidemic of ticks this year and he has asked the Muhtar to spray the area (?!?!), A member of his family has asked me to give them some of the drops I put on my (rescued) dogs. I am tempted but it would set a precedent and quite frankly I am already dipping into savings for my own medical care to pay vets charges for three dogs. And I think the dog has passed the stage where drops would help and it needs to be taken to a Vets - I have to rely on my gardener to help get my dogs to the Vet. I took my old dog (who has acquired a tick despite having been treated two weeks ago) and asked for advice. I came away having spent a week's housekeeping on new tablets supposed to be stronger than Fontline. I also have to face the cost of finding, buying and paying someone to wash the carport and other areas with Jayes Fluid.

(My garden has fences and walls to keep my dogs in ay dogs in and strays out but I have to leave the carport gates open when I am out - because the traffic does not allow me to get out of the car to open and close them!!!!!). and of course nothing stops cats which also suffer from parasites)

Is there noone prepared to offer assistance to those who care for stray animal and give them a home where they are cared about, but need a little practicaland/or financial help, and no-one prepared to tackle the problem that ever increasing Vets fees cause for those who acquired their adopted strays when costs were lower.

Is there nothing and nobody who can and will help people who care for strays but need a little practical and/or financial help?

Meanwhile I suggest anyone in Central Ozankoy in particular who keeps animals as pets, check them and their parasite medication, and also their homes and gardens!

artistabroad
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Ticks

•   Message 2 of 20 in Discussion

Post by artistabroad »

Fiproes Köpek is the Turkish equivalent of Frontline Plus. It has exactly the same ingredients. This morning I bought 3 extra large (40 - 60 kg) dog pipettes for 61 lira, so one small dog shouldn’t cost much. Frontline can take up to 48 hours to kill ticks so you may see a tick on your dog, doesn’t mean the frontline isn’t working. I have treated a local farm dog with Fiproes Köpek who had a very bad tick problem and after a few days they’d all gone, so surely worth a try before a vet visit. You (or your neighbour) can buy it from a chemist that sells animal medicines.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Thank you very much for that information Artist Abroad. If I can find a local chemist who stocks is, I will certainly try it when my existing expensive stocks run out,

Unfortunately you miss the point of my post. I , the dog in question, and my car are all elderly are partially disabled (the car has no air con), and I think you live the other side of Girne where I have been unable to access for several years,
The dog and I are both getting edgy in our old age and tend to snap if surprised or nervous - the difference being that the dog , despite being oldest in comparative years. has sharper teeth! Lacking a volunteer who knows and can handle dogs to help me with delicate operations such as removing ticks I have to take him to the vet , a difficult journey for me and expensive.

Similarly with the neighbour : it is wrong that I., or any other individual , should be put in a positon where it sets a precedent. We need an organisation which helps and, above all, educates ADULTS in circumstances such as these, as well as people like the lady in the other post. Anyway, to my shame, my Turkish really is not good enough to cope with this situation.

I am also concerned about the rising cost of Vets fees, and the fact that every time I visit one they try to sell me some
expensive food or doggy item. An organisation (even a quasi one) would have the authority and ideally the numbers to help with this.

I know that Posh would say that Ishould not keep dogs if I cant manage them. But I had the old one fifteen years ago when I was fit. What am I supposed to do with him now. And you should see the latest dog who literally dances for joy at being rescued from a pound where she was bullied and badly injured by larger dogs.

Oh well, I can continue to dream

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

RR.

The immediate issue, as I understand it, is a tick infestation of your neighbour's dog.

Write the name of the medication suggested "Fiproes Köpek" and the word "Eczane" on a piece of paper, and hand it to the neighbour.

You don't need to solve every issue revolving around infirm. elderly. impoverished dog owners and the lack of TRNC adult education in animal care, OR the rising cost of dog food in order to sort the neighbour's dog out.

Don't make it any more complicated or difficult than it is!

artistabroad
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 20 in Discussion

Post by artistabroad »

Ragged Robin, I did not miss the point of your post, I was trying to help with the one issue I felt able to. I am sorry you are infirm, but you can still help this little dog. I was recently widowed and left with six dogs, five cats (all rescued), and no money! However although I was not able to give the farm dog I treated the home I would love for him, I was able to make his life a little more comfortable and you can do the same for this little dog. As for expecting an organisation to be set up I don’t think it’s likely to happen any day soon so we all have to do whatever we can, however small.

Cally
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Cally »

There are 2 TRNC registered animal charities, have you approached them for help.
KAR & Hope4Pets

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Keith I have been trying for ages to get some support for elderly, infirm and/or impoverished people and their dogs. It is well known that dogs are brilliant for the lonely and several disabililties and it would also help the stray probem, but I am tilting at windmills. I mentioned the neighbour's problem as an illustration of the problems - I am sorry now I did as there are other issues that I would certainly not wish to raise on this forum.

I also believe that the issue of the rising cost of Vet's treatment needs addressing for all our sakes but particularly for the dogs who cannot be homed because the the expense.

I also raised the issue to warn people in the area to be particularly careful about ticks.

Caly KAR do NOT help in situations such as mine or my neighbour's and make that very, very clear. I do not think HopeforPets do either, though they may help with rehoming and I suggested it to the lady trying to rehome a Cyprus terrier. What is really needed is a separate organisation with different priorities from KAR ,, although it may be in tandem with Hope fo r Pets. But it is obvious this is no the place for Windmill Tilting.

My thanks again to Artist Abroad for his advice. End of thread please I dont have time or health to get into another KIbcom argument

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 8 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

RR,

I am sorry that none of the responses so far appear to provide satisfactory answers to the issues that concern you.

We, each of us, fight a daily battle - albeit at a lowly level - trying to improve our lot, and the lot of our animals, and that of the animals which cross our paths, but we can only fight one battle at a time, and only then, those which are within our means...

We live in what was, until recently, a Third World Country - at least in relation to awareness of Animal Rights - things have changed slightly for the better, but they are not going to change significantly while many of the Human population are eking a living on subsistence level wages - their focus, and presumably that of the Government also, is to improve their own standard of living... Animals barely get a look-in, and Ex-Pats, no matter what their individual circumstances are, are generally far better off financially than the poorer locals, so will not tend to attract a great deal of sympathy from 'above'.

The fact that you may choose to spend what little you have on animal welfare is probably a source of puzzlement to those struggling to feed a family.

Pick battles that you can win!

If you have never read "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency", I can recommend it for its concept of "The Interconnectedness of All Things" which I am sure will appeal to you

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

A Turkish speaking Cypriot friend (one of those who comes to my rescue when others do not care ) is going to get one of the Turkish parasite medication suggested by Artist Abroad and give it to my neighbour on the strict understanding it is a one off and he gets his own next time.

As for Keith's suggestion, I am sorry but I have lived here for 20+ years and 3 in the South, and really do not need a lecture on conditions. Apart from the Vet's fees which are perhaps a separate issue , I was not suggesting an approach to the TRNC authorities but that the British Community (many of whom are as you say NOW are well off) look after its own unfortunates and help dogs at the same time. I do look after what is closest as far as dogs are concerned (in have adopted or fostered 8 dogs while I have been here, one died last year aged 20 and the oldest of the remaining three, a spaniel type, is 15. All have been spayed thus a public service to reduce the number of strays)
.................................... however if we all dealt with only what is under our noses the world would be an even sorrier and scarier place than it already is.

I shall continue to try to get more consideration for unfortunates, four or two legged, but I realise this forum is the wrong place and should be grateful if my request to leave me in peace as far as this post is concerned be respected.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 10 of 20 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Ragged Robin wrote:Thank you very much for that information Artist Abroad. If I can find a local chemist who stocks is, I will certainly try it when my existing expensive stocks run out,

Unfortunately you miss the point of my post. I , the dog in question, and my car are all elderly are partially disabled (the car has no air con), and I think you live the other side of Girne where I have been unable to access for several years,
The dog and I are both getting edgy in our old age and tend to snap if surprised or nervous - the difference being that the dog , despite being oldest in comparative years. has sharper teeth! Lacking a volunteer who knows and can handle dogs to help me with delicate operations such as removing ticks I have to take him to the vet , a difficult journey for me and expensive.

Similarly with the neighbour : it is wrong that I., or any other individual , should be put in a positon where it sets a precedent. We need an organisation which helps and, above all, educates ADULTS in circumstances such as these, as well as people like the lady in the other post. Anyway, to my shame, my Turkish really is not good enough to cope with this situation.

I am also concerned about the rising cost of Vets fees, and the fact that every time I visit one they try to sell me some
expensive food or doggy item. An organisation (even a quasi one) would have the authority and ideally the numbers to help with this.

I know that Posh would say that Ishould not keep dogs if I cant manage them. But I had the old one fifteen years ago when I was fit. What am I supposed to do with him now. And you should see the latest dog who literally dances for joy at being rescued from a pound where she was bullied and badly injured by larger dogs.

Oh well, I can continue to dream
Please do not misquote me as it is really tiresome and something that you have a habit of doing as others have pointed out in the past. You ask to be left in peace, which is a perfectly reasonable request. However; as I am sure you can appreciate constant digs at members and also the forum as a whole is not conducive to getting the peace you desire.

I did not say you should not keep a dog if you cannot manage them. I have said that before taking on any animal everyone should consider carefully their particular circumstances, whether they can exercise, feed, train, afford vet fees - especially as both they and the animal gets older and provide all the attention that any animal requires. Taking on any animal is a commitment for life and therein lies the problem, some do not think things thro and/or are not committed. I am talking from personal experience after having a variety of animals such as rabbits, gerbils, tropical fish, dogs (both rescues and pedigrees) ponies, donkeys (rescues) and horses for to many years than I care to remember. There are many on this forum who have rescued, adopted or looked after many dogs and cats, KAR and other such organisations also go above and beyond to provide a safe haven for the poor creatures. They provide a safe place for them, food and medication plus lots of love and they deserve support and recognition for there efforts. In addition they spend time visiting schools and organisations offering advice and educating people on what it means to own a dog or cat. Have you approached either of these organisations to enquire whether they can offer help in this instance?

Then of course there are those that have absolutely no interest in animals whatsoever, such is life.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Posh I do not "misquote" you , I simply summarised for the sake of brevity what you said (expressed as fact NOT opinion) on several other posts and I am getting mightily fed up with it. No one can foresee the future and not to help those who suffer misfortune andtheir animal is in my opinion and - to try to put it politely rather than what I want to say -not very nice.

Nor do I "get at" people ,I simply express my views on subects which unfortunately may not be the same as yours .

My view on this subject is that caring people would try to organise things so that the elderly,disabled and particularly the lonely would have assistance in adopting a suitable animal and help should be given when they could not continue and that paying a little over the usual for an evening out in order to keep animals in cages is not true charity nor the way to solve the stray animal problem.... Rehoming animals with people who need them would take a long time to come to fruition, but anything worth while usually does. orKAR type kennels would still be needed for "difficult" dogs or those with medical problems but there would bemore healthy happy dogs living with people.

Meanwhile with the help of true friends I hope I have dealt with the immediate problemof the neighbours dog - it is of course only a " sticking plaster" remedy and the problem will continue. Meanwhile I am really distressed by the problem of the Cyprus terrier who needs a third home and no one is bothered )or it seems only one

If you read my post you will see I already explained to Keith re the existing organisations.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 12 of 20 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

RR

For the sake of brevity and as you have said you wish to live in peace, my reply will be short.

I maintain you do misquote, as others besides have pointed out in the past. You have also not been particularly complimentary about this forum and have threatened to leave many times plus it is clear you are not happy with certain organisations and individuals, whether intentional or not. This tends to not go down well and does not help you live in peace. I will make no further comment.

With regards to ticks and the help you want, a question which myself and others have asked but you have yet to respond - Have you contacted Hope 4 Pets or KAR or any other such organisation and enquired if they will offer assistance?

If not, why?
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

And there was I thinking this was a forum where free speech was allowed and one could express concerns about how organisations which had an adverse effect on one's lifestyle providing it avoid libel. Silly me.

An update for those who are interested. Unfortunately the local chemist does not stock Fipros Kopek and does not think it is availablein the Girne area. However he is making further enquiries. UnfortunatelyI am physically unable to do the roundsof all the chemists and am currently too busy with helping a sickfriend. It is however another demonstration of the need for true animal lovers to unite and help each other, at least to the extent of exchanging news of costs and new inovations.

END OF POSTl

artistabroad
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 20 in Discussion

Post by artistabroad »

I bought the Fiproes Köpek from Aydin pharmacy in Alsancak. I think there is a branch on the Bellapais Road just about opposite Starling. Any chemist that stocks animal medicines (they don’t all) should have it or at least be able to get it.

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 20 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

Google informs there is a Fiproes Kedi too.

http://www.teknovet.com.tr/urunler-ve-o ... eri_4.aspx
libens volens potens

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 16 of 20 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Ragged Robin wrote:And there was I thinking this was a forum where free speech was allowed and one could express concerns about how organisations which had an adverse effect on one's lifestyle providing it avoid libel. Silly me.

An update for those who are interested. Unfortunately the local chemist does not stock Fipros Kopek and does not think it is availablein the Girne area. However he is making further enquiries. UnfortunatelyI am physically unable to do the roundsof all the chemists and am currently too busy with helping a sickfriend. It is however another demonstration of the need for true animal lovers to unite and help each other, at least to the extent of exchanging news of costs and new inovations.

END OF POSTl
But you haven’t answered the question. Have you contacted KAR, Hope 4 Pets or any other such organisation and enquired if they could offer any help or advice? Or do you just prefer to make comments about them on this forum?

It appears that Fiproes Köpek is available at some chemists, maybe your local chemist could make arrangements to have some sent to them if you are unable to collect yourself.

It seems to me that when offered useful/helpful advice you are not willing to take it up.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

My local chemist managed to find Fibros Kopek, but by that time my neighbour had given up and bought the more expensive tablets so at least the dog is more comfortable now.

I have spoken to another "doggie" lady (London Turkish) who confirms that FK is as good as if not better than the English version. She also says it is available in Mr Pound - unfortunately due to my infirmity I am unable to get there but it may be useful for others.

There is another thread above about prices for expats (I am not going to post on it as I am fed up with spiteful replies) but I think Vets and chemists are among those who display expensive items on their shelves instead of the cheaper Turkish versions. Brits do ask for this behaviour as some tend to demand British makes!

This episode does really demonstrate the need for an organisation for mutual help by those who care for stray animals in their own homes. At the very least we could share the availability of cheaper versions of items.

For Posh : I explained in my first post why I broke my vow not to become involved in KIbcom in future.. I have also explained why I did not go to the other organisations: they have their own priorities but it does not help in situations like this Please do not accuse me of misquoting you when you continually fail to read mine.

Artist Abroad: since you were so helpful on this, do you know of a cheaper version of "parabond collars!? PLEASE.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 18 of 20 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

RR - For some reason you chose to bring up my name and misquote me in your post number 3, you have done this in the past which has been pointed out to you by others besides myself. I have no idea why you feel you have to do this when it has no relevance to your original post.

Secondly KAR do offer help and advice and also educate people on the responsibilities of keeping a dog or cat. You just chose to not even make contact in this instance. I believe it is because you are not keen on this organisation for whatever reason.

If you are asking for people to get together to exchange ideas, offer support etc the least you can do is to meet half way and take up the advice offered. You could then provide up to date information on the forum as to whether you had been successful or not, which would help others.

The good news is that it seems in the short term a solution has been found and I wish you well with trying to get something up and running to help should a similar situation arise in the future.

artistabroad
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 20 in Discussion

Post by artistabroad »

Paraband collars are marketed by the same company in the U.K. as Scalibor. However both versions are expensive. The only thing I can suggest is investigating ordering online from a Turkish veterinary supplies company if you have a Turkish speaking friend willing to help. According to my UK vet, the reason frontline equivalents are now available is the patent on frontline expired so cheaper versions are being marketed. In the fullness of time that may happen with Paraband/Scalibor, we can but hope. It is always worthwhile to find out if there’s a Turkish equivalent - unrelated to dogs but don’t ever buy Imodium here, try Lopermid, and if you use thyroxine as I do, buy Levotiron, not a UK brand!

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Thanks Artist Abroad for your helpful and practical information and advice. I totally agree regarding buying Turkish versions whenever possible : I do so with anything I can - even very simple things like Rennies have a Turkish verison which saves money, but (off topic ) some of my own medication is not available in the TRNC which creates serious problems.

With regard to buying on internet from a Turkish supplier , I think the problems and cost this would cause with postage etc would override the savings, but thanks for the suggestion.

Return to “PETS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”