Feline Distemper - WARNING

All you need to know about looking after your pets in North Cyprus. Find out about vet services, how and where to register your dog....and much more.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

KAR
Verified Charity
Verified Charity

Feline Distemper - WARNING

•   Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Post by KAR »

KAR are receiving, on a daily basis, reports of cats being diagnosed with Feline Panleukopenia virus (also referred to as FELINE DISTEMPER).
Many cats do not survive the illness and die a very painful death.. It is " is a highly contagious and life-threatening viral disease in the cat population"
" This panleukopenia virus affects the rapidly dividing blood cells in the body, primarily the cells in the intestinal tract, bone marrow and skin. The name means pan- (all) leuko- (white blood cells) -penia (lack of), meaning that all of the body’s defense cells are killed by the virus..............
Because the blood cells are under attack, this virus can lead to an anemic condition, and it can open the body to infections from other illnesses—viral or bacterial.
In the unvaccinated population, panleukopenia is one of the deadliest cat diseases"
Symptoms include (but are not exclusive) ;
Vomiting
Diarrhea/bloody diarrhea
Dehydration
Weight loss
High fever
Anemia (due to lowered red blood cells)
Rough hair coat
Depression
Complete loss of interest in food
Hiding
Neurological symptoms (e.g., lack of coordination)
The feline parvovirus (FPV) is the initiating cause for feline panleukopenia. Cats acquire this infection when they come into contact with infected blood, feces, urine or other bodily fluids. The virus can also be passed along by people who have not washed their hands appropriately or have not changed clothing between handling cats, or by materials such as bedding, food dishes or equipment that has been used for other cats.There are other contamination ways (maybe even via flea) - it is a very resistant virus.
There is a vaccination against this awful disease - so please please make sure your cats are protected.

If you suspect your cat or any cats in the community may be ill please contact your local vet - it is HIGHLY contagious and it is a KILLER.
KAR account is just for posting and not responding to queries. Contact our Office for information.

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Feline Distemper - WARNING

•   Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

After all the losses of dogs shouldn't this be on the top?

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

The poor cat population which does seem to be very large again, even though KAR neuter neuter and neuter, its a problem that never seems to go away.

I don't think you pass one bin with out a clowder of cats around it therefore this probably will spread fast and the sad part is in some streets there are healthy neutered feral cats which will all be at risk. Our street has about 12 that prowl, do not seem to cause a problem with noise etc as all neutered thanks to KAR but will be at risk to this deadly disease.

Doesn't it remind you of Mixi

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Can anyone give a guide of cost and is it a one off jab?

there is no way I would be able trap, take feral cats over a 3 week period!!

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

snd1966, I would suggest you make a few calls to a few Vets and find out their price structure and information. the web is a great source of information. Surely that is quicker than waiting for replies from people on a forum.

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

Just had ours done including a worming jab
Cost 100tl for both and a record card for cattery.

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

We very nearly lost a cat to this horrible disease last year but she was saved by the vets (thank you Garfields) and has since gone on to make a full recovery, touch wood with the loss of one of her lives. The first obvious symptoms were the " rough coat" and a loss of appetite followed by general listlessnes. If in doubt a trip to the vets asap might be in order as the disease progressed very quickly.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

sophie wrote:snd1966, I would suggest you make a few calls to a few Vets and find out their price structure and information. the web is a great source of information. Surely that is quicker than waiting for replies from people on a forum.
Yes I would for my own but with the strays its just a thought running through my mind 1200tl is too much so I will just keep my eye on them

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

I know its a lot of money, but it is the most awful way to die and highly contagious. Had to take my dog to Vets this morning and it was awash with cats and owners finally taking KARs warning seriously. It could turn out to be more serious than the Dog Distemper and that was frightening enough. Dogs are bigger and their symptoms are can be more obvious, but cats are "adventurous" and explore well away from their own territory. I don't envy anyone trying to contain cats in a safe environment.

Return to “PETS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”