Barking Dogs and couldn’t give a sh*t owners

All you need to know about looking after your pets in North Cyprus. Find out about vet services, how and where to register your dog....and much more.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Sallywebstersnipples
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Barking Dogs and couldn’t give a sh*t owners

•   Message 1 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Sallywebstersnipples »

We feel like we are living in Battersea dogs home not Catalkoy! The dogs opposite bark all day and all night, with out let up, it’s just continuous and sets off every other mutt around. I have spoken to the dog owners who says he can’t hear it and shrugs his shoulders. I have also spoken with the person who rents them the house, again just a shrug.

The dog owners went out early this morning and are still not home, can’t see if the dog has food and water as the drive gates are padlocked. It is making our life a misery, I never thought i’d say this but I can’t wait to fly back to England for a good nights sleep and get away from this Dog torture.

d1cxx
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Barking Dogs and couldn’t give a sh*t owners

•   Message 2 of 19 in Discussion

Post by d1cxx »

We too have a similar problem, in fact I started a post 2 months ago about it. It totally ruins any chance of relaxing, and agree it is torturous. The annoying thing is that many people here think it is acceptable, but then you discover that many of those have barking dogs of their own. Genuinely feel sorry for you, our last 3 visits to the TRNC have been hellish. I feel that we seem to be living more in a society that just doesn't give a damn about other people, and yet if asked, would say that they are kind, and thoughtful people, and will no doubt come up with some kind of reason, as to why there isn't anything wrong with constant barking dogs. I paraphrase Rabbie Burns, "God give us the gift to see us, as others see us." Good luck, I feel you are going to need it.

Sallywebstersnipples
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Sallywebstersnipples »

Owner arrived home about 9.15pm, dog went potty but has obviously now been let out of its cage and been fed. I’ll give it half an hour tops before it starts barking again and then all through the night, my neighbours moan to me about it but do sod all as they don’t like confrontation.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 19 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Drive us mad too... I think that the owners just don’t hear as they are either out or are used to it, there is nothing worse. But, I think you may be able to report it to the beledeyisi. Give it a go. I hear that in lapta they are clamping down.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 19 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

the municipality police in catalkoy will visit the owner of the dog, they have also clamped down on whether the dog is licenced etc,
When we had 3 dogs we had a visit from the actual police when our neighbour complained at 3am, fortunately not our dogs that time but we learnt our dogs when we were out were a pain in the arse to the neighbours due to the cat population thinking it was a great place to visit when we went out!

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

I'd put money on the dogs being un-chipped and unregistered... Report them as a public nuisance. I'll hold your coat.

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

Do you have any caustic soda & a sausage?

scaffman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 19 in Discussion

Post by scaffman »

i totally agree with you dogs barking are a real wind up. we have the same problem a turkish neighbour who likes to feed stray dogs here in ozankoy and they bark for food all night long .If we had a gun i would shoot the f ing things its just not fair.Spoke with the man but what can i do he replied move the dog a good idea.I remember the army many years ago used to round up the strays and shoot them years ago.Before all you dog lovers start i am a dog lover that is under control by its owner.

Panchocat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Panchocat »

Hedge fund, Having seen a lot of cats around here die an awful death, because a neighbour laced chicken with anti freeze, I hope your post was tongue in cheek, but I think it's sick. I could never condone the action you suggest.

d1cxx
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 19 in Discussion

Post by d1cxx »

Having seen the replies on here, it really does show how emotive, and annoying this subject is. If only the small number of irresponsible dog owners could just stop, and think for a moment about how their neighbours must be affected by the barking, then just maybe things would improve for the many people who are having to suffer the consequences.

Ozangirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Ozangirl »

Does anyone know if there is somewhere that you can report owners of dogs that continually bark and almost certainly not chipped? We have 3 houses on our street where the dogs are just ignored, bark all day and night, 2 of which are just left to roam the street so they "ooops" in everyone else's gardens, get into rubbish and set every other dog off ! It's absolutely driving us mad, to the point of wanting to sell up because we can't bear their ignorance and total lack of respect for other people. Any help would be appreciated.

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

If you are in Ozanköy as your user name suggests, go to the belediye in Girne and report it to the zabita.

Ozangirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Ozangirl »

LauraB ok will give it a go, thanks.

paul90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 19 in Discussion

Post by paul90 »

Ozangirl - did you have any help from Girne Belediye?
I ask because we, in Karsiyaka, have a major problem with a neighbour who has six dogs.
Does anyone have experience with how Lapta Belediyisi handle these complaints?

Loobyloo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Loobyloo »

Providing the dogs are chipped and registered they will not do anything essentially because they have no facilities for dogs. They occasionally will put poison down but that sadly just disposes of poor strays in the most appallingly cruel and uncivilised inhuman way, as is a suggestion made by a previous contributor. I’m tempted to say this is Cyprus dogs and cats everywhere because of a lack of willingness to neuter, rubbish everywhere and a lack of infrastructure is the norm, you really can’t expect to bring UK values here and impose them on a society that really doesn’t see or hear the problem.
A water pistol can work if they are near and is quite harmless.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 19 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

paul90 wrote:Ozangirl - did you have any help from Girne Belediye?
I ask because we, in Karsiyaka, have a major problem with a neighbour who has six dogs.
Does anyone have experience with how Lapta Belediyisi handle these complaints?
Normally tough

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 17 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I did suggest to a friend who had a similar problem that he could try buying sone dog biscuits/treats and befriend the dogs to quieten them down.

It seemed to work...

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 19 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Keithcaley wrote:I did suggest to a friend who had a similar problem that he could try buying sone dog biscuits/treats and befriend the dogs to quieten them down.

It seemed to work...
Could backfire though. A similar circumstance with a chap giving treats, result in the dogs going absolutely batty every time they see him, thinking that they are getting a treat, and thus kind of rewarding dogs for bad behaviour.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 19 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

On the subject though, of 'couldn't give a S*** owners..... we have Turkish Cypriot neighbours who regularly let their completely mad Alsatian out into the private road that we live in..... and yes, she DOES give a S***, …. in the road, so we have to be very careful where we are stepping when we get out of the car. So not only do we have barking dogs, but S****Y ones also...… hey ho..... Had to go to the expense of big gates and fencing to stop the b****y thing getting in the garden.....

Return to “PETS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”