Bringing Cat from UK which airline?

All you need to know about looking after your pets in North Cyprus. Find out about vet services, how and where to register your dog....and much more.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

oneplustwo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Bringing Cat from UK which airline?

•   Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Post by oneplustwo »

Hi All

I have recently arrived in TRNC and need to bring my gorgeous Persian Cat from the UK. A friend has offered to fly with him and bring him here by hand. He has a pet passport (Rabies jab done on 5-4-12) and Feline goodness knows what in order to get the TRNC import license that is far more rigorous than the Pet Passport. I know he needs a blood test too 28 days after his Rabies jab. All that I know and in motion in the UK.

However, because he is almost 16 years old I want my friend to be with him in the cabin save the poor thing having a stroke or something in shock and be flown in to Larnarca on his pet passport and then from there across the border and I plan on speaking to Mr. Mehmet at the Ministry of Agriculture tomorrow about all of that, however what I would like to know is, has anyone done this, I mean taken their puddy in the cabin to Larnarca? Which airline would you recommend? He weighs 5.5kg without a carrier. Vet said he was very fit and good to travel.

Any advice would be welcome as my friend needs some help. Thank you.

billywiz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Bringing Cat from UK which airline?

•   Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Post by billywiz »

Evening oneplustwo
not to sure about south but went on turkish airways and pegusus and you are allowed to carry your pet cat or dog in the cabin as long as pet and carrier doesnt weigh more than 6kgs. not too sure about price if any. still looking for the best way to bring my Rottie out in august its a mine feild, i dont think i can put her on my lap.Atlas travel are doing very good deals at the moment but not sure about pets, travel agents at the side of rocks hotel were very helpful maybe they are worth a try.

andrew4232
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Post by andrew4232 »

i think there is only turkish airlines which still take pets on board
Karaman, its not all wax jackets and green wellies anymore

Mozgor
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Mozgor »

Hi Oneplustwo - we're moving over in October and are bringing our elderly cats with us at 17 and 14 - we're flying Glasgow to Paphos to reduce flying time as much as possible for them. If you do a bit of research, they say that the animals actually travel better in the hold because it's dimly lit and quieter than the cabin. Most animals sleep during a journey if it's quiet enough. Just food for thought although I totally understand your desire to have your cat in the cabin so you can keep an eye on it.

Moyra

oneplustwo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Post by oneplustwo »

Hi all again, thanks for your help and advice so far. Now the best my friend has come up with so far too is Pegasus out of Stanstead who allow pets in the Cabin and fly via Turkey to Ercan on same plane, but he says the weight restriction is 5kg including carrier! Some small puddy! My cat being a Persian is not fat just heavy bones as they should be for the breed and he weighs in apparently at 5.5kg without a carrier. Seems the best option but how strict on weight? May be he will be 6.5/7kg with a lightish carrier. I am just concerned about him being all alone and handled by strangers. I can always remember when I got him from the breeder in 1996, his sweaty little paws reaching out of the carrier and crying all the way home, and he gets upset with trips to the vet too, and his sister who was UK Grand Champion (owned by someone else) suffered a heart attack at 15 on route to the vets, hence my concern! He is much calmer being talked to and the odd slice of ham! ALL ADVICE WELCOME

Mozgor
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Mozgor »

Hi again - I completely understand your concern as I share the same concern about my two!!! What I'm going to do is get the two used to their travelling cages beforehand by leaving them open for them to go into and hopefully sleep in - you know how cats love enclosed spaces when it's their choice. Other benefit is that their smell will be on the bedding so should be less stressful.The other thing I'm going to try is that Felliway stuff that's supposed to keep cats relaxed, will spray some in the cage before they travel to see if it helps, wont do any harm.

We've adopted the attitude that we would rather try and take them over than leave them with someone else, even if that means something bad happens to them on route. I think they would rather be with us for the sake of a 8-10 hour journey cos they will have a change of environment no matter what option we choose. Best of luck with yours.

Moyra

oneplustwo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Post by oneplustwo »

I put this posting up on Monday 23rd April. On Wednesday 25th April, Custer went to the vets to have his second feline enteritis and cat flu, only it was discovered he had put on weight. The vet examined him and found a massive lump in his abdomen, and I learnt about this by email later that night.... Today (well Friday 27th) he went for a scan and the lump had grown even bigger and it was a massive tumour on his liver. The vet phoned my father and told him that it was terminal and that they were unable to operate and that Custer would die in a matter of days, and that the kindest thing was to put him to sleep. I received another email telling me what had happened, and I am distraught.... I have thought about seeing him again every single day.
The vet saw him on 5th April with me and she said he had a strong heart, good lungs and was a good weight 5.5kg, we left on 11th April saying a brief farewell to Custer and telling him we would see him in a few weeks, and now my poor baby is dead. I am devastated. I was not there for him, and now we will never see him again.
http://www.facebook.com/sue.ayre as my profile picture, and this picture was only taken in March. He was beautiful and a gentle giant who could sleep with a Hamster. I think his heart was broken, he was sad after we went and did not understand that he had to wait until we were settled. Forgive me Custer, I so miss you cuddling me every night, I will love you forever xxx

Mozgor
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Mozgor »

OMG I am so sorry to hear about Custer, you must be devastated. I'm not going to say any more cos I know that whatever I say will not make any difference to how you must be feeling.

My thoughts are with you.

Moyra x

oneplustwo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Post by oneplustwo »

Mozgor wrote:OMG I am so sorry to hear about Custer, you must be devastated. I'm not going to say any more cos I know that whatever I say will not make any difference to how you must be feeling.

My thoughts are with you.

Moyra x
Thank you Moyra. I have had many cats but Custer outlived them all and was always my favourite. Such a big teddy bear. I wish this was all a bad dream but unfortunately it is not. I just wish I could turn the clock back, could have done something, had a crystal ball.... Sadly we all have to die sometime, but not being there for him, and his not understanding why I was not there is causing me a lot of pain that I will have to live with now. It's a horrible horrible feeling.

Return to “PETS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”