road trip from girne to uk with pet

All you need to know about looking after your pets in North Cyprus. Find out about vet services, how and where to register your dog....and much more.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

racoonchic
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

road trip from girne to uk with pet

•   Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Post by racoonchic »

hi .. im wondering is there anyone taking a pet back to the uk . i have a dog i need to get back and would like to know if we could share the costs . either i will drive both animals or if someone has already organised something . could i jump on and splitt the cost.. around jan to feb time. uk mobile is 07817176830. richard.. thanks. obviously we could also travel together and share the driving..x my email is [email protected]

Hideaway
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: road trip from girne to uk with pet

•   Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Hideaway »

I have 2 dogs I want to get back to the UK but they will not be able to leave North Cyprus until March as they are only just having their rabies vaccines done. Animal Couriers (via KAR) charge £900 per dog for those my size (they are both pointers) which is out of the question as I simply cannot afford it. I did consider flying them via Turkish Airlines @ £385 per dog, but as they are quite nervous I am not sure how they would react to the long journey couped up in the cargo hold. What type of dog is yours? Also my estate car is too old and won't make the journey, were you thinking of taking your own vehicle? I would be happy to pay two thirds (2/3) of the costs if you were agreeable and of course share the driving. Please get back to me if you think there is room here for some discussion. My email address is [email protected] Many Thanks.

mikea11
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Post by mikea11 »

Hideaway, we flew both our pointers back to the uk with Turkish Airlines via Paris 18 months ago and we too were worried how they would cope, well I actually think they coped better than we did! Do not let it put you off and treat the whole thing as an experience and the dogs will be fine at the end, I think much better than being in a car for a few days as its over in hours.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

Mike do tell more about Turkish airlines. I know I could go and find out for myself, but my lack of speaking Turkish hinders me, and I always think the experience of others is invaluable. So, who did you approach? What did it cost? Was it easy or difficult (the mechanics, not the journey)? What happens when they get to the airport - did you have any great delays in picking them up.

I think a few answers could allay a few fears here. Oh and how do the dogs travel? On a commercial or passenger plane? and what size were yours.
Maid Marion of Malatya
'Plan as if you will live for ever, but live each day as if it is your last.'

mikea11
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Post by mikea11 »

We arranged with Ann Bosley at KAR who made the bookings for us via Ankara travel as we had returned to the UK at this point and friends were looking after our dogs whilst awaiting the all necessary paperwork. For us we drove to Charles de Gaulle airport, parked the car at the hotel and then flew to Istanbul via Heathrow! and then onto Ercan. So coming back to the UK we arrived at Ercan with the two dogs in tow (must admit it felt like kidnapping them after being with our friends for 6 months) and coaxed them into their boxes with cold sausages. The staff were great at Ercan. We saw them as we boarded as they were awaiting also to be boarded, so yes they flew on the same plane. Once we got to Istanbul we all had to change planes and at this point we did get a little jumpy hoping and praying they had boarded too, although the stewardess said they had. We arrived into Charles de Gaulle a few hours later and made our way to baggage collection, after what seemed an eternity and butterflies in the stomach they both arrived with childrens buggies. Think they were a little bemused about this but once outside the airport we faced them to each other whilst they were still in their boxes and their tails started wagging. After this we caught a cab (another story) back to the hotel where we took them for a walk on beautiful green grass and then dismantled their boxes and into the car and off to the vets (again another story) we stayed the night with them in a hotel as the french are very animal friendly and the following day made our way to the ferry at Calais.
We put this down to one of lifes experiences and obviously I have not gone into everything but it worked for us, Ann even brings dogs over to Paris and owners can collect them there, we have even been asked if we would be interested in picking up dogs from Paris and bringing them into the UK.
The dogs were at the time going as Excess Baggage and were charged 10 euro per kilo, one of ours is 13kg and the other 24kg, you of course have to add on the weight of the boxes.
Hope this has been useful

racoonchic
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Post by racoonchic »

my dogs a rottie.. very placid and good natured.. i would consider rental of a van and bring all three together . il look into the overall costs in the new year and get in touch again..xxx haappy new year

suel5
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Post by suel5 »

Richard, If you are driving from the uk first then I know someone that is looking to return in feb to Northern Cyprus and is bringing his dog over. He was going to post to see if someone wanted a vehicle bringing over so he could transport his dog as he had a pretty bad time flying back to the uk with him. He would share the driving and costs as he had done it a couple of times before.

racoonchic
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Post by racoonchic »

ok guys my uk number is 07947789198 or 07817176830 .pleasecall me asap or leave me your numbers via text and il get right back

Return to “PETS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”