Absolute Disaster - Kato The Dog Saga

All you need to know about looking after your pets in North Cyprus. Find out about vet services, how and where to register your dog....and much more.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Re: Absolute Disaster - Kato The Dog Saga

•   Message 51 of 66 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Great update.

Our rescue hound took time to train and adapt to living with humans as well as not wanting to investigate and eat every crisp packet or pile of “stuff” in sight.

However; he has stolen our hearts, is trained and well behaved ...... most of the time! When he does have a moment we always tell ourselves, remember how he started life and where he came from.

Enjoy your hound.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

Cally
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 52 of 66 in Discussion

Post by Cally »

What a wonderful update, Kato is a very lucky boy to have found you.
Thank you so much for your perseverance & understanding. May you all live long & happy lives ;;))

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 53 of 66 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waddo wrote:
Mon 01 Mar 2021 8:51 am

He is a changed dog for sure, apart from always wanting to eat anything he is well happy and learning fast about sit and stay and come but has a real stubborn streak and if he plants his feet and won't move the only thing to do is wait - lol. He does not like cats one little bit and is so fast across the ground that I am very surprised he has not caught one in the garden - yet! It is now spring time and everything is covered in dog hair as he starts to shed his winter coat, still sleeping outside at night on his own couch inside his own kennel - have to wake the lazy git up in the mornings for breakfast.
Given his name I can't be the only one who will be disappointed if you don't train him to jump out on you when you least expect it in the manner of Inspector Clouseau's manservant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oonP4lAW20

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 54 of 66 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

ETS, I t is for that exact reason that we called him Kato!! You can never tell when he will jump out from nowhere or just sneak up behind you with a very large wet and cold nose in the back of your leg - lol. "Not now Kato" is a common cry in my house.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 55 of 66 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waddo wrote:
Tue 02 Mar 2021 2:58 pm
ETS, I t is for that exact reason that we called him Kato!! You can never tell when he will jump out from nowhere or just sneak up behind you with a very large wet and cold nose in the back of your leg - lol. "Not now Kato" is a common cry in my house.
Excellent I would have been crushed by any other answer.
Absolutely love Inspector Clouseau

mikea11
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 56 of 66 in Discussion

Post by mikea11 »

Brilliant update Waddo, glad he has settled into his ew home and you are all adjusting, long May it continue.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 57 of 66 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

So, now we reach another point in our lives. As we always try to plan ahead we did this - just for fun - following the Nationwide letters that actually only gave us till the 21st of Jan to change banks. We got the letters on the 26th of December!!! Much panic and confusion followed but we have everything happening now - we hope and our pension providers "Should" move across to the new accounts in time. Following that we reviewed our plans for the future.

We rent and have done so for 16+ years, our pensions amount to 8 times current minimum wage, savings in local and UK banks do not reach the £20K requirement. We are 76 & 69 and not getting younger - lol. Given that the current minimum wage will rise next month by possibly 30% we worked out how long we could stay. That came as a shock when we projected a 30% rise in minimum wage for every wage increase. I guess we are looking at only being able to stay here another 4 years if the situation regarding renters (High Income) remains the same. So it is time to make a move and a very sad return to the UK.

Now, that leaves a problem for us and for Kato! Unless we can rehome him - and we are very particular because he is our best friend and treated like one of our children - which is not really what we want to do unless it would be the best for him. We are trying to find out how we can take him with us when we leave - proposed date of leaving would be around mid 2026 at the latest.

So, can I ask if anybody has information on how to take/send a dog to the UK can you please get in touch with me - PM or Email or letter in a forked stick, I don't care.

Kato is well, fit, happy and friendly with everyone, will not mix with other dogs and chases cats, still won't walk on a lead and just plants his feet to keep his 39/40 Kg solid in the ground, still yelps if he thinks something is going to hurt him but the trust in his eyes is a joy to see - don't let him in your car as you will have to wait till feeding time to get him out - lol. I have had many dogs down the years but this one has a personality of his very own and is a total joy, so glad we rescued him.

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 58 of 66 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

So sorry to read that you've had to make this decision Waddo. However new adventures are always good! I think if you contact KAR (Kyrenia Animal Rescue) they will be able to help you with regard to moving your dog to the UK with you. Good luck with it all.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 59 of 66 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Thanks Laura B, It is just the start of yet another adventure in our lives! Although sad to leave we look forward to new horizons and another adventure. KAR website says they are not doing it right now, maybe in the future they will be doing it again, we hope. Take care out there.

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 60 of 66 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

There are a couple of other organisations who do it. I'll look them up and get back to you.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 61 of 66 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Really sad to read this, another adventure, still looking on the bright side. Pleased Kato is part of the family
You have loved your adopted home, like so many but can fully understand your decision with ever-changing rents and residency rules. We have managed a good life with me legally working here, we feel we have hit the jackpot with him getting his state pension this year and I finally getting my kimlik last year. Unfortunately we would of been in the same boat , not meeting the criteria if I had not found legal employment.
Good luck for the future
Hope 4 pets
Suzanne fehmi K9
Kim Betts pet travel
Are names that crop up when I see people ask

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 62 of 66 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

As snd says above Kim Betts does relocation. I think she used to work with KAR but not sure now. I know you're not keen on Facebook Waddo but that is the only contact I can find for her. It is ''TRNC pet travel''.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 63 of 66 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Snd1966/Laura B,

Many thanks for all the information, most helpful. We have 29 months before our planned move back so time is on our side for once. I only posted my original to point out to others - who may be in the same position - that it is worth acting now before you suffer a BIG surprise in years to come. We have had a magic time here and still over two years to have even more - nothing is lost when you have memories to take with you anyway, just be positive as often as you can and it will all work out.

The trick is in the planning for it all to come together and we have been very good at planning so far - well almost till this happened - lol. Got to stop the wife from packing stuff away now, or I will only have the clothes I stand up in left to last over two years.....

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 64 of 66 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

I'm really sorry to hear that you and Mrs Waddo will be moving in the future, as know that you have loved it here. Am pleased to hear that Kato is doing well with you. I have a friend who deals with dogs (not moving them to UK) but I know she has contacts to arrange this. Will find out and get back to you.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 65 of 66 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

alphamike, Many thanks, there is no rush at the moment but to be honest we don't ever want to leave. So much for plans and making first contact - no truer thing has ever been spoken! Always ones to fight against fate we are still doing that and may even find a way around it but that is hope and hope is never a plan. Boo Hoo.

It's been a damn good run and worth every penny. Went to the PO this morning to pay for our PO Box and the young guy in there speaks as much English as I speak Turkish but we get by with smiles and signals and laughter - when I drove away I suddenly realised just how much I will miss this place. Take care out there.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 66 of 66 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

I completely understand where you are coming from Waddo. Just hope that it doesn't come you having to leave. It is a good idea to have plans in place though, just in case, and this indeed could apply to us all.

I have just re-read this whole thread, as it's been a while and brought on a few chuckles about Kato. He's been a very lucky boy indeed to land with you both. Insomnia is a right pain in the butt lol.

Return to “PETS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”