Absolute Disaster - Kato The Dog Saga

All you need to know about looking after your pets in North Cyprus. Find out about vet services, how and where to register your dog....and much more.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Absolute Disaster - Kato The Dog Saga

•   Message 1 of 66 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

We had two brown pointers, one died in June 2019, the other one died in December this year - the pain of loss is almost unbearable but we cope with it.

After much thought we decided to re-home another dog and our vets assistants found us one on Facebook - we do not use Facebook so could not look there. On Sunday last we went and picked up what we thought would be a perfect dog for us and brought him home.

Within two days we have realized that we re homed the wrong dog for us. I am 73 and my wife 66 and the dog is about 3 or 4 years old, he is a lovely dog but too big for us to handle. Foolish of us I know but we totally forgot how old we are and how strong a large dog can be - found that out very quickly on our first walk with him, the ground is quite hard when you are pulled over onto it - lol.

We now know that we have to let him go as the previous owner can not take him back - no job, no money and living in a small flat. He is fully house trained and chipped but his vaccinations are out of date at this time - they will be sorted and anything found wrong with him cured before we can pass him on. What he needs is a bigger and stronger owner than either of us!

So now can anyone help with advice on what to do next - after he has been through the vets hands of course? Any help will be most welcome as we don't want him to come to any harm but will never be able to cope with him.

Many thanks.
Last edited by waddo on Sun 27 Dec 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Absolute Disaster - Looking for advice!

•   Message 2 of 66 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

As an addendum both our brown pointers were rescue dogs originally and both had a good and well looked after life, sadly they both succumbed to bowel cancer, one at age 13 and the other at age 12, despite the best efforts of the vet and ourselves.

Apparently this type of cancer is quite common in the breed and as they only have a lifespan of between 12 and 14 years they did well. Neither of them suffered as we let them go peacefully before the pain really started to hit them - so sad.

We think this new dog is part Pointer but the other part may well be donkey as he is a large animal - lol. Full of life and just wants to be with people all the time. I do not think the previous owner fed him too much as he can polish off his meals in record time and still always on the lookout for more, but not a thief!

We do not really want him to go to an animal sanctuary but that may end up being the case in these hard times. However, we are quite happy to sponsor him to a set amount for the first year with any new owner.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 66 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Good luck he sounds a nice dog. Wish we could help but we’ve adopted a street dog who is lovely natured but a handful and can barely cope with her. I think if they haven’t had much affection in their lives that do like a lot of affection. Hopefully in time they calm down. Hopefully, as first thing in the morning getting slam dunked by a wet dog is getting wearing. And yes she has got a kennel and uses it but loves to roll in puddles before saying good morning.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 66 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

I feel for you, a horrible situation to be in when you clearly love dogs. Can the vets assistants or a friend try on Facebook to re-home for you?
Afraid that I can't do with an energetic dog either, so unable to help, sorry. Only other thing I can think of is dog training to stop pulling.

I took in one of 4 pups that were dumped on me, neighbours and friends managed to re-home the other 3. Knew immediately I brought her into the house that I was allergic to her, but luckily another neighbour offered to foster her, and then decided to keep. Seeing the size she got, and how energetic she was, it was a relief really that I was allergic to her, but what a lovely nature.
Taught me a lesson, so when I took in an injured street dog, I offered to foster until she was healed. Turned out am not allergic to woolly type dogs, so I kept her, and being an older and smaller dog, suits me just fine, and can't imagine life without her.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 5 of 66 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Feel for you as you were just trying to do your best for the dog.

Sounds like it is a handful and pretty strong.

Not sure if it’s of any help but we adopted a pointer who took great delight in dragging us around on his walks. We tried the lead attached to his collar plus also a full body harness but both didn’t stop him pulling. We were in a pet shop browsing for another restraining method and the shop owner suggested a Halti. Decided to give it a go and it it worked.

The dog wasn’t happy wearing it at first and tried to paw it off, but as time moved on he got used to it. Not only did it stop him pulling but made him much easier to control. After just a short time there was no pulling at all. Even on an extended lead he doesn’t pull. If you haven’t considered one it could be worth a try. If of course you can find one in the TRNC.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Halti-Headcoll ... B004XNLCPC
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 66 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Thanks Posh, I had one of those in UK that slowed down but did not stop my old Labrador cross, he loved it and just put his head down and stopped, with that “Now what” look that only labs have. In the end he found it hanging in the garage - and ate it! Problem solved. This boy weighs in at 34kg and when he puts his feet firmly on the ground, nothing moves him. He is fine till another dog appears and the he wants to say hello and I get a close up of the grass - lol. Good idea though.

Alphamike, many thanks. The vets are looking and trying as an urgent case for us but nothing as yet. They agree with us he is just too big for us and have concerns for me. I take blood thinners for heart complaints which means that a knock on the arm is an instant bruise, both arms now covered in bruises and scratch’s and only because the dog is saying hello but his big feet and my skin don’t mix - it’s a jacket and gloves for me most of the time he is with me now. It is absolutely heart breaking having so recently lost an old friend to now have pass on what we thought would be a new one.

ETS, He is a lovely dog, in nature as well and I have no doubt that one day he will calm down but he won’t shrink and that is the biggest problem - lol. My two pointers loved to roll in dead birds then come back and rub me to show how good they were, that and both took perverse enjoyment about shaking water off them, as close to me as possible - lol. Enjoy it while you can, you will never believe how much you miss it when they are gone!

The search continues - many thanks to all.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 66 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

This may help: one to one training for an adult dog with Merter - Dogmental - 0548 8517699 his expertise is amazing, he speaks perfect English.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 66 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

tutor4u wrote:
Fri 18 Dec 2020 6:18 am
This may help: one to one training for an adult dog with Merter - Dogmental - 0548 8517699 his expertise is amazing, he speaks perfect English.
Any idea of the cost?

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 66 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

tutor4u, Many thanks for the number, have not been able to contact him yet and because we are not Facebook people I can not find an email address for him or the company. But we will keep at it for sure.

ETS, If I can find out anything I will let you know as well.

All, The dog with no name is staying with us!!! We are no longer looking to re home him, having talked about the whole problem we have made up our minds that the problem was us anyway and we will do our very best to train or have him trained so that the bits he needs are taken care of. Vet visit booked for Wednesday to start to bring all his jabs up to date, get him onto a proper diet which will help any gland problems he may have and a general all round check up to make sure we take care of him and keep him in tip top condition. Then it's training time for the wife - because he will be her dog mainly but part of our family always.

Thanks to all for advice and help - the last two weeks has been a real nightmare and it is all down to grief over lost friends really. We are not over it yet but now we know what it is the future is brighter.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 66 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waddo wrote:
Fri 18 Dec 2020 1:36 pm

Thanks to all for advice and help - the last two weeks has been a real nightmare and it is all down to grief over lost friends really. We are not over it yet but now we know what it is the future is brighter.
The new dog will help with the gap. You gave two dogs a great life and are going to give this dog a great life as well. He will drive you nuts but will add so much.
Mind you, whoever said pets reduce stress must have had a goldfish or a tin of salmon I reckon.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 66 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Nulten Oral 0548 8616674 runs The Dog Sanctuary

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 12 of 66 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Glad to read about a very positive outcome.

I am sure in time, with training all will be well.

You a clearly dog lovers!
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 66 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

tutor4u, when our last dog died we took all her bedding and anything "Doggy" useful across to Nulten and donated the lot to her. Now starting again but with bigger and heavier things to suit the monster dog - lol.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 66 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Am so pleased that you have become positive about the dog, and with training am sure he will be way more manageable. Good luck to you and Mrs Waddo, and am sure he will bring you a lot of joy and companionship.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 66 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

waddo wrote:
Fri 18 Dec 2020 3:29 pm
tutor4u, when our last dog died we took all her bedding and anything "Doggy" useful across to Nulten and donated the lot to her. Now starting again but with bigger and heavier things to suit the monster dog - lol.
Perhaps you should consider getting a saddle, then he can take you for walks? :lol:

Mozgor
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 66 in Discussion

Post by Mozgor »

This is Merters phone number and his company is called Dogmental 0 548 842 76 99

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 66 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Mozgor, Thank you, will try him again tomorrow.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 66 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Nulten Oral 0548 8616674 runs The Dog Sanctuary
I have been informed she does dog training.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 66 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Made contact with Dogmental this morning - must now consider coming out of the Dark Ages and actually going onto Facebook to make life easier - lol.

Spoke to a very helpful female on 0548 842 76 99 who gave me loads of advice and asked me loads of questions. Impressed with the most professional approach to problems and how to solve them. I did not ask for costs involved as I will find that out later on.

They are very busy at this time and I can not get an appointment to take our dog to them for a consultation until the start of the New Year. However, their approach to the problems can not be faulted at this time, they want to have the whole of our "Pack" (The dog, my wife and myself) visit them at their secure and controlled location so they can judge us all together and formulate a plan/program of training for the three of us first. This may possibly be followed by a visit to our home to assess how we manage the four footed member of the pack and see if improvements can be made there as well. I have a high level of confidence in this system at this time and will follow up with regular updates either on here or on Facebook - if I ever manage to get it to work.

In addition, so that you know the possible costs of dog ownership - up to now we have spent 4050TL on car safety barrier, dog mattress's, flea/tic 3 monthly pill, flea collar (this in addition to pill during every month of the summer) worming tablets and odd bits of treats and accessories! I am aware that the costs of mattress's and safety barrier are kind of one off items but we are starting fresh with everything for this dog! Next will be the first of many vets bills on Wednesday when we take him for blood test, general check up and at last buy him some quality food - the last lot I bought for my old dog was 375TL and I don't expect that will have gone down in price - lol. We figure that food and pills will come to around 500TL per month so that is what to expect if you decide to have a dog. Fortunately my wife has just qualified for her State Pension and we now know that we won't be blowing it on Smarties - lol.

Take care out there folks and stay safe.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 66 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waddo wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 12:14 pm

This may possibly be followed by a visit to our home to assess how we manage the four footed member of the pack and see if improvements can be made there as well. I have a high level of confidence in this system at this time and will follow up with regular updates either on here or on Facebook - if I ever manage to get it to work.

Sounds like you are getting trained too!
Please try and update on here as I for one don’t do Facebook

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 66 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Only going to use Facebook for communications with Dogmental - will always update on this forum when I have some to give.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 66 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

That's great news Waddo. Wish all 3 of you the very best and look forward to updates.

Another who doesn't do FB.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 66 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Enjoy your time with your new companion it passes toon soon. Be Safe

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 66 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

alphamike wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 1:08 pm

Another who doesn't do FB.
When you tell people do you get a reaction similar to if you tell them you have an outside toilet or mangle?

I briefly joined it years ago or tbh one of my kids signed me up on it and found people I had met once in my life for 2 minutes wanted to befriend me on there. Now I know meeting me must be life changing but....

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 66 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 2:02 pm

When you tell people do you get a reaction similar to if you tell them you have an outside toilet or mangle?

I briefly joined it years ago or tbh one of my kids signed me up on it and found people I had met once in my life for 2 minutes wanted to befriend me on there. Now I know meeting me must be life changing but....
:lol: Something very like that, followed by "You really need to join". Plus I do remember outside toilets and mangles.
Daughter informed another family member that I didn't do FB, who apparently understood about older people and technology not getting on. Didn't have the heart to tell them it was just FB I avoided, not technology.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 66 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

You can use facebook messenger without having to be on facebook itself. Yes you may have to join facebook to do so although I am not sure of that but you can use the facebook messenger app without actually being on the facebook page.

I hope it all works out for you Waddo.

Cally
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 66 in Discussion

Post by Cally »

Sounds like you have everything sussed, just be grateful you are not paying UK vet prices. ($$) I wish you a long & happy relationship with your new found friend

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 66 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Cally wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 4:16 pm

,just be grateful you are not paying UK vet prices.
Aint that the truth.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 66 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Chriswright03 wrote:
Sat 19 Dec 2020 2:37 pm
You can use facebook messenger without having to be on facebook itself. Yes you may have to join facebook to do so although I am not sure of that but you can use the facebook messenger app without actually being on the facebook page.

I hope it all works out for you Waddo.
I've been using WhatsApp for a long time, although now blooming FB have taken it over. All my family and friends have it, so no need for Messenger for me.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 66 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

I got information from a friend, Hi Mike, this is a number I got from my mother in law. Apparently hes really good and has a uk background. His whatsapp number is 00447380384637 his name is Tansel, reccomeneded dog trainer.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 66 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

tutor4u, Many thanks, am going to try Dogmental first and see how much we all need to learn - quite a lot from the seem of it and most of it will be us - lol. If they don't work out for whatever reason I will chase up your number as well. Dog - still not answering to any name yet - is settling well and better everyday. Dare not take him out of the property yet for walks but have enough ground around here for him to tire himself out anyway so not worried yet. Very protective of the property boundary and lets everyone who gets close know that he lives here! He is settled into owning his own hotel (Kennel) and will just put himself to bed when he gets tired, won't sleep overnight in the house now and prefers to be in the kennel with the gates closed so he is safe. Right now, things are looking brighter every day and we just hope that as time passes he will settle down to live with our pack and be happy here.

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 66 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

So pleased things seem to be working out for you Waddo. It is truly horrible when one does something for all the best reasons and it then all goes wrong. Hopefully the trainer will help too. Do please keep us updated.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 66 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Thanks all, the "Dog", despite hours of trying different names has so far only responded to "Kato" and not all the time either - lol. Never had this problem with other dogs but maybe he has never really had a name to associate with before so "for now" he is "Kato", which kind of suits him as well. He pops up in all the wrong places, is full of energy, is pure of heart (As is the meaning of the name) and totally ignores that famous phrase "Not now Kato" - thanks Peter Sellars!!!

Still not heard back from Dogmental as yet but as they are busy it may take some time - also I have not yet started with Facebook book should have that figured out soon - wish - lol.

Found out today why he retires to his kennel and sleeps a lot - he has been an inside dog for at least the past 18 months and we and all our previous dogs are kind of outside people, so he is cold when outside. Good one to remember and to spot as well if your dog suddenly starts to hide and sleep in this lower temp weather. His kennel is more hotel than anything and is always warm in there so I can't blame him yet he is happy to leave the heat of the wood stove and go into it.

Slowly, slowly with this one, he is a gem really.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 66 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Thanks all, the "Dog", despite hours of trying different names has so far only responded to "Kato" and not all the time either
Try bribery worked with our new pup , biscuit if he comes to you, Our pup Doogle loves a bribe !!

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 66 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

tutor4u wrote:
Mon 21 Dec 2020 12:32 pm

Try bribery worked with our new pup , biscuit if he comes to you, Our pup Doogle loves a bribe !!
Reminds me of the joke. Guy goes to his in-laws for the first time and the dog lays on the carpet and starts licking his bollocks rather noisily which adds to the overall awkwardness of the whole situation.
The guy attempts to lighten the atmosphere and says “I wish I could do that”
His partners mother says ”give him a biscuit and he’ll probably let you.”

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 66 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Looks like that will be a marriage made in heaven - lol. No treats for this Kato, he has been trained on treats and now looks for them everywhere. That is a major "Snatching" problem with him if you try to give him anything it is a case of snatch and swallow as fast as possible then ask/look for more. Meal times are not fun and trying to get the food into the dish on the floor is a non starter. All food has to be put in the dish first, then he has to be taken away from it so it can be put down safely and only then can I let him go for it - wish our hoover had the same suction power as this fellow - lol.

My two old dogs would sit and wait then if I did not tell them to GO for the food they would just lie down and not touch it at all and I mean NOT touch it. They knew it was theirs when told it was, we used to leave biscuits on the coffee table and they would just be ignored! We will get there with him, its just a matter of time, patience and teaching all of us.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 66 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waddo wrote:
Mon 21 Dec 2020 2:12 pm
Looks like that will be a marriage made in heaven - lol. No treats for this Kato, he has been trained on treats and now looks for them everywhere. That is a major "Snatching" problem with him if you try to give him anything it is a case of snatch and swallow as fast as possible then ask/look for more. Meal times are not fun and trying to get the food into the dish on the floor is a non starter. All food has to be put in the dish first, then he has to be taken away from it so it can be put down safely and only then can I let him go for it
He’ll calm down in time once he realises there’s a constant source of food. Early days yet.
Any of these dogs on the street probably had times when they were part of a pack and a restaurant threw out some food and it was a scrum and battle. Also not knowing whether that might be their last meal for days.
You have to be firm and not let the dog rule but once he realises you are in charge and you are kind people and will take care of him he will calm down.

Have to be careful with treats they have to be a bonus hence the word treat if your not careful they become part of their food and expected.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 38 of 66 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

ETS, "Have to be careful with treats they have to be a bonus hence the word treat if your not careful they become part of their food and expected."

Therein I think is the problem, brought about by previous owner - not casting any blame as previous owner was only half my size and would have been a bit like a kite on the end of his lead! Therefore would have needed a quick way to control him and the treat is the easy answer - sadly he is now very used to it, well he was until a week ago!

I think that he was originally a "run away" or "lost" hunting dog as he responds well to a whistle! No matter where he is in the garden or property I only have to whistle and he will come straight to me - apart from when he is eating of course - lol. Maybe my vet can explain a bit further as well as we have discovered some scars on him that may well be from past surgery. He is one of those dogs that have 'Dew" claws on the back feet as well which is not particularly normal giving him five toes on his back feet, plus a spare "dangling" claw with no bone in it on one foot.

He seems to respond more to gestures and hand signals than voice commands as well?

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 66 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waddo wrote:
Mon 21 Dec 2020 4:38 pm

He seems to respond more to gestures and hand signals than voice commands as well?
Might be no bad thing as he is Turkish.
So unless you are bilingual, you got a few things in front of you before you teach him English or yourself Turkish!

Sounds like you having fun with him so as you were missing your two dogs he might have come along at the right time.
He might not be perfect yet but not much in life comes with batteries in/oven ready and isn’t that half the fun/challenge?

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 40 of 66 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

waddo wrote:
Mon 21 Dec 2020 2:12 pm
Looks like that will be a marriage made in heaven - lol. No treats for this Kato, he has been trained on treats and now looks for them everywhere. That is a major "Snatching" problem with him if you try to give him anything it is a case of snatch and swallow as fast as possible then ask/look for more. Meal times are not fun and trying to get the food into the dish on the floor is a non starter. All food has to be put in the dish first, then he has to be taken away from it so it can be put down safely and only then can I let him go for it - wish our hoover had the same suction power as this fellow - lol.

My two old dogs would sit and wait then if I did not tell them to GO for the food they would just lie down and not touch it at all and I mean NOT touch it. They knew it was theirs when told it was, we used to leave biscuits on the coffee table and they would just be ignored! We will get there with him, its just a matter of time, patience and teaching all of us.
Slowly, slowly is best.

Our rescue pointer being a street dog naturally was on the lookout for food all the time. Let’s face it, best eat when you can as you may not find anything for a few days. He also used to be very “keen” at meal times. However; training and perseverance does work. We prepare his food and place it down for him, however he now knows he has to sit, wait and only go to his bowl when we tell him to.

We were advised to buy different types of feeding bowl to slow him down when eating. One was a slow feeder dog bowl with ridges and compartments in it, another was a large puzzle to hide small portions of his biscuits in different parts and finally a snuffle feeding mat. Not only does it slow down feeding the puzzle and snuffle mat makes him have to use his brain and intelligence to find the food.... this all bakes him have to work a little and does tire him out. All have really helped with his manners at meal times.

Once they get the message, feeding time is a much nicer experience.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 66 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Thanks Posh but feeding bowls in the TRNC are either steel or plastic unless you buy ceramic normal bowls - anything else is a product you can send for via Internet (which normally will not get here if the Postie has a dog) or buy in the South (where we are no longer allowed to go, as EU citizens the EU is barred to us because we are not Cypriots) that's part of life here.

There are some more modern items around - got a very good dog guard for the car from a shop that sells Italian stuff - but normal things are not available. So its back to patience, repetition of commands, normal bowls and very fast fingers to keep them out of the way. He is learning but we think that as a puppy he had to fight for every mouthful and that will take time to instill confidence in him.

Success last night, the first time we left the door to his kennel area open and gave him the full run of the property - still here this morning, chalk that up as a major win!

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 42 of 66 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waddo wrote:
Tue 22 Dec 2020 8:59 am

Success last night, the first time we left the door to his kennel area open and gave him the full run of the property - still here this morning, chalk that up as a major win!
Obviously likes it there which is a big thing. Dogs like to please so if he's decided he wants to stick around then it should all fall into place.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 43 of 66 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Excellent news Waddo, little steps at a time.

Thing is, many of can't know the history of our dogs, and what they have been through. Mine is a funny little thing with food. Won't eat it if anyone is in the same room, and at times hides treats in her bed.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Absolute Disaster - Kato The Dog Saga

•   Message 44 of 66 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Kato Update - Results of first blood tests are now known, not good news but did not expect him to be clear. To start with he has Leishmania, plus two other blood parasites all of which can be treated with pills. The Leishmania is of course with him for his life, however long that may be, as there is no cure for that. The other two - far too difficult for me to say or even spell - will be cured within two months with tablets and injections. The tablets started today and the next blood tests for liver/kidney problems will happen on the 5th of Jan, then we wait for those results as well. He can not have had an easy or nice life up to now but regardless of costs he is going to get one for the rest of his life for sure!!!

Until the vet tells us otherwise we can not mix him with other dogs so Dogmania will have to wait for a few months and most certainly till after April next year when the poor old boy has to have an operation for a hernia - what more can go wrong with one dog we ask ourselves - lol.

Not even sure if we can register him yet but will find out on the 5th as well. He is one of the fittest, strong looking dogs I have ever had and we will try our best to keep in this way. Take care out there.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 45 of 66 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

Not sure how contagious leishmaniasis is. We discovered that one of our dogs had it, shortly before she died. She was an ex-street dog when we adopted her at about 18 months old, but died at 6 unfortunately. She probably had it when she was on the street. She mixed happily with our other 3 dogs the whole time she was alive and none of them got it.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 46 of 66 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

According to my vet, the only way you or another animal can catch it is from sand fly bites! The reason not to mix him with other dogs is due to the other - unknown to us - blood parasites he has, not the leishmania bug! Kato also starting to calm down a lot, wish I had not said that, as all three of us learn to live together. It is going to be a long journey I feel as he has obviously been beaten at some stage in his life and gaining his confidence and trust in us is difficult at times.

Not a complaint at all but for information for prospective dog owners - putting aside the initial costs of around £600 for essentials and checks on first ownership - the next three months of vets/food/drugs will run to around £250 per month. After which, if all goes well, that will drop to around £150 a month for the rest of his life. Worth thinking about!

mikea11
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 47 of 66 in Discussion

Post by mikea11 »

Waldo, any updates on Kato? Interesting read, hope all is continuing well.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 48 of 66 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Kato has now settled down considerable, weight up from 34 to 37.5Kg probably due to regular and high quality food, plus of course the lack of exercise forced on everyone by the recent Lock Down. This morning he went for another blood test - his fourth now - to check on the progress of all the blood parasites he had in him. With luck they will have all gone apart from the Leish of course which he will carry for the rest of his life. Will get the results either today or tomorrow but now down to just the one set of pills every day. That is good news for him and our bank balance - lol. The syrup he has been taking for the last two months, it lasts about 17 days per bottle, is 250tl a bottle, just for reference no complaints!

Our vet registered him with the Girne Beli but we still have not registered and paid for his annual license with the Catalkoy Beli and will only do that when he has completed his set of annual injections, not started them yet but will be doing so next month then we can finally get the Donkey Dog out on his lead and try to walk the legs off him - no chance of that - lol.

He is a changed dog for sure, apart from always wanting to eat anything he is well happy and learning fast about sit and stay and come but has a real stubborn streak and if he plants his feet and won't move the only thing to do is wait - lol. He does not like cats one little bit and is so fast across the ground that I am very surprised he has not caught one in the garden - yet! It is now spring time and everything is covered in dog hair as he starts to shed his winter coat, still sleeping outside at night on his own couch inside his own kennel - have to wake the lazy git up in the mornings for breakfast.

All in all he is doing well and fits in with everything we do but has a long way to go yet before we can say he is fully fit. What can we say, we love him and will do anything for him at all, he is part of the family now and is a funny, happy, inquisitive, BIG, dog who gets into everything but destroys nothing - perfect!!

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 49 of 66 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

That's lovely waddo. So pleased for you all.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 50 of 66 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Thanks for the update Waddo glad it is working out for you all

Return to “PETS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”