IMPORT DUTY CHARGED ON BRINGING IN CAR FROM THE UK

Moving to North Cyprus or returning home?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

mckinggodde
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

IMPORT DUTY CHARGED ON BRINGING IN CAR FROM THE UK

•   Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Post by mckinggodde »

Hello please who has an idea on the import duty charged on bringing in a car from the UK.

dwl2552
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: IMPORT DUTY CHARGED ON BRINGING IN CAR FROM THE UK

•   Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Post by dwl2552 »

Hi

I can tell you the import duty they were going to charge me for my 2009 VW Passat CC Manual Diesel was in the region of £6500 the car has been shipped back to the UK and I bought one locally.

Welldigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Welldigger »

Having looked into this many times for various vehicles I own(ed), you can bring a car into the TRNC provided it is under 5 years old. If it's over 5 years old, you must have owned it for more than 5 years. The duty as a rough calculation is about 65% of the retail value when new. If you bring an older car, they consider classics to be anything over 25 years old, duty on these are much cheaper as you only pay 65% of retail value when new!
I have brought over a 1973 Triumph Spitfire and paid about £1000 in custom duties.
I have a Landrover on the UK which is about 10 years old and not owned by me for more than 5 years so couldn't bring it, if I could have, the duty would be in the region of £5-11k, depending on the day!! So it remains in the UK as my occasional car when I visit.
I also had in the UK a Porsche 911, I couldn't bring that as the duty would have been around £40k, so you see, I speak from some experience.
Cars over here are more expensive due to the tax/customs duty imposed, for example, my old Landrover is worth around £500 in the UK and yet over here, you won't pick the same model up for less than £7k.
I hope this helps.

Jambospud
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Jambospud »

I am intending to ride my motorbike through Europe and end up in the TRNC , I live in Bogaz I would want the bike on the island from beginning of March for approx six months then ride it home again , does anyone know of restrictions or the procedure for this venture , have already driven a car out to the south of the island was easy once we knew the procedure , thanks in advance for any help

brian24001
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Post by brian24001 »

Jambospud wrote:I am intending to ride my motorbike through Europe and end up in the TRNC , I live in Bogaz I would want the bike on the island from beginning of March for approx six months then ride it home again , does anyone know of restrictions or the procedure for this venture , have already driven a car out to the south of the island was easy once we knew the procedure , thanks in advance for any help
If you know the ropes landing with a vehicle on the south side, why not bring the bike in that way and cross over to the north with it?
The wife keeps complaining I never listen to a word she says ............. or something like that.

Jambospud
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Jambospud »

brian24001 wrote:
Jambospud wrote:I am intending to ride my motorbike through Europe and end up in the TRNC , I live in Bogaz I would want the bike on the island from beginning of March for approx six months then ride it home again , does anyone know of restrictions or the procedure for this venture , have already driven a car out to the south of the island was easy once we knew the procedure , thanks in advance for any help
If you know the ropes landing with a vehicle on the south side, why not bring the bike in that way and cross over to the north with it?
The ferry takes a couple of days from Athens would rather come a different route , may have to come that way if it proves difficult through turkey

Return to “SHIPPING - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”