Winterising your pool. November ??

Need help in maintaining your pool? Need to know where to buy pool parts, equipment and/or chemicals in North Cyprus? Get advice from experienced Kibkomers.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

ham on brown
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Winterising your pool. November ??

•   Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

Post by ham on brown »

I would like to know if anyone does this?and where do you buy your gear from and approx costs please. 8x4 m roman

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Winterising your pool. November ??

•   Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

I know people do this In the US and Canada,where temperatures fluctuate,and drop well below zero.
All I do here is reduce(gradually)pump time to 2-3 hrs per day,and keep the chlorine to round 1ppm.
You will still need to vac as it gets windy in winter and a lot of dust gets in.
As for draining it, it depends how well it's built,and I have heard some pools here have structural problems when drained.
I have drained mine before without problems,but it depends how well your pool was built-and some of them aren't built well unfortunately.

ham on brown
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Post by ham on brown »

Philoz wrote:I know people do this In the US and Canada,where temperatures fluctuate,and drop well below zero.
All I do here is reduce(gradually)pump time to 2-3 hrs per day,and keep the chlorine to round 1ppm.
You will still need to vac as it gets windy in winter and a lot of dust gets in.
As for draining it, it depends how well it's built,and I have heard some pools here have structural problems when drained.
I have drained mine before without problems,but it depends how well your pool was built-and some of them aren't built well unfortunately.
Thanks for the reply philoz ........... On YouTube this guy poured some chems in his pool to winterise it then pulled his cover over. I think it was in America.. Then he just shocked it and brought it back for the summer season. my pool guy charges £60 a month and that's in the winter as well

Rosehillgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Rosehillgirl »

ham on brown wrote:
Philoz wrote:I know people do this In the US and Canada,where temperatures fluctuate,and drop well below zero.
Thanks for the reply philoz ........... On YouTube this guy poured some chems in his pool to winterise it then pulled his cover over. I think it was in America.. Then he just shocked it and brought it back for the summer season. my pool guy charges £60 a month and that's in the winter as well
Hi
In Turkey we drained our pool to 2/3 and put in 'winter blue' which stops algae growth and keeps it clear.

We didn't run the pump at all and just cleaned and 'shocked' it around April time.

Some pools need the outward pressure of the water to stop the sides bowing inwards-maybe ours would have been fine-but we didn't want to risk it.

Rosie

ham on brown
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

Post by ham on brown »

Thanks guys for responding. That sounds like what I need to do.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Almost off topic but a whole £60 a month £720 a year £13.84 a week, wow what a profit your pool company makes in the summer when they may have to carry out the 2 visits.
And if he is legal and submits accounts its lowered to £51.72 plus 16% KDV All companies here are KDV (VAT registered) if legal.
No wonder pool companies get a bad name and have to cut corners to survive with an ever changing climate with highly inflated costs but still having to deal with people who have second homes and on a budget. What's that saying a no win situation.
Lots of my customers who do their own cleaning maintenance when not here have lowered their pools to keep the pigeons off them and just left a weekly tub of chemicals to put in. Seems no long term effects apart from when they arrive back its normally about 10 days before they use it. I have though seen tiles come off like PhilOz says lots of bad building of pools on this island

leester polfus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

Post by leester polfus »

Hi Rosehillgirl. What is "winter blue" and does anyone know where it can be purchased in TRNC?

Steve C
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Steve C »

As I see it people who do not want to clean their own pools for various reasons get a pool company/cleaner to carry this out.
The pool cleaner/ company work out the annual cost of cleaning your pool and divide it by 12 monthly payments. The work is
obviously more involved in the summer months than the winter and the chemical usage is also greater in the summer. This goes
to show that if you decide not to have your pool maintained by your service provider during the winter, then you will be very lucky
if you can get the same cost for just the summer.
I write this as only a cautionary note as I have no affiliation or interest in pool cleaning.

foodie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Post by foodie »

Hi Ham on Brown I have a pool cover device to sell. It is to fit most pools up to 12 feet. Just needs you to buy some tarpaulin. If needed you can call me on 03928218499.

TB10pilot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Post by TB10pilot »

We have a pool cover for sale to fit a 6 x 12 metre pool. Cost incl. freight from UK was over £1,200. Offers in the region of £350.

ttoli
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Post by ttoli »

November to April , I really don't bother vacuuming , put the pump on for 1 hour a week and keep the chemical levels correct and have done this for the past 6 years without a problem.
(Advertising Restricted)

ham on brown
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Post by ham on brown »

ttoli wrote:November to April , I really don't bother vacuuming , put the pump on for 1 hour a week and keep the chemical levels correct and have done this for the past 6 years without a problem.
Thanks again for the advice. Sounds like lowering the water level is good. It will be the first time I've looked after my pool so I think I'll go with what your saying ttoli. And thanks for the offers of pool covers but I don't want one thanks. And I've got no beef with any one doing pools at a fair cost, it just makes sense to do my own now.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Guy across the road from me has a pool company that comes twice a week, summer and winter and for this he pay's £70.00 a month. That's not a bad wage for a 4 minute visit twice a week in the summer and a three minute visit twice a week in the winter! Of course he never see's this as he only comes over once or twice a year - but you can always tell when he is coming as the week before the visits go up to 40 min's. It is a major pool company but they have very comfortable seats in the truck they use - lol.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Return to “POOLS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”