Pressure test pool pipework

Need help in maintaining your pool? Need to know where to buy pool parts, equipment and/or chemicals in North Cyprus? Get advice from experienced Kibkomers.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

maggieross
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Pressure test pool pipework

•   Message 1 of 3 in Discussion

Post by maggieross »

Does anyone know of someone in the alsancak area that does pool pressure testing on the pool pipework thanks

RAZR63
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Pressure test pool pipework

•   Message 2 of 3 in Discussion

Post by RAZR63 »

I am after the same. I was advised last week that they would have to empty the pool to do this. Which I believe is not necessary (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVp62kt ... tml5=False). Can anyone confirm this please?

It seems to me that they (for obvious reasons) are more than happy to rip up your pool and replace tiles etc.... rather than find the leak. Or I'm I just being cynical?

brian24001
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Pressure test pool pipework

•   Message 3 of 3 in Discussion

Post by brian24001 »

The reason for emptying the pool is to blank off the jets, or how else will the pipework hold pressure.

We had a leak on our pool many years ago.

First, eliminated the balance tank, easy and quick to do.

When the pool was constructed, there is a small recess with a grill at the deep end, the shuttering was made of course with wood.
This was not removed before tiling, so after time, water seeped through and rotted the wood and the water escaped there.

I found this by first draining the pool to below the overflow, and marked the tile and waited a couple of days. Then calculated the volume lost per hour. Some will be leak, some will be evaporation. Best not to do this at a windy time as the wind causes more evaporation that heat.

Then dropped the level to just above the lights and re-checked and calculated loss per hour, it was about the same.

Dropped the level to just below the lights, basically same result so not leaking through the lights, but slightly less leak, remember there is now less hydrostatic pressure on the leak point.

Dropped the level to just below the shallow end jet, again leak recorded.

Figured now that the leak was something at the deep end. Could have been the pipework to the deep end (most unlikely it's encased in concrete) or the recess.
It could also of course potentially be the join between the vertical wall and the floor, but I think this would be extremely unlikely.

Now able to access the lower jets, I blanked these off, and fitted pipe to the shallow end jet to increase the hydrostatic pressure and filled this with water. This help proving the pipework was ok.

Knocked some tiles off the recess and could see where the water was running out through the wood shuttering.

Fixed it easily from there and waterproofed and re-tiled the section.

None of the process is complicated, but it does need basic fault finding skills, so good luck here.
If you are even only slightly handy as you can see from above, most people could find the fault themselves.

Remember, your pool, if made correctly, does not seal on the tiles, there should be a membrane that is applied before the tiles are fitted, though i am sure there will be plenty here without the membrane applied.
The wife keeps complaining I never listen to a word she says ............. or something like that.

Return to “POOLS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”