Cloudy Pool?

Need help in maintaining your pool? Need to know where to buy pool parts, equipment and/or chemicals in North Cyprus? Get advice from experienced Kibkomers.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Cloudy Pool?

•   Message 1 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Hi Everyone,
I need some advise. About 12 days ago I cleaned my pool and it went cloudy, over the next two days it got worse. I flocked it last Monday and left the pool off. By Wednesday it was no better so flocked it again, today its still no better. I dont want to keep flocking it if it dosent work?

My sand in the filter was changed about 9 weeks ago, I use well water to top up the balance tank.

Aside from part emptying the pool, I am at a loss what to do next. I had the water tested at a local pool company, chemically the water is spot on, all levels correct. Do I leave it and hope for the best that it may clear?

Any advise would be appreciated thank you.

Spud50
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Cloudy Pool?

•   Message 2 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Spud50 »

Hi Steve. George bought something from the pool shop at the water roundabout. I think it was something like ‘pool clear’. I’m sure if you go in they will know what you mean. Think it was £19.
Carol

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Hi Carol,
Thanks for that, will give it a go, cant lose anything.

Jonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Jonnie »

Jolly Jel available from Cyprus pools is a good try in a difficult pool situation. When you say all levels correct what did they test?
Some are wise and some otherwise.....

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

I have a digital reader so probably means not much to anyone? Chlorine 3.2 PH 7.6 Alkaline 140.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 6 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Have you back-washed recently? Could take time for sand to settle.
I had a cloudy pool once and tried everything like you, took a sample to Pooltech who did a water test. It turned out I had "Locked Chlorine" in the water. They sold me some chemicals to add to the pool, worked like magic, all clear within a day. May be worth getting water tested again.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

I did take mine to Pooltech, there was a stand in guy who couldent really offer any suggestions. I bought a bottle from the shop on the Bellapais lights which he reckons should do it lets see?

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 8 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

I think best to make appointment for when Joanna is in the shop, she the test expert.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.

silverfir
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 35 in Discussion

Post by silverfir »

Molliethecat. How many hours a day is your pump running?

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

4, two in the morning, two in the evening.

silverfir
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 35 in Discussion

Post by silverfir »

May not be long enough. I run mine 6 hours a day. If you do a search on here about pool running time I think you will find that in this heat the consensus is that 6 hours is the optimum time

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 12 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Run mine for 8 hours in this heat. Good point. :+1:)

Bloss
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Bloss »

We run ours for 1 hour twice a day Cleaned twice a week No problems whatso ever We also use Copper sulphate every 6 weeks in the summer season

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 35 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

You can have your water tested for CYA( cynuric acid) its an added to chlorine but unlike chlorine which dissipates it can build up over time.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 35 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Run ours 4 hours a day before the sun is on the water, always have done and the water is like crystal. The latter run is after dark.

Jonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Jonnie »

Mollie the cat wrote:
Fri 11 Sep 2020 2:43 pm
I have a digital reader so probably means not much to anyone? Chlorine 3.2 PH 7.6 Alkaline 140.

A Cyanuric acid test would be good, if the level is high it effectively stabilises the chlorine and prevents it from working. Jolly Jel is amazing and is a good fixer when pools are a problem. Will not turn your hair green which can happen with CuSO4

gates
Business contributing to forum
Business contributing to forum

•   Message 17 of 35 in Discussion

Post by gates »

I run mine 1 hour a day have done every summer for years no problem in the low price lecy 2 am in winter months turn of add chlorine works for me

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 18 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Really? I've been told by pool companies 8 to 12 hours in the summer. Also, I am near open fields so get dirt blown in which sits on surface, so need to run on overflow to get rid.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 19 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

In the Summer, I run mine in 8 x 30 minute bursts from 8am 'till 10pm - a total of 4 hours per day.

This is sufficient (in my location) to clear any wind-borne debris from the pool surface before it getts waterlogged and sinks to the bottom.

Each pool has it's own unique environment to cope with - Uninterupted Sun - promotes Algae growth, Exposed location - wind causes excessive evaporation, overhanging vegetation - leaves etc dirty the pool, lower the PH, consumes the chlorine fast, and in Soner's case open fields as he describes...

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with offering advice, and recounting your own experience, but trying to diagnose anyone else's pool problems from a brief description is a truly thankless task, and any remedies suggested are (with apologies to all who offered them,) merely randomised guesses.

At some point, if he can't get to the bottom of this issue, the OP may need to realise his limitations and call in someone like Cyprus Pools, who do this all day, every day...

Having said that, Good Luck with it!

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Thanks Keith and others who have replied to this thread. I have been cleaning my pool for over 5 yrs and had much worse than this and solved it myself, this however has just baffled me! Like others I take a real pride in it and it hurts to see it how it is! I may have to call in the " experts" to sort this out.

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

Mollie the cat, haveyou tried not using the well water and topping up by another means, ahem? Apologies if you've already covered this. I'm just thinking that the well levels must be very low about now and there maybe some minerals/salts accumulating that may affect your pool?
Just a thought but worth experimenting. Fwiw I run my pump for two hours a day on low tariff, don't have a well and know nothing about pools but its always clean, in fact cleaner for the last three years when before when I had a pool man.

Bert
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Bert »

Use liquid chlorine without the chunaric acid in until you dilute your pool sufficiently to bring the syanaric acid back in check . Surprisingly not all pool cleaners etc here seam to understand the importance and cost saving effect keeping acid levels in control . I asked several here about chlorine with no syanoric acid in and they hadn’t a clue .

Jonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Jonnie »

Best way to reduce cyanuric acid is to add fresh water.

Mine and next doors pool are almost identical in terms of size and aspect. Mine takes masses more work and tweaking. I think this is because there is a bougainvillea hedge and an almond tree near mine.

Bert
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Bert »

To add fresh water usually takes a huge amount and to do that you have to empty that amount away to make room. If you use the liquid chlorine whilst you naturally top it up over a couple of week it will return to normal quicker than using the chlorine with the stabiliser in

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 35 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

The only way to get rid of cyanuric acid (stabilizer) is by dilution.
Google it.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 26 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

13roman58 wrote:
Sun 13 Sep 2020 5:32 pm
The only way to get rid of cyanuric acid (stabilizer) is by dilution.
Google it.

Not Quite true....

It is certainly the most common method, but use of a Cyanuric Acid Remover is a viable alternative - I seem to remember that Melamine was mentioned to me as being suitable for this purpose, although I have not researched a supplier.
Attachments
Reducer.jpg

Thomas
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Thomas »

I would test the well water, you may be putting high levals of Ph as the water in wells is not great at the moment, due to low levals

Catlover
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Catlover »

Jolly Jel is excellent for trapping the fine dust particles in the filter so they can be backwashed out.
Flocking the pool doesn't always seem to trap all the particles for some reason.
At the moment there is a lot of dust in the air - even if you can't see it.
We used to find that out of a group of 4 houses, the 3 that were on the ravine side of the lane would get cloudy pools but the one that was slightly higher on the other side of the lane didn't so it can also be pollen related.
Good luck, as you can see from the variety of replies there are so many different things that can cause a cloudy pool. Hope you manage to get it sorted out :-)

Catlover
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Catlover »

I believe Pool Clear is actually a diluted version of Copper Sulphate.
You can buy Copper Sulphate crystals from some garden suppliers but they are poisonous so take care using it.
It is good as an algaecide for the pool.

Wines Of The World
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Wines Of The World »

Mollie the cat wrote:
Fri 11 Sep 2020 11:16 am
Hi Everyone,
I need some advise. About 12 days ago I cleaned my pool and it went cloudy, over the next two days it got worse. I flocked it last Monday and left the pool off. By Wednesday it was no better so flocked it again, today its still no better. I dont want to keep flocking it if it dosent work?

My sand in the filter was changed about 9 weeks ago, I use well water to top up the balance tank.

Aside from part emptying the pool, I am at a loss what to do next. I had the water tested at a local pool company, chemically the water is spot on, all levels correct. Do I leave it and hope for the best that it may clear?

Any advise would be appreciated thank you.
Many moons ago id always try and recommend checking your pools TA- Total Alkalinity if this is perfect or near to spot on your pool would or will be fantastic. Sadly i still think not many pool guys here check TA on pools,in fact i do not know if you can buy TA test kits here!
Imbalanced chemicals, An improper chemical balance might mean there is too much or too little chlorine, or the pH, alkalinity, calcium hardness, or stabilizer (cyanuric acid) levels are imbalanced,dead chlorine.
Poor filtration means you might not be running your filter long enough,how many hours a day are you running your pump and water through the filter, you might have clogged or worn-out filter or sand is not good any more, or there is scaling on filter, which all result in poor water circulation but in your case you changed your sand so it should be good,did you change the sand,if not did you see the old sand taken out of the filter?. If your pool is in Direct sunlight all day long then your chlorine could be disapaiting from UV sunlight so not enough chlorine, a good TA would be 80-120 ppm-parts per million,if your TA is to high it can also cause cloudy water plus scaling you might feel on your tiles if it has been prolonged high TA and a slimey feel on your tiles.
Making Life Richer For The Pourer 🍷🍸🍷🥂🍻🍺🍹🍸🥃🍾🍾🍾🍾

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

Zerochlor is back! The old juice he sold was whacked into the pool, the new lubricant for sale is poured down the throat!
He does know about pool cleaning however, the new stuff he sells gives me a headache every morning!!

Wines Of The World
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Wines Of The World »

Brinsley wrote:
Fri 18 Sep 2020 4:12 pm
Zerochlor is back! The old juice he sold was whacked into the pool, the new lubricant for sale is poured down the throat!
He does know about pool cleaning however, the new stuff he sells gives me a headache every morning!!
I keep telling you, 2 or 3 glasses per evening is fine, but get rid of those old pint glasses🍻😂
Making Life Richer For The Pourer 🍷🍸🍷🥂🍻🍺🍹🍸🥃🍾🍾🍾🍾

aerhere
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 35 in Discussion

Post by aerhere »

Does anyone know which pool shop has 'Jolly Gel' in stock please. West of Girne preferred but happy to go East to get it.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

I bought some yesterday from a pool shop near the Malpas hotel, East side.

aerhere
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 35 in Discussion

Post by aerhere »

Thank you Mollie the Cat, much appreciated.

Return to “POOLS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”