General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Fergie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Pool liner

•   Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Fergie »

Has anyone used a pool liner in their pool and if so how effective has it been?
We have tried in vain to sort a leak in our pool and this may be our last option. Thanks for any information

gates
Business contributing to forum
Business contributing to forum

Re: Pool liner

•   Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Post by gates »

The only way to do it properly is take all tiles off down to the insulation re insulate and then tile . I would not go down liner route. I know a few has and not to happy wish they hadn't. Give us a call www.braceybuilders.com we come have a look give some advise. Hope all works ok for you

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

A leaky pool can have numerous causes. If you want to use a pool liner does that mean you know it is the pool concrete shell that is leaking? Diagnosing the cause of the lost water should be your first step. Is it the shell, is it the balance tank, is it the overflow channel etc. Jumping in to a solution without knowing the root cause is often an expensive and wasteful procedure. Simple tests should reveal the cause. Best of luck though.

Saddique
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Saddique »

Hi Fergie - PM / call me and i maybe able to help you.
I have some leak detection tools and gadgets for swimming pools and it may help you find the leaking point.

I have used these tools / listening devices on my own pool and have literally saved 000s.

saddique
+44 7946 689253

Fergie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Fergie »

Saddique Ive sent you a PM

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

Really interested to know how a detection of a leak can save you 000s which I guess means thousands. I know there is some really sophisticated and very expensive things out there for this type of problem. A "does my pool my pool hold water test, allowing for evaporation, hold water" check is a fundamental and first and basic check.

Saddique
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Saddique »

Thornby - your quote was " . Jumping in to a solution without knowing the root cause is often an expensive and wasteful procedure"

One of solutions given to the above question were to take all tiles off down to the insulation re insulate and then tile.
That is not a cheap solution either and is costly and it does not really find where the problem or leak was.

I had a skimmer pipe leak and no one knew where it was and i was told to dig up the whole pool area where the pipes run just to see where the leak was. I was quoted 4 figures to do that.

Like i said , i have various leak detection equipment solely for the purpose of finding leaks whether its in the pipework underground, or whether its inside the actual pool area....Once you know where the cause or leak is then you take the appropriate remedy.

In the TRNC if a leak is not found the pool companies tell you to strip everything down and start again and this is very costly.
Hence i said you could saves 000s.

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

Saddique, we are more or less saying the same thing. The advice given to you about just ripping thing out without knowing the cause I think was stupid. Bear in mind that on most installations now the pipework would run under the pool, not so with a skimmer design. I have thought this under the pool design for the supply was bad . The supply to the pool could easily be brought in on the side at low level so if the pipework does fail it can be replaced by digging up the deck. Any pool company wanting to destroy and replace without diagnosing the exact cause shouldn't be in business. Tests can easily be performed to determine a leak.

MVP
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Post by MVP »

A guide I wrote many years ago may be of help

Here's some advice based on my own amateur experience of a problem pool.

How to work out how many tons of water your pool contains

1 cubic or square meter of water weighs 1 metric ton, i.e the water in a space measuring 1m x 1m x 1m = 1 ton

To work out the number of tons in your pool multiply the lenght x breadth x average depth

So, if you pool is an 8x4 and has an average depth of 1.5m, the calculation is

8 x 4 = 32 x 1.5 = 48 tons

If you pool is 10 x 5 and an average of 2m deep

10 x 5 = 50 x 2 = 100 tons

Bear these calculations in mind when considering the amount of chemicals etc. required.

Massive sudden water leak in an overflow pool?

This is most likely due to the non-return valve being stuck open - usually due to small stones, twig, leaves etc. jamming the valve that maintains the level in your pool when the pump is off.

The water level in your pool will equalise with the level in your balance tank - if you have an overflow in your balance tank below the level of the pool, the water will flow from the pool to your balance tank and then out of the overflow.

Ask your pool man to clean the valve. Consider a 2nd valve to reduce the likelihood of large water loss in this way.

Normal Water Use

In the heat of the summer, normal water loss seems to be about 3-4 tons a week for a 8x4 pool, 4-5 in a 10x5

I have heard that everytime someone gets out of the pool, you loose 1-2 litres of water through drips/drying/evaporation, so allow for this if you have kids staying!

Is it a Leak or Evaporation?

The "Bucket Test" is a way of finding out if your water loss is through evaporation or a leak.

Fill a bucket with water and leave on a pool step, the bucket doesn't leak, so if the bucket loses 1cm of water, your pool has evaporated about 1cm too.

Remember, you may have 2 or more leaks, and that a tiny hole under pressure will lose a huge amount of water over 24 hours.

Remember, the tiles and tile grout is only decorative, it's the concrete liner that is the waterproof barrier.

If it's not evaporation or a stuck valve, try these steps.

1. Take the pool off overflow and switch off the pump. Note the hight of water in the pool and balance tank

2. Next morning measure height of water in balance tank & pool

3. 1cm drop in your pool = 1/2 ton of lost water for a 10x 5 pool, or about 1/3 ton in a 8x4 (10m x 5m water = 50 cubic meters = 50 tons of water , divide by 100cm = 500 lites per cm), you can do the same calculation for your balance tank, but you will soon see if it is losing the amount of water you are experiencing.

4. Measure every 12 hours and note it down.

5. Continue for a few days - you may find once the level drops a few cm below the overflow level, the loss will decrease - this could be due to less evaporation, if you have porous ridge tiles, these will soak a lot of water in that will evaporate off in the heat of the day

6. Check the grouting around the ridge tiles, and especially where these join the pool tiles. Fill in any tiny gaps - I used something called Pratleys Putty (sometimes available on e-bay, about £6 inc p&p) that you mix together, and then squash in the holes - works underwater too, and sets very hard - a fantastic product for pools.

7. If you have a diving mask, get in the pool, pull out the pool lights and check again for imperfections and holes in the concrete etc. around the light holes - also around the bottom drain if you can - again, use Pratleys Putty.

8. If it stops at a certain level, with no obvious cause (e.g, not just under the pool lights), it could be a dry joint, i.e the pool concrete was poured in 2 stages, and the second pouring hasn't sealed against the 1st - this is a serious problem that could mean demolition or serious work on the pool

9. If the water keeps dropping all the way down (like ours did), it could be due to sub-standard waterproofing in the concrete liner - only real fix is to strip all the tiles and re-skim with a good waterproofer.

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

MVP, debris in the NRV is common but is somthing that is down to bad installation by fitting it prior to the pump. Mine was like this, ut since moving it downstream of the filter it is now not an issue or a concern. I have fitted a second NRV, a belt and braces approach. Onething that is generally overlooked is the multiport valve in the pump room. Faulty seals in the valve can allow water to go to drain when the valve is not set to drain. Check the end of the discharge pipe from the M.P,V. For water discharging when not on a drain setting With a basic understanding of the way the pool works and using step by step fault finding it should not be to difficult to determine the cause of the leak.

Saddique
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Saddique »

Thornby - I agree tests can be performed to easily detect a leak , but even without a test a leak is a leak.

The trick is to know where the leak is.

and thats the difficult part as it depends on the type of leak a pool has, ie a suction leak , structural leak or plumbing leak.

Pamkibris
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Pamkibris »

I haven’t had it done, but I know a person who does this, so if you want some information on it, please feel free to PM me. He uses liners that come in one piece, which hang into your existing pool, so no problems with leakage. He will come and take a look at your pool and give you a detailed quote.

He built my house and installed my liner pool, so I can vouch for the quality of his work.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Saddique wrote:
Tue 27 Apr 2021 7:21 pm
Thornby - your quote was " . Jumping in to a solution without knowing the root cause is often an expensive and wasteful procedure"

One of solutions given to the above question were to take all tiles off down to the insulation re insulate and then tile.
That is not a cheap solution either and is costly and it does not really find where the problem or leak was.

I had a skimmer pipe leak and no one knew where it was and i was told to dig up the whole pool area where the pipes run just to see where the leak was. I was quoted 4 figures to do that.

Like i said , i have various leak detection equipment solely for the purpose of finding leaks whether its in the pipework underground, or whether its inside the actual pool area....Once you know where the cause or leak is then you take the appropriate remedy.

In the TRNC if a leak is not found the pool companies tell you to strip everything down and start again and this is very costly.
Hence i said you could saves 000s.
I have had a leak in my pool for the past 6 years, had it re-tiled, overflow canal re-waterproofed 6 months ago and still had a leak. I was loosing approx 2 tons a day when overflow on 8 hours in summer period.

Spoke with Saddique and he asked me to do some tests to identify where pool was loosing water. After a few days I identified that water was being lost from overflow canal. Saddique came down and used his underwater microphone and he patiently went all round the filled canal. He identified 3 leaks (very small cracks which were drawing water fast) on just one side of the pool. He then used red dye to confirm his findings.

Thank you Saddique. You have saved me time and money, no need to re-waterproof entire canal, simply patch up 6 inches either side of each leak.

You are a STAR! A six year problem resolved in just a few hours.
:+1:) :+1:) :+1:)
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

Saddique
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Saddique »

Thank you Soner for your kind words.
As i mentioned before , it is easy to figure out if your pool is losing water excessively therefore having a leak.

The trick is to identify where the leak is and then providing a solution.

I was happy to be of service to you and it was also a pleasure meeting you.
Saddique

Last bumped by Saddique on Tue 29 Jun 2021 11:42 pm.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”