Chlorine not registering

Need help in maintaining your pool? Need to know where to buy pool parts, equipment and/or chemicals in North Cyprus? Get advice from experienced Kibkomers.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

RAZR63
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Chlorine not registering

•   Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Post by RAZR63 »

Hi I have been looking after my friends pool whilst he is stuck in the UK. The pool is crystal clear but whenever I add Chlorine and then check a few days later it hardly registers any Chlorine. I checked the PH level and it was low (below 6.8). So added a good quantity of PH +. Took some reading a few days later and PH is still very low and Chlorine hardly registers.? Pool was emptied and refilled 2 years ago. Any suggestions ((W\))

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Chlorine not registering

•   Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

Hi RAZR63,

Granular Chlorine or Calcium Hypochlorite

Granular chlorine (also known as pool shock) is sold in 2 packaging types, in sacks/plastic bags or in those white plastic buckets.
If you have a choice, go for the ones in white plastic buckets.
The reason for this is that granular chlorine can and will absorb moisture from the air, dissolving it.
In fact, some people have reported that small tears in their granular chlorine bags have resulted in a pasty-unusable mush
that’s basically unusable only after a couple of months.

But if stored properly in air-tight containers, they have a shelf life of up to five years!

Pro buying and Storage Tip:

Even though granular chlorine is pretty cheap, if you can get a great deal on it, then go for it.
To prevent a whole batch from turning into mush, repack them in single dose Ziploc bags!
Your actual volume may differ depending on the size of your pool
but this is a great way to ensure that your granular chlorine stays viable for as long as possible.
It’s convenient (just grab a bag when you need to shock your pool) and it prevents exposure of the rest of your granular chlorine to moisture.
Just make sure to store your repacked bags of chlorine in a cool and dark place away from sunlight.

More...
https://www.mrpoolman.com.au/blogs/news ... -chemicals

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

RAZR63 wrote:
Sun 23 May 2021 12:05 am
Hi I have been looking after my friends pool whilst he is stuck in the UK. The pool is crystal clear but whenever I add Chlorine and then check a few days later it hardly registers any Chlorine. I checked the PH level and it was low (below 6.8). So added a good quantity of PH +. Took some reading a few days later and PH is still very low and Chlorine hardly registers.? Pool was emptied and refilled 2 years ago. Any suggestions ((W\))
I add chlorine to my pool virtually every 2-3 days in the summer period. I believe the water temperature/direct Sun will affect how much chorine is used. I don't think you have a problem here. After adding Chorine, do a chlorine test a few hours later or next day. If it still does not show on test, try adding more than you did the last time.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Soner wrote:
Sun 23 May 2021 4:04 am
RAZR63 wrote:
I add chlorine to my pool virtually every 2-3 days in the summer period. I believe the water temperature/direct Sun will affect how much chorine is used. I don't think you have a problem here. After adding Chorine, do a chlorine test a few hours later or next day. If it still does not show on test, try adding more than you did the last time.
BTW, if you pool water is clear, does not have algae building up or smells strongly of chlorine, then you can rule out "Locked Chlorine" ( https://poolcareguy.com/chlorine-lock/ ), I had this happen to my pool once, water was cloudy and would not remedy by adding Chlorine.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.

waterline
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Post by waterline »

RAZR63 wrote:
Take a pool water sample to a lab for analysis or if convenient Joanna at PoolTech can do an accurate test for pH, Free Chlorine and Cyanuric Acid. Then knowing the size of your pool, you can be advised which chemicals to use and how much. I found the home testing kit that I used gave different results than the testing method that PoolTech uses so don't bother testing at home anymore. Too much Cyanuric acid, which is added to dry chlorine, will lock up the chlorine. Have a look at the link that Soner provides that mentions this.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. (John Lennon)

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

waterline wrote:
Sun 23 May 2021 8:52 am
[quote=RAZR63 post_id=274629 time=<a href="tel:1621724745">1621724745</a> user_id=14636]
Take a pool water sample to a lab for analysis or if convenient Joanna at PoolTech can do an accurate test for pH, Free Chlorine and Cyanuric Acid. Then knowing the size of your pool, you can be advised which chemicals to use and how much. I found the home testing kit that I used gave different results than the testing method that PoolTech uses so don't bother testing at home anymore. Too much Cyanuric acid, which is added to dry chlorine, will lock up the chlorine. Have a look at the link that Soner provides that mentions this.
[/quote]
waterline wrote:
Sun 23 May 2021 8:52 am
RAZR63 wrote:
The pool water is crystal clear, so would have thought that Locked Chlorine would not be the case. I’m guessing that enough chlorine is not being added.
If struggling, definitely take sample to Pooltech, I did when I had Locked Chlorine diagnosed.

RAZR63
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Post by RAZR63 »

Navek wrote:
Sun 23 May 2021 12:37 am
Hi RAZR63,

Granular Chlorine or Calcium Hypochlorite

Granular chlorine (also known as pool shock) is sold in 2 packaging types, in sacks/plastic bags or in those white plastic buckets.
If you have a choice, go for the ones in white plastic buckets.
The reason for this is that granular chlorine can and will absorb moisture from the air, dissolving it.
In fact, some people have reported that small tears in their granular chlorine bags have resulted in a pasty-unusable mush
that’s basically unusable only after a couple of months.

But if stored properly in air-tight containers, they have a shelf life of up to five years!

Pro buying and Storage Tip:

Even though granular chlorine is pretty cheap, if you can get a great deal on it, then go for it.
To prevent a whole batch from turning into mush, repack them in single dose Ziploc bags!
Your actual volume may differ depending on the size of your pool
but this is a great way to ensure that your granular chlorine stays viable for as long as possible.
It’s convenient (just grab a bag when you need to shock your pool) and it prevents exposure of the rest of your granular chlorine to moisture.
Just make sure to store your repacked bags of chlorine in a cool and dark place away from sunlight.

More...
https://www.mrpoolman.com.au/blogs/news ... -chemicals
It isn't the Chlorine. Just bought a new batch and have used it in my pool and my friends. It has registered no problem in my pool but doesn't show in my friends. It is kept in a double plastic bag in a white plastic airtight tub.

Return to “POOLS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”