Advice, please!

Need help in maintaining your pool? Need to know where to buy pool parts, equipment and/or chemicals in North Cyprus? Get advice from experienced Kibkomers.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

pooltdoctor
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Advice, please!

•   Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Post by pooltdoctor »

Hello,

We recently sold 'PoolSchool', our swimming pools business in Malaga, Spain, which we had operated for 11 years, and would like to start a new pools business somewhere, possibly in Northern Cyprus.

Poolschool thrived because we actually, really cared about our clients and gave them as much information and advice as they wanted, for free!
We had over 2000 clients when we sold up so we must have been doing something right.

We covered all aspects of pools, from design and build, refurbishment, lighting, heating, covers, automation, etc., and our own, unique 'PoolSchool', which is a one/to/one pool maintenance course carried out at the owners' own pool.
Our old website http://www.poolschool.eu lists the full range of services we offered, if you're interested.
We would bring all of these skills with us.

We have recently been offered the maintenance contract on several blocks of apartments in Kyrenia so, if we come to live among you, we would be located there.

My first question is this.
Is there a market in Northern Cyprus for a professional Pool Service as outlined above and, if there is. . .
Is there room for another company?

Moving on swiftly to the 2nd question,
What's involved in working self employed in Northern Cyprus?

All advice would be welcome.

Thanks for reading.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Advice, please!

•   Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

this is an off the cuff quick response to your questions, and I am not an expert - just someone who has lived here for a while and picked up some info.

Firstly, there are several pool companies. And sadly they come and go, although some stay the course. You would need to come over and take a look at what is. maybe someone who has a pool could answer your question. I don't have one, but know only of those who do. But for a business to flourish you would have to do your homework on the spot.

secondly, self employed is not something here as in other places. |Long story and complicated, and you would need to consult an Accountant who seems to know more of this than a Lawyer. Again, maybe there is someone on this forum who can give you 100% up to date and correct info on the use of accountants/ the law etc.

If you can't find anyone, then sources such as the British Resident Society (they have a web page) can give very helpful answers to questions.

Hope that helps a litt,e but obviously you need more in depth answers than this. What about the people who have offered you the contract - couldn 't they tell you more? Good luck.
Maid Marion of Malatya
'Plan as if you will live for ever, but live each day as if it is your last.'

pooltdoctor
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Post by pooltdoctor »

Many thanks for your swift response, Marion.

Having read several 'pool problem' posts on other Cyprus forums, and the astonishingly incorrect advice offered to the poor beleaguered pool owner, it seems our skills might find a market.

The maintenance contract is offered by one of our existing clients from Spain. He has several apartments in Kyrenia that he bought as an alleged 'investment' but has no local knowledge.

We may travel out for an inspection trip later this month.

Thanks again

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Welcome to the forum pooltdoctor. Like to ask for some professional advice as will eventually buy a pool. Is it true that moulded fibreglass pools are better maintenance wise than the standard tiled pools?
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

I think you are wise to come out here. But one thing I don't understand. You have been given a contract for maintenance to some property owned by someone in Spain. do you know if you can legally do this? I would not want you to get into trouble, but there have been so many clamp downs here. You really need to talk to an accountant or someone just to clarify as to whether you should have a work permit for this, or whether the work is covered some other way - some business arrangement. I don't know enough but I do know a lot of people have been in trouble, and I owuld hate for you to come here and have a load of let downs. Obviously this is something you could sort out when you came over. I am sure there are enough people on the forum to point you in the right directon.
Maid Marion of Malatya

pooltdoctor
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Post by pooltdoctor »

Hello Somer,

Modern fibreglass pools are about as simple to maintain as tiled pools, with a few obvious differences.

Fibre pools never need to be regrouted, for example, but tiled pools do not fade in the sun. It depends what you want the pool for.
There is little difference in price, like for like, but fibre pools go in quicker, with less mess, and can theoretically be relocated.
On the other hand, unless a fibre pool is very well made it is likely to delaminate within 5 years.

Concrete pools can be custom designed far easier and cheaper than fibre pools.
'Cheaper' is the wrong word. Better to say 'less expensively', because there is nothing about pools that is cheap!

If the pool is for yourself, my honest advice would be to go for a tiled pool that is the smallest you can bear to put up with.
Most people see themselves swimming to and fro like Shane Gould (who?) in their new pools but the reality is that they sit on the steps with a drink for most of the time. Therefore, whatever pool you choose, ensure that there is somewhere comfy to sit down. Or preferably, lie down.
The pool should be no deeper than neck height of the shortest adult, with somewhere for kids to play.

See my article ref pool size here http://www.poolschool.eu/images/downloa ... utiful.pdf

Sorry, I seem to have wandered off there.
If you need further info, just ask

pooltdoctor
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Post by pooltdoctor »

Hello Marion,

To clarify> my client owns 4 apartments on a development.
His colleagues own several more in the same blocks and all of the owners have formed an Owners Association.
The Owners Association has recently lost their maintenance contractor and their Pres, my client, has offered the contract to me.

By itself it would not provide a full time income hence I'm considering a pool business in Northern Cyprus, if there is a need for one like ours.

I feel sure I'd need a work permit.

Barbieb
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Barbieb »

Hi Pooldoctor, I have been happily living here for just over 4 years, and have a pool, I have an excellent pool maintenance company that I would not consider changing, because I can honestly say from day 1 I have never had anything I can complain about them, so sorry, however I have heard some real horror stories, so would say yes there is room for a professional pool maintenance company here, but just because I am happy it does not mean there is not a lot of red tape here, so my advice would be, book a two week holiday then do your homework and I think it is very hard to acquire work permits etc, so could work out that you have potential, but outgoings so high, you cannot afford to trade, so have a trial period before you listen to anyone or take consideration of move!!! Good Luck

pooltdoctor
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Post by pooltdoctor »

Thanks for the advice and the good wishes.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

Barbie is talking sense. When it comes to work permits, it is the employer who is meant to get it for you, and there could be the question of 'a local could do this'#. so, come on over and investigate. We are all here to help point you in the right directions. Do not be daunted if we sound negative, but it is vital you find out exactly what is what to get it right.
Maid Marion of Malatya

BLUE BUTTERFLY
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Post by BLUE BUTTERFLY »

Welcome to the forum pooldoctor, and good luck for the future.
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Lor51
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Lor51 »

We have a pool and like Barbieb, have a good pool company, we also use Zerochlor and have nothing but praise for this product. I am not sure if there is room for another pool company as there are quite a few around. If the pool owners have a good relationship and are satisfied with their pool company, then you would have to come up with something better in order for them to change providers. Speaking personally, I would not change mine, I wish you all the best though, come and see for yourselves if there is a market, post on all of the forums if you havent already, to get more opinions.
Lor

andrew4232
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

Post by andrew4232 »

the setting up of company is a long drawn out affair and will involve depositing i think its about $100k with the government to start the process i know after set time periods most of the funds are returned but some held back as a deposit but i think its years later not weeks, once you have your company you can use your business visa to work, as were not n EU country work permits are not easy to get if you get caught working without one i think its something like 6500tl fine and risk being deported so think carefully before doing that !
Karaman, its not all wax jackets and green wellies anymore

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

strangely enough I was thinking about this situation earlier today, and I did get to wondering if the peple in Malaga who have given the contract to Poster no.1 realises that we are NOT in the EU. Were we, then they could get you to work for them , virtually no questions asked, but I really do think you MUST seek professional advice appertaining to Northern Cyprus.
As to setting up a business, the goal posts got moved in recent years, and whereas it was once a mere £3000 or thereabouts, it is now almost impossib,le and with many other demands (must have a TC partner - unless I think it is an off shore company).
But do not let that deter you, - just make those enquiries and come and see.
Maid Marion of Malatya

snickers
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Post by snickers »

Hi Pool Doctor,

Hope you can help me, I am looking after my brother in laws pool and got problems. The cleaner before didn't look after it.
I now have the problem of black mould in the grout.
I have been told to,
Shock the pool. Done
Add Algicide Done
Add Acid Done
Brushed the pool Done
Hoovered Done

Etc

Any advice would be appreciated

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Same with my pool. I will empty it in October clean out all the mold and re seal the tiles, unless there is another way, certainly have not found it yet if there is?

Return to “POOLS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”