Solar street lighting

How to save energy and money in North Cyprus: Solar Panels, Wind Turbines - find out all you need to know about renewable energy.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Geoff1131
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Solar street lighting

•   Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Geoff1131 »

Hi has anyone got any info on solar lighting , dawn to dusk type that are available in the North? We have about 6 lighting posts on our site and are thinking of getting them changed to solar lights if they are suitable.

Geoff.
Last edited by Geoff1131 on Mon 06 Mar 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ttoli
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Solar street lighting

•   Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Post by ttoli »

I bought some from Elektrokur ( Hirondelle roundabout) , lasted about a year so bought replacements from Amazon , 5 years later they are still going strong https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss ... T6HJHBDD0K
(Advertising Restricted)

Geoff1131
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Geoff1131 »

ttoli. Thanks for the info but I really am after a fitting that will replace the street lights we have now. They are fitted onto poles about 2.5 meters high and would need them to stay on from dusk until dawn. We do not want motion detectors but continuous light. I just thought that Cyprus would be the ideal place for this kind of thing but have not been able to find anything.

Thanks again Geoff.

waterline
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Post by waterline »

I had a look at the Amazon site and noticed a sponsored link that may be what you are looking for ...

http://ioannoualternative.com/solar-lig ... GwodFHQJ9g
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. (John Lennon)

Geoff1131
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Geoff1131 »

Thanks waterline, yes that is the type of thing I was thinking of. I will be going south in the next few weeks so can go to the shop and see what they are like.

Thanks again, Geoff.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

Hi Geoff,

ok, first my standart note: the "import" of this equipment to TRNC from RoC is illegal...
btw, they are not "small"... so, difficult to hide..

the...be aware that street lights are "off grid systems", so, light intensity (wattage), solar panel, batteries must be "well designed" to the requierments..

as for the given link......
either the wattage is very low ( eg, 4W ) and - or the solar panels are too small or the batteries are too small or both.. or eg, "... we recommend the light ON time to be set less than 6 hours per night..."
eg, a very quick calculation shows that a 12 Volt, 18W light can not work (discharge time) 36-48 hrs on a 12 volt, 17Ah battery, even if you sqeeze the battery to 0.
at a discharge of 80%, it runs 10 hrs, with efficiency losses maybe less.

if you do not "obey the rules" then your "light is a candle" and -or you will have to quite quickly replace batteries.
and li-ion batteries are not really cheap.

eg, this http://ioannoualternative.com/eshop/typ ... ht-system/ solar light (italian , the other two small pics are chinese lights) we supplied 5 times for the Büyükkonut belediyesi (UNDP project in 2010), with a 30 W led lamp (not 15), a 180 Wp solar panel (not 80), and a 130 Ah battery (not 50).
(and..not for 850 + VAT).

so, reg street lights we had a couple of enquieries....
and.. as your existing six lights are ready cabelled (to the grid), think about having a "centralised" off grid system (solar panels, batteries and DC-AC inverter + simple timer) and run the existing street lights from there.

Regards
kibsolar1999

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Hi kibsolar1999, I take it that to minimise the solar & storage capacity, Geoff would need to change to 'energy efficient' lamps if they are not already fitted?

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

Hi Keith,
yes, often it is better to have one system instead of 6 individual systems.. with 6 charge controllers, 6 batteries , maybe 6 times flux reduction .. and so on..
eg, when you look at a, maybe still not sufficient, 850 euro plus 19% VAT = 1000 euro x 6 = 6000 euros.

of course, energy efficient lamps reduce needed solar power, battery storage and here, as a 240 AC system, inverter power.

kibsolar1999

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

ok, this is not a proper offer....

6 x nice ones, LED street light "heads", 2 or 3 big solar panels, 1 x Mppt solar charge controller, 1 x battery AC inverter, 2 big batteries...bit and pieces...
approx 3000 euros.

there are possibilities to drop prices.. whether this at the end will be advisable... i doubt it.

but maybe a normal AC LED "flood light" will do... 25 - 35 euro each.... then the above calculation looks different...

Kibsolar 1999

Return to “RENEWABLE ENERGY - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”