Internet Internet Internet.

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

chiangbill
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Internet Internet Internet.

•   Message 1 of 43 in Discussion

Post by chiangbill »

OK Will proerly open a can of worms here. But we need to change our Internet provider, had enough of the one we have now, It's off more than it's on.

So who would you choose. All we need a is a decent signal, not bothered about watching TV via the net. But if it's there we would use it.

libby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Internet Internet Internet.

•   Message 2 of 43 in Discussion

Post by libby »

MULTIMAX!

sparkymike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 43 in Discussion

Post by sparkymike »

Would have to second Libby on that one !!

MoBry
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 43 in Discussion

Post by MoBry »

I'll third that too. Multimax' service is second to none, and I have no problems whatsoever with internet reception. Glad I changed to them. They go the extra mile.
Do your best to grow old disgracefully.

chiangbill
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 43 in Discussion

Post by chiangbill »

So Multimax 3 Rest Nil.

I'll have a cuppa
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 43 in Discussion

Post by I'll have a cuppa »

I fourth Multimax!!

carolhm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 43 in Discussion

Post by carolhm »

Multimax
4-0

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

I will 5th Multimax!

elizabeth
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 43 in Discussion

Post by elizabeth »

I will gladly 6th Multimax

Amorgos
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Amorgos »

I've been incredibly pleased with the quality of connection with Multimax. Yes speeds go up and down like any other ISP, but it's reliable. Also their customer support and professionalism is very good. When they come around to your house to install the hardware they'll tell you a day and timeslot they'll come.

Far better than my experiences with any UK ISP for certain.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

I have turkcell modem 4gbyte 60 tl a month never lets me down.

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 43 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

If you are:
-visiting Cyprus only a few months in a year
-you need to be always mobile (carry laptop around and needs to be online whereever you go)
-are very rich and have more money then sense
then a 3g connection (from Turkcell or Telsim) might be good for you.

otherwise with a Multimax connection:
-you can still freeze your accounts for upto 6 months in a year
-you can download 4gbytes of data in about 2 hours with average connection (yes, this is how quickly your 60TL can evaporate)
-you can get a decent UNLIMITED connection for as low as 35TL/mo (with upfront payment discounts)

Call us at 0548 888 6629, [email protected], live chat with us online at http://www.mmcyp.com, walk into any one of our 5 sales offices around the island (Girne-0548 870 0226, Esentepe-0548 870 0231. Lefkosa-0548 870 0233, Magusa-0548 844 0244, Guzelyurt-0548 844 0242) or one of our select agents.

Current Prices can be found at: http://www.mmcyp.com/index.php?option=c ... 67&lang=en

You really have no excuse for paying more for less!

Kemal
( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°) Haters will see you walk on water and say it’s because you can’t swim. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
-----
https://www.facebook.com/taskentdogaparki/

KoiBoy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 43 in Discussion

Post by KoiBoy »

7th Multimax, they are way better than the rest, and yes I have tried the rest.

stellasstar1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 43 in Discussion

Post by stellasstar1 »

And again with Multimax

Mel7348
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Mel7348 »

Like Deniz 1 use Turkcell modem and never had a problem. use it purely for internet. Do not use it for downloading images video, films,TV etc.
Life's too short to stuff a mushroom

Halffull
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Halffull »

Had Nethouse for 3 years with very few problems, but obviously outnumbered here

Lor51
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Lor51 »

Also Mulitmax for me

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

I dont download much at all and dont want to watch tv so I decided to stick with turkcell as I think MMs 4 gb is more expensve per month?

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 43 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

Deniz, you are suffering from the most common confusion between 3G and MM packages, let me try to explain:

Turkcell do not advertise any speeds, they sell packages and they limit the total amount of data you can download, in your case to 4Gigabytes(usually shortened as GB, with capital 'B'). If your download exceeds this allowance, you are either cut off or charged extra, even if this happens earlier than your month is up.

Multimax do not advertise any download limits, all MM packages are UNLIMITED usage, what we limit is the speed you can download data, currently 1.5Megabits/sec(usually shortened as Mbit, or Mb, with small 'b'), 2.5Mbits/sec, 5Mbits/sec and 10Mbits/sec . With these limits, you are allowed to download as much as you like and your account will never expire earlier than a month and you will never be charged for any additional usage.

Just to give you an example, theoretical limit of data you can download with our basic package, 1.5Mbits Internet, is 475 GigaBytes in one month, which is approx 120 times more than what you are allowed from Turkcell, for about half the price.

Hope this clears things up for you and others.

Kemal
( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°) Haters will see you walk on water and say it’s because you can’t swim. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
-----

Juliamoons
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Juliamoons »

MULTIMAX IS THE BEST

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

If I have a cable running from the roof it may be a problem as my house is a very strange shape also I want to be able to use my laptop upstairs and downstairs so would i need two cables or a router as well?

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

btt

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 23 of 43 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Deniz1 wrote:If I have a cable running from the roof it may be a problem as my house is a very strange shape also I want to be able to use my laptop upstairs and downstairs so would i need two cables or a router as well?
With a multimax connection you would get a small device placed on your roof, from which a single cable would then run into the house somewhere. This cable could then be plugged directly into a single computer (laptop or desktop). Or it can be plugged into a device most people call a router, but that would actualy act as a wireless access point. From the wirless access point you could then connect machines directly with cables (up to three) from each machine to the wireless access point and also connect machines wirelessley to the wireless access point (provided the machine has wifi). How far away the wireless wifi connection will work from the wireless access point is impossible to say with any precision and depends on several factors like distance, consturtion of the walls and floors and also the general wifi environment in terms of how many similar devices there are within range of yours. You may be able to find a central position for the wireless access point from which you can get coverage in all the areas of the house you want but you may not. It is impossible to say without actualy trying it. In my own house for example I can not get coverage on all locations I want with a single access point. So I have two wireless access points. My multimax internat connection goes from the roof to a downstairs room and plugs into my downstairs wireless access point. From their I then have a cable that runs upstairs and plugs into a second wireless access point. This way when I am upstarirs I connected to the upstairs box (which in turn is connected by wire to the downstairs one and then to the multimax connection from the roof). When I am down stairs I connect to the downstairs wireless access point.

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

Erol- I have a similar problem thin that my signal strength is OK in some areas of the house but not in others.
I saw a device advertised that you simply plug one end into your router and the other into a electric plug socket-the idea is that it turns your home electric circuit into a LAN.
Do you have any knowledge or experience of such devices as It would save me running LAN cabels all over the house?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 25 of 43 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Philoz wrote:Erol- I have a similar problem thin that my signal strength is OK in some areas of the house but not in others.
I saw a device advertised that you simply plug one end into your router and the other into a electric plug socket-the idea is that it turns your home electric circuit into a LAN.
Do you have any knowledge or experience of such devices as It would save me running LAN cabels all over the house?
Yes I have used such devices in the past and generally they are pretty good. They are know as ethernet over powerline or powerline networking and there are several companies that make such. Below is alink to the kind of devices you could use.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productli ... catid=1604

In my experience they work well but my concern would be with power fluctuations that we get here in cyprus. I am probably being overly cautious but there is a chance that the devices might get damaged if the voltage levels spike to high.

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

Thanks Erol for your reply-Do you know if it makes a difference with these devices if for example you have different circuits in your home-or does it all connect up through the main fuse box/Consumer unit?
I note your comment about the voltage spikes here-If it was plugged in to the back of a voltage regulator would that sort the risk out do you think?

woody7171
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 43 in Discussion

Post by woody7171 »

I might add I have just lost BBC radio stations

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 43 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

Philoz wrote:Thanks Erol for your reply-Do you know if it makes a difference with these devices if for example you have different circuits in your home-or does it all connect up through the main fuse box/Consumer unit?
I note your comment about the voltage spikes here-If it was plugged in to the back of a voltage regulator would that sort the risk out do you think?
Philoz, these work well throughout the house as long as both sides are on the same phase, which is the case on most houses, if you do by chance have a three-phase electricity coming in, it will work only within the same phase, and not to the others.

These devices are designed to be plugged directly into the wall plug. Because they work by adding data information on the existing phase waves, using any sort of modifiers(such as regulators, online UPS and the like) might actually filter out the data as it may be considered noise and therefore kill your signal, experimentation is needed.

Even with all the problems in cyprus, I believe chance of these devices busting out is not more than any other electrical appliance busting out in the house.

K.
-----

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 43 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

woody7171 wrote:I might add I have just lost BBC radio stations
I found them for you! they are on bbc website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/#stations

K.
-----

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

Thank you Kemal- I might try one then as an alternative to running cable all over the place-Do you sell them?

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

I am trying to avoid cables every where thats why I asked the question I want to use my laptop in one area downstairs and upstairs in one room.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 32 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Phil,

I'll just get in quick before Erol

Oh - I see that I'm not typing / thinking fast enough, but I've typed it, so i might as well post it...

I have been using 'powerline networking' devices for a while - it's the simplest way of getting reliable wireless coverage of my house,

In six years, I have had one pair of devices fail after a 'blackout', which I attributed to a 'surge' - either as the power went off, or came back on - I don't know which... )

Fortunately 'Mr Maplin' obligingly replaced them under guarantee at the time !

Their performance does seem, in my experience anyway, to be adversely affected by most surge-limiters and Voltage Regulators (such as my UPS, for instance) so I have to run them connected directly to the ring circuit, and risk the 'spikes'...

Because we live in houses with solid floors (as opposed to suspended wooden floors), a hard-wired 'direct' connection is not a viable option in a lot of cases, so using 'powerline networking' is an attractive option...

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 33 of 43 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Deniz1 wrote:I am trying to avoid cables every where thats why I asked the question I want to use my laptop in one area downstairs and upstairs in one room.
You may be able to find a location for the wifi access point in the middle of the two places where you want to use the laptop that gives sufficient coverage for both. Then again you might not. It really is a case of try it and see.

Philoz - looks like your questions have already been answered by Kemal and Keith and I have nothing to add to what they have said.

cyprusishome
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 43 in Discussion

Post by cyprusishome »

Used to think Extend was not good but for last couple of years it does what I want it to do without issue.

I am happy watching Dodgy, I check e-mail couple of times a day, and check around the forums for any gossip. I live in TRNC by choice and watching UK TV is not a prority, get most of the same on Dodgy eventually. If I was so desperate for UK TV I would have stayed there!!!!

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

Thanks for that Keith-I will get ordering and give it a try.

chrisr6
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 43 in Discussion

Post by chrisr6 »

Message to Kemal at Multimax. On the whole the downloads have been consistant.Unfortunatly the 5 meg package is running at .5 meg at the moment. temporary blip I hope?

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 43 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

chrisr6 wrote:Message to Kemal at Multimax. On the whole the downloads have been consistant.Unfortunatly the 5 meg package is running at .5 meg at the moment. temporary blip I hope?
you hope correctly. The main reason why we cannot achieve very close to 100% uptime can be attributed to one and only kibtek.

Currently, one of the main lines from Lefkosa to Girne is down, because of electrical issues since this morning. Our engineers are currenly on the site along with Kibtek officials trying to fix the problem, we are told it should be ok in the next 2 hours (as of 11:30am, this is Kibtek's estimate not ours)

We have already ordered extended power backup systems for a couple of sites, including this one that would last 24-48 hours off grid, the estimated delivery for these systems are now 7th of November.

Currently, everybody in girne area does have internet, albeit slower than normal speeds for some regions, and some are affected more than the others.

K.
-----

chrisr6
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 38 of 43 in Discussion

Post by chrisr6 »

hi there. just popped into your office. All back to normal now.Good show.

woody7171
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 43 in Discussion

Post by woody7171 »

Does multimax offer tv packages ?

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 40 of 43 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Can you do a site survey before I sign up my house is an unusual shape.

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 43 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

@woody7171, yes we have a service called NTV which delivers more than 50 channels to your TV directly including bbc, itv, sky premium channels including movies and sports without the need of a satellite dish. check out http://www.kibkom.com/forum/en/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1357

@Deniz1, the shape of your house is almost irrelevant for your internet connection, we need a watertank or 20cmx20cm space on the roof ot side wall to install an antenna and from there a cable goes inside from a suitable path that delivers you the internet connection.
-----

billywiz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 42 of 43 in Discussion

Post by billywiz »

multi max came to my nieghbour yesterday as the signal was going up and down(not computer minded so it was something like that) whilst he was there he asked if anyone else was with them in the street, and came to mine and repositioned the reciever from the cratos to Arapkoy for the better signal. Now thats good service, more than happy lets hope they can handle the demand as i have not heard a bad word about them yet. customer service is the main thing us expats want to have, and i think they have sussed it.

altinkum kev
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 43 of 43 in Discussion

Post by altinkum kev »

Multimax , What package would be recommended as i have 2 Samsung smart Tv's that sometimes are on at the same time watching Filmon.com and laptop.

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”