Multimax VPN and BBC iPlayer

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Multimax VPN and BBC iPlayer

•   Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Following the BBC adopting a more agressive and ongoing approach to blocking the use of BBC iPlayer form people outside the UK using VPNs the multimax VPN stopped working with regards to BBC iPlayer specifically.

Having monitored the situation over the last month Multimax will not be seeking to overcome this pro active blocking of its VPN service by the BBC. The VPN service provided by Multimax for it's customers was and is provided on the basis that it was a one off cost to set up and used resources that were already in place and paid for. Unfortunately this is no longer the case given the BBC's new and ongoing more aggressive stance towards the use of VPNs on iPlayer. Entering in to an ongoing battle of action by the BBC and re action by us to keep the VPN functioning with BBC iPlayer is not something that would be fair to our many customers who do not use the free VPN service at all. We have considered offering the VPN as a charged for service but such is not Multimax's core business and there is already a very competitive market of third party suppliers of such services for whom such access is core to their business. Thus we do not expect the free MM VPN to work with BBC iPlayer now or in the foreseeable future.

We do understand that such a decision will be disappointing to those Multimax customers that have enjoyed access to BBC iPlayer content using the free Multimax VPN for many years now. We do also understand and accept that for some customers this loss of functionality of the free MM VPN may have changed for them the value proposition of our service.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Multimax VPN and BBC iPlayer

•   Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Thank you for the information Erol. It was good while it lasted.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

The Streamvia VPN / DNS redirect service that Erol mentioned in a previous thread appears to work fine, and although they offer a good discount for longer periods, I am being a little cautious and going with the 'one month at a time' option at £4.99 pcm.

OR without a VPN at all....

Remember that if you're with Multimax, you can watch UK TV 'Live' for 'free' (well, at no additional cost ) by using NTV, either through a Browser (such as Chrome or Internet Explorer or Firefox) or by using the Matrix Browser on an Android box/pad/'phone or by using the official NTV addon for Kodi on a variety of devices, or on a MAG box.

Time-shifting (one of the attractions of BBC iPlayer, of course) can be accomplished by downloading Torrents and saving the resulting file onto a USB stick which you can plug into most modern TVs - or by using a KODI box loaded with suitable software (software is free to download, but it would entail a little 'swotting up' for the technologically inhibited ) - or by using an App on an Android device, and possibly using a 'chromecast' to send it to your TV screen or via a cable, whichever suits you best.

If anyone has anything to add, options or criticism-wise, feel free!

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Keithcaley wrote:If anyone has anything to add, options or criticism-wise, feel free!
Just to be clear I mentioned streamvia as a paid for vpn / dns redirect service at a 'personal' level and not as MM. I recommended not on the basis of any 'comparative testing' of it vs other services but on the basis that it a service i tried a long time ago and that has met my needs and has managed to pretty much keep working through these recent BBC actions and when it did go down for around 12 hours on the dns redirect service they had posted on their status problem about the issue and what they were doing to resolve it. There may well be other such services out there that are equally as good or better and at a lower costs, I do not know. All I know is that I have personally been happy with streamvia for a number of years and their service was / is priced such that I am ok with it.

As far as online TV options go in additions to those mentioned by Keith already one I would mention is Netflix. No good for 'live sport' at all but it does have for me enough content that I want to watch and is available totally legally / legitimately here without the need for any VPN or similar. I have been a subscriber for a number of years now. I like it but more than than that I like the 'concept' of it and the way they are challenging the 'old world' models of content production, ownership and distribution to models that work with the new potentials of the internet rather than against them. So I subscribe partly for the content but also partly to 'support' Netflix itself. Anyway it is one more of the many options out there.

rocking
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

Post by rocking »

A ted to say a big thank you to Errol, you have tried your absolute best in this Vpn saga, I used this all the time especially being able to put sub titles on, but so be it. Thank you.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

erol wrote:
I like the 'concept' of it and the way they are challenging the 'old world' models of content production, ownership and distribution to models that work with the new potentials of the internet rather than against them. So I subscribe partly for the content but also partly to 'support' Netflix itself.
Looks like they will make a billion this year.
What is interesting is how the road was open for blockbuster to do streaming but they didn't react likewise kodak with digital photography.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

A bit like Keith, am a bit wary of subscribing to any VPN for a lengthy period. I tried the free Windscribe which did work, but no longer with BBC iPlayer, so am glad that I didn't subscribe to the paid version. Not too bothered at the moment, but come next winter, might look into some options. In the meantime, both the MM and free Windscribe VPN's give access to the other Uk channels.

jimm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Post by jimm »

you could also subscribe to Filmon where you get 10 hours of recording free

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

jimm wrote:you could also subscribe to Filmon where you get 10 hours of recording free
You certainly can - 14.95 Euros per month...

jimm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Post by jimm »

You could try cutting your efes intake by 1 pint a day to pay for it

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

jimm wrote:You could try cutting your efes intake by 1 pint a day to pay for it
. . . . .. . . . . . . .

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

jimm wrote:you could also subscribe to Filmon where you get 10 hours of recording free
I'm far too mean to pay 14.95 euros per month when there are cheaper or free options available.

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”