Internet providers

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

dazmondocus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Internet providers

•   Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Post by dazmondocus »

Fairly new to forum, but we will be moving over to start work in TRNC in the Summer (if we can get off Malta, but that's another story, see shipping) .
Trying to get an idea of Internet providers in TRNC. A consensus on who provides the best quality package, who to avoid, etc.
I've looked at a few, but would really get a better idea from your experiences, I realise I could be opening a hornet's nest!
We have only two providers here in Malta but they are pretty competitive. Mine currently is 50mps down 2mps up and unlimited download. Everyone here has an android box or 3 and there's no regulation as such. Is there anything comparable? Is it wires or cable? Everything here is cable provided.

Thanks in advance, Darren

Xtreme512
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Internet providers

•   Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Xtreme512 »

Hello, it depends on where you'll live. For Nicosia, I would recommend Comtech or Sistemco. For Kyrenia, again Comtech (if available) or Multimax. In Famagusta, go for FixNet. There are also two companies I would like to mention; Nethouse and Extend, you can easily find them, but proceed with caution. Other companies are in that link that I didn't mention here, http://www.bthk.org/tr/haberlesme-sagla ... glayicilar, proceed with extreme caution.

Above are all wireless ISPs (WISP), we also have cable (ADSL2) but unlike other countries, ADSL doesn't work well in our country due to land lines (max 8Mbps, high latency etc.).

Few tips, always ask for if they have any quota or fair usage policy (only Comtech and Sistemco are truly unlimited AFAIK). Ask for their packages, as some may give 30 to 60Mbps but not consistently, better to have a fixed 16Mbps than "up-to" whatever speeds. Lastly, be prepared for down times and speed reductions/instabilities because we receive internet from TTNET (Turkey), and 95% of the ISPs here are not professional, they neither do apply good use of their resources, nor have top-notch equipment.
I Walk Alone

dazmondocus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Post by dazmondocus »

Thanks Xtreme

I've looked at the Comtech site and they seem to be introducing fiber optic cabling, although there seems to to be no pricing on this presently.
Is anyone hooked up with this yet or is it a 'coming soon' but not that soon as it is here in Malta?

Xtreme512
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Xtreme512 »

Fiber is for companies (mostly government). Other than that, they may supply fiber internet (FTTH) for large apartment sites where demand is high. At least this is what they have told me few years ago.
I Walk Alone

dazmondocus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Post by dazmondocus »

I've noticed Multimax has a superinternet platinum package in the Girne area . This is very expensive compared to other
Companies but is it any better?
They don't seem to publish the speeds and for that money they still have traffic management which they did away with about 3 years ago!
Does anyone have it and can they vouch for it's quality and reliability?

Thanks

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

It's only as reliable as the TTNET transfer network through and out of the other side of Turkey.

You are not going to get an EU standard internet connection in TRNC.

Multimax guarantee you a minimum of 4Mbps to their Kyrenia server (anything lower than that they will treat as a fault, provided that you report it).

You may get 20, 30 or more Mbps to the Kyrenia server at times, but it's not guaranteed.

Any connection beyond the Kyrenia server is at the whim of TTNET in Turkey - and as they have a monopoly, there's not a lot to be done about that, apparently!

As you noticed, there is a 'fair use' policy in place from 16:00 to 24:00 each day, resetting at 01:00 each morning. It should be sufficient to allow a few hours of TV viewing at low resolution (SD quality).

I did send you a P.M. which you don't appear to have picked up yet...

dazmondocus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Post by dazmondocus »

Hi Keith
I did think I'd replied to your PM but having looked this morning there's nothing in the sent folder?!
Short answer though is yes we're OK as being employed.
Thanks

Darren

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Hi, I just realised that you had responded by email, and not by PM, so you were not imagining things after all

In response to your emailed question: - with a work visa you will be entitled to state health care, so shouldn't really need private health insurance, but you should be aware that the nursing care falls short of what you would expect from EU norms, I understand that Families are generally expected to provide some assistance with food and changes of clothing, and to help perform basic hygiene procedures.

On the odd occasions that I have used the State Health care system (albeit on a chargeable basis) I have found the diagnosis and treatment to be adequate.

If you would like to talk to someone who has used the system on the basis of entitlement via a work permit, then forum member snd1966 may have some useful input...

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

Multimax comes with money back guarantee for the unused portion of your account. If you are not happy, you can cancel anytime.

check http://www.mmcyp.com for details.

K.
( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°) Haters will see you walk on water and say it’s because you can’t swim. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
-----
https://www.facebook.com/taskentdogaparki/

dazmondocus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Post by dazmondocus »

Thanks for the replies good people!
Sorry I'm a bit tardy in my responses, thing's are getting a bit hectic around here!

Darren

dazmondocus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Post by dazmondocus »

OK just throwing it out there. Any satellite broadband available and if so your experience's please?

Thanks once again peeps

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

theres a new thread just started in the tv/ sat section about sat internet.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

dazmondocus wrote:OK just throwing it out there. Any satellite broadband available and if so your experience's please?

Thanks once again peeps
The consensus is that it's there, but you wouldn't want it

dazmondocus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Post by dazmondocus »

Yes, just read the thread...

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”