Nord VPN

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

foodie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Nord VPN

•   Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Post by foodie »

Having problems again with Nord VPN. I know I have had valuable advice from Kibkomers which I was very grateful. Only this last few days i am unable to get BBCiplayer. I have been advised by Mr Chinnery to go on to #564 but my UK setting only goes to #530. Sometimes this number works and sometimes not. When it doesn't I go to the nearest which is usually #517 but again it will stop working for a while. I have listed on paper which ones In my area if you like, but they are forever changing. I could go on to Live chat with them as they really are patient but i am in no way technically able to keep up with them when they are telling me what to do. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

PapaBravo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Nord VPN

•   Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Post by PapaBravo »

I use Nord VPN. I have 407, 564 & 588 listed as my favourites and one of them always works when I download programmes. However, I have never tried watching live BBC TV using the VPN.

foodie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Post by foodie »

Hi Papa Bravo, many thanks for your reply. The thing is I never go over 531. I really don't know why. Each time I use a number it works for a short while and then seems to cut off and I have to go through the procedure again to find another one that works. Again many thanks.

foodie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Post by foodie »

Sorry meant to say I cannot get 407 either.

PapaBravo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Post by PapaBravo »

Foodie, I can find 407 and others higher than 531 so I am going to walk you through the process I use. I will take it back to basics - please do not think that I am trying to patronise you, it is just that I am not very computer literate myself and have to stick to a simple process!

1. Select Full Page (small square) - this is the middle of the 3 icons at the very top right of the screen between the - and the X (the reason for doing this will become evident in paragraph 4).

2. Of the 3 options shown at top left, select either Map or Settings (this is simply to reset the 'Countries' page to the correct format. Now select Countries (the middle option).

3. Scroll down the alphabetical list of countries until you come to United Kingdom. Hover the cursor in the UK box but DO NOT left click on the 'Switch On' icon. Instead, click on the icon to the right of it (a circle with 3 horizontal lines in it).

4. You will now see a very long list of UK servers. The ones you are looking for are in the list somewhere, but as they are not listed in numerical order It is easy to miss the ones you want. The procedure below is the one I use to make sure I see them all:
Make sure you are on Full Page, as I advised in paragraph 1 as this allows you to see more servers and allows you to more easily track down through the servers in the list, one server at a time. Make sure you are scrolled to the top of the page, then left click on the first server in the list. Now, left click on it's 'On' icon and it will start spinning. Click on it again immediately and it will stop spinning - leave the cursor hovering in the box. Now, using the Down Arrow on your keyboard you can go through the (very long) list of servers one by one; you can use the wheel on the mouse, but this jumps down the list selecting every fourth server in the list (so you could miss the one you are seeking). When you find the one/s you want left click on the 'heart' on the left of it's box and this will turn the heart pink and that server is now stored in your list of 'Favourites'. When you have selected those you want (I have 407, 564 & 588 at the moment) left click on 'My Favourites' at the top of the page and you should see your chosen servers listed. To discard a server, simply click on it's pink heart. Now, whenever you want to use Nord you just select the 'Favourite' you want and it will switch on and the switch will turn green after a few moments indicating that the VPN is connected.

To ensure that Nord always starts when the computer is switched on, go to the 'Settings' page in Nord, and on the 'General' page, select 'Start NordVPN on startup'. This ensures that it is fired up and ready for use every time I switch on the computer. You have to make sure that no server is selected unless you want to use the VPN - if you do not, and leave the VPN running in the background, it will reduce your bandwidth causing your computer to slow down.

I hope this helps. It is long-winded, and I am sure that there are many folk out there who could achieve the same result in a more efficient manner, but for me it has to be kept simple. Please let me know how you get on.

PapaBravo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Post by PapaBravo »

Msg 5 for the attention of Foodie.

foodie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Post by foodie »

Hi Papabravo,, many thanks for all the effort you have put in to trying to correct my problem. Before last night my husband managed to get #588 but not the way you descibed it but it is very hit and miss. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. We cannot get #407 or #564 even doing it the way you described. #588 disappeared overnight and i can't seem to get it back.
I think there may be something wrong with my connection as i remembered on the live chat I was asked was i in Egypt. I told the guy, i was not, but in Cyprus.
I suppose the only avenue for me to go through is to connect to the chat line again but am dread to do it because they ask me to do some very technical things and even though they are very patient i get really flustered.
Meanwhile i will keep on trying your method today and i thank you so very much again for your input. I will let you know if i manage it.

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

Foodie,
Try logging out of the Nord app and then sign in.
If that doesn't work try deleting the app and re installing it.
Are you trying to use Nord with Windows?

foodie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Post by foodie »

Hi Mr Chinnery. Again I have problems with my computer and this morning it is going back to the guy who reinstalled windows 10 on it after another guy had put in a new hard drive and supposedly sorted it . So hopefully it will be sorted today and i can get the VPN working properly. Many thanks for your input. I will let you know when it is sorted.

foodie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Post by foodie »

Just got my computer back and again tried NordVPN. Still no BBCIplayer. Joined the chatline for advice. I have been told they are having problems with getting BBCIplayer . Said it should be up and running within a few days. Is anyone getting it or am i being fobbed off.

PapaBravo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Post by PapaBravo »

There do appear to be problems at the moment! I couldn't connect on my 'Favourites' so went to 'Countries' then 'Speciality Servers' and hovered the mouse pointer over 'Double VPN', then clicked on the circle with 3 horizontal lines and chose a UK server from the list that came up and clicked 'connect' and I was able to download. Hope this helps.

foodie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

Post by foodie »

Papabravo thank you for your input but are you still able to get BBC Iplayer

PapaBravo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

Post by PapaBravo »

Papabravo thank you for your input but are you still able to get BBC Iplayer
Yes, using the procedure in Msg 11 above.

PapaBravo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Post by PapaBravo »

foodie, I have just used UK #407 to download from Iplayer - no problems.

foodie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Post by foodie »

Thanks for that Papabravo. I can get BBC Iplayer now but once a program finishes the VPN cuts out and i have to change the number back and forth from #588 to 611 these are the only 2 numbers that seem to work for me. Never mind better than nothing as before.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I can't believe the issues that you are having!

Do as Erol does, subscribe to Streamvia.com and use their smartstream service, I went for the 4.99 per month option, then if it all goes titsup, I'm not stuck paying for something that doesn't work!

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”